Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocate to Cork

Options
  • 03-09-2007 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Myself and Hubby (from east Meath) are thinking about uping sticks and moving to County cork. We currently both commute to Dublin city each day & have pretty good jobs (IT & Finance).

Are mains reasons for the move are:
    - better general quality of life ( family down the line)
    - shorter commute
    - bigger house

We are looking at Mallow, Fermoy Youghal towns & surrounding for a max commute to cork city of 30 mins?

How realistic is it to get jobs in cork city for what we do? Any feedback on the above towns, is one much better than the other (no idea!). Is it a case of the grass is always greener ??

Any advice welcome, thanks.
    :):confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

being honest with you, while there are Financial and IT Jobs in cork, it is definitely not over loaded with them.
    I would recommend cork for sure wih regard to all your other reasons, house family, commute etc.

also south of the city like Carrigaline, Crosshaven, Rochestown, Douglas (outer) are areas well worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Best bet for IT Jobs would be

EMC (Ovens - about 25 minutes from Cork City - West)
    http://www.emc.com/hr/

VMware (Ballincollig - 5 minutes from EMC - West)
    http://www.vmware.com/company/jobs/openings/

Apple (Hollyhill - North side - 10 minutes from the City Center)

Boston Scientific (Model Farm Road - 10 minutes from the City Center)

Trend Micro Industrial Estate(same as Boston Scientific)

Theres also a load of places up in the Airport Business Park - Depending on what your gent does

Alot of the Financial Crowds are on South Mall in Cork City
    http://www.goldenpages.ie/search/south_mall_cork/financial_.html

Jobs aren't as plentiful as Dublin, but we don't have over a million people living here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pl_donnelly

hey guys,

Just wondering in relation to IT work available in Cork, as I am an Oracle DBA also considering moving to cork.

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone working in a similar area or indeed as an Oracle DBA. How hard is it to find work and are there positions available often. I have contacted a few recruitment agencies and of course they promise the world?

Looking on cork@it I see that a major figure from oracle paid a recent visit and I would say by the looks of things there are few specific companies that look like possible targets for a oracle job, anybody any ideas?

Any input would be great, like above its the work thing that is the final decider for a move to cork. Apart from the work everything else is looking like a move from Dublin to Cork.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

hey guys,

Just wondering in relation to IT work available in Cork, as I am an Oracle DBA also considering moving to cork.

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone working in a similar area or indeed as an Oracle DBA. How hard is it to find work and are there positions available often. I have contacted a few recruitment agencies and of course they promise the world?

Looking on cork@it I see that a major figure from oracle paid a recent visit and I would say by the looks of things there are few specific companies that look like possible targets for a oracle job, anybody any ideas?

Any input would be great, like above its the work thing that is the final decider for a move to cork. Apart from the work everything else is looking like a move from Dublin to Cork.

Cheers

Try CPL recruitment, that's who I used when I moved back.

cheers mate, gave them a ring alright as they got me the job i`m in now in Dublin. They indicated they had 1/2 jobs on the books but I would like to get a vibe from actual IT workers or anyone that know a bit more about what its like to work in cork as an Oracle DBA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

My missus and I re-located from Meath to Midleton. Both of us work in finance and found jobs without much difficulty. Our salaries are similar to those we were previously on in Dublin. Both of us now have 10 minute commutes compared to up to 90 minutes each way previously! Much better quality of life down here - I would recommend it!

Tonio do you have any problems with traffic in and out of cork city during peak office hours, just I`ve heard depending where you live it can be massive differance in getting in and out? cheers for info, very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mello Yellow

Cheers for info guys !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

We are looking at Mallow, Fermoy Youghal towns & surrounding for a max commute to cork city of 30 mins?

If you intend to commute to Cork City, then you shouldn't be looking in Mallow, Fermoy or Youghal. They're big towns, but long distances from the city. If you insist on living in a decent sized town, but outside of the city, then there's the likes of Carrigaline, Ballingcollig, Blarney, or Midleton. If you have no real need for a big town then there are lots of quieter areas and rural areas within 10 or 15 mins from the city though, e.g., Waterfall, Kerry Pike, Glounthane, Innishannon.

Regarding traffic... the southside is where I've had all my major traffic problems, e.g. Douglas, Carrigaline, Denney's Cross, Sarsfield Rd roundabout. Never had much trouble on the north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Illkillya wrote: »
    If you intend to commute to Cork City, then you shouldn't be looking in Mallow, Fermoy or Youghal. They're big towns, but long distances from the city. If you insist on living in a decent sized town, but outside of the city, then there's the likes of Carrigaline, Ballingcollig, Blarney, or Midleton. If you have no real need for a big town then there are lots of quieter areas and rural areas within 10 or 15 mins from the city though, e.g., Waterfall, Kerry Pike, Glounthane, Innishannon.

Regarding traffic... the southside is where I've had all my major traffic problems, e.g. Douglas, Carrigaline, Denney's Cross, Sarsfield Rd roundabout. Never had much trouble on the north side.

dont agree with that. mallow is perfect, we moved down over a year ago from cork city and love it, great quality of life, extra big house compared to whats on offer for the same price in the city and mallow is a commuter town you must remember,i take the train to work with lots of my colleagues doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

And Cobh is a great commuter town - with a train service to the city. Or the car ferry across the river. The drive from Cobh is about 20 mins if traffic great and 45 mins if delays. Although the town itself is "old" there is a lot of money being put into the town as more and more developments are going up- which can be seen in Daft - one new development at Marinegate, East Hill, Cobh has spectacular harbour views, then there's also the Rushbrook side.

Cobh is close to Carrigtwohill and Little Island (commercial/industrial parks expanding too), or if you ended up working in Ringaskiddy in one of the major pharmaceutical Companies, a car ferry across.

Another thing about Cobh is that the proposed commuter ferry service that has been written about quite recently will "allegedly" begin from there as it is viewed as commercially viable.

I've lived in Cobh for 5 years and work in the city and think it's a great place to chill out, as the surroundings are gorgeous, in the summer the place is buzzing and it's touristville when the Cruise Ships come in. Nice little shops springing up, so don't count it out. J

Advertisement