Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing

Options
  • 03-09-2007 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Quick Question.
    A German friend of mine wishes to import a heat bandage product. It will be sold through retail pharmacists. It is a Japanese product but is made in Poland. He does not own a company and wishes to know what he needs to do in order to import them. I think that all he needs is a VAT number. Am I correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Well there is no requirement to have a VAT registration if your sales are under the requsite number (127K i think) but it may help.

1) Where are you actually buying the product, if Poland then a VAT number will allow you to defer VAT payment until you sell the Product in Ireland, helps cashflow.

2) If purchased in Japan it dosnt matter VAT will be charged on arrival either way by the importer.

3) As a medical product is it VAT rated 0 in ireland, if so and your are sourcing in Poland then you will need a VAT number to achieve the 0 rate unless the product is 0 rated there as well and in this case a VAT number isn't an advantage

4) If not 0 rated then a VAT number will be userful to your customer as they will be able to reclaim VAT you collected as part of no 1 or collected by your imported in the case of 2 above.

There may be a situations where the product is 0 rated in poland or even say 5% and it may look like you can diddle the tax man. Well if you are selling to VAT registerd companies it wont take the revenue long to spot it.

For the official line you can ring the revenue commisionars they are really helpful for this type of stuff.

Advertisement