Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming of Surfing Secret Spots

Options
  • 03-09-2007 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Could I make a request re a thread on the surfing forum. I politely asked for a thread to be edited which mentions a spot in kerry as a surfing location. This spot is regarded as secret spot and as such is covered by a loose but widely observed rule governing the nameing of secret spots on the web. The general rule is that if it is mentioned in the Stormrider guide then it can be named. Please see the ISA (the Irish National Surfing governing bodys )"rule" on this - http://www.isasurf.ie/index.php?page=faq the spot mentioned is not in this guide and is also quite a dangerous beach. When I asked for it to be edited the moderator actually created a new thread called the spot name and posted the correspondence here. This is purely to antagonise. I have no problem with people coming to surf at this spot, I just asked them not to advertise/name it. I'm sure if you check with the ISA or in fact the Kerry Surf club they will confirm. The chairman of the Kerry Surf Club is <snip> or go to http://www.kerrysurfclub.com

thank you in advance

Thanks

Dave

administrator of www.longboardireland.com
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I did not create a new thread. I merged the three threads started by users who signed up today to post about this.
    In my opinion, any public beach which anybody can surf on is liable to be named and discussed. Just because you, and the others are locals in the area doesn't mean that you can dictate that certain beaches names cannot be mentioned online. I feel that that is against the spirit of this bulletin board.

Unfortunately the ISA or Kerry anything asscotiation's opinion on anything doesn't have any bearing on here.

Heres the thread
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055145011

Hopefully an admin will come back with an answer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Is it against Irish Law to name a public beach?
    I am unaware of such a law existing, can you enlighten me on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So.... Let me get this straight.

There is a good surfing spot, slightly dangerous.

A user advertised it.

Some guys that are part of a surfing club who knew about it and kept it secret don't like the fact that anybody outside of their club can now find out about the place and surf there.

You decide to request that a relevant piece of information to the surfing community be removed because of rules you guys made up?

You would have been better off saying nothing and letting it slide into obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

One of the posters went so far as to threaten FuzzyLogic.

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

See this post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:

Its elitism or "localism" as they call it that people arn't holding par with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

daveirl wrote:
    I would agree with you Dave and I understand where the OP is coming from. I do however think that some of the people who joined boards in the last while, with the express purpose of threatening the moderator and causing problems on the forum went about things in a very poor fashion.

Had they been polite about it I'm sure they would not have met the kind of resistence they have met.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

http://www.glensandcoves.com/Location/Swireland.jpg

edit:come to think of it that site is probably breaking OSi copyright with that image. i'll link to it instead

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

[I removed the name and email address from your post. Posting names and/or contact details without that person's knowledge is not permitted]

With all due respect, this seems like internal politics to me. There are no actual rules governing what should and shouldn't be said, only some vague web traditions and frankly very odd and ridiculous mentions of "secret" spots.

Before I could give an opinion on this, I'd like to know why some consider these "secret" spots to be sacred and unmentionable, and also why the isa thinks that mentioning them is "not in the general interest of sustaining surfing here in Ireland".

If the issue is indeed safety, surely the correct procedure is to grade these spots and forewarn everyone about particularly dangerous spots, rather than try to create an unenforcable "don't mention the war" culture?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Boston wrote:
    See this post

That I won't stand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

daveirl wrote:

Nope, its clearly localism. Locals keeping breaks to themselves, secrecy, waxing car windscreens, damaging property and as Carty says, punching the faces of each other on line ups. Childish carry on, should not be encouraged just because it happens in other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 local surfer

I'm making a complaint. This surfing forum is not inkeeping with any other surfing forums or surfing bodies. The lack of a policy surrounding secret/sensitive/dangerous spots is very immature, and will inevitably lead to:

People trying to surf spots that are currently out of their league (I know, the Darwin law should have stopped this type of thing a long time ago), which in turn puts them in danger and others who then have to rescue them (double figures this year guys).

Friction from groups turning up at surf spots that cannot handle a crowd, this can and often does lead to verbal and physical violence, not cool, spoils a perfectly good session.

At the moment you can turn up at many of these spots and be welcomed (almost) with opened arms, because they are still fairly quiet. Hopefully, local surfers will also go to the effort of highlighting the risks, the rips, the rocks, the tides, etc. Once the number (frequency and size) of visitors increases owing to pulicising, this will be lost.

I think the way that the thread ran was very antognistic, and again very immature. I apologise for slipping the K word in, but man, I just couldnt believe the reaction from some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 carty

These are not rules that are made up they are guidelines within the international surfing communitee, similar to the unwritten rules for surf ediquette, right of way when surfing etc. They are printed in almost every publication on learing to surf and further guidelines since the growth of the net have been introduced which see's surf forums world wide using this guideline. As stated above it is the view of the Irish National Club the Irish Surf Association and is followed by every other Irish and international surf forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

lightening wrote:
    Nope, its clearly localism. Locals keeping breaks to themselves, secrecy, waxing car windscreens, damaging property and as Carty says, punching the faces of each other on line ups. Childish carry on, should not be encouraged just because it happens in other places.

QFT. And I think the fact that the ISA claims that keeping secret spots secret is good for the sustainable development of the sport flies in the face of logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

seamus wrote:
    With all due respect, this seems like internal politics to me. There are no actual rules governing what should and shouldn't be said, only some vague web traditions and frankly very odd and ridiculous mentions of "secret" spots.

Before I could give an opinion on this, I'd like to know why some consider these "secret" spots to be sacred and unmentionable, and also why the isa thinks that mentioning them is "not in the general interest of sustaining surfing here in Ireland".

If the issue is indeed safety, surely the correct procedure is to grade these spots and forewarn everyone about particularly dangerous spots, rather than try to create an unenforcable "don't mention the war" culture?

The whole thing stink's of elitism to me; perhaps there is a certain safty element but surely your idea of a grading system would work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

daveirl wrote:

Who was posting up maps???

All I said was that St. Finians bay looked good!

carty wrote:
    These are not rules that are made up they are guidelines within the international surfing communitee, similar to the unwritten rules for surf ediquette, right of way when surfing etc. They are printed in almost every publication on learing to surf and further guidelines since the growth of the net have been introduced which see's surf forums world wide using this guideline. As stated above it is the view of the Irish National Club the Irish Surf Association and is followed by every other Irish and international surf forum.

Boards.ie is a privately operated site, your guidelines meaning nothing in. We don't have to fall in line with other sites.

daveirl: You make solid points, however people are on the one hand talking about people's safty and well being, while on the other hand threating violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i can see where you are coming from Dave but imo if an area is dangerous it should be highlighted not kept secret.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People trying to surf spots that are currently out of their league (I know, the Darwin law should have stopped this type of thing a long time ago), which in turn puts them in danger and others who then have to rescue them (double figures this year guys).
    So instead of making an attempt to highlight dangerous spots, you just try to pretend that they don't exist, and people only hear about them through winks and nods and nudges? Very mature altogether.
    Friction from groups turning up at surf spots that cannot handle a crowd, this can and often does lead to verbal and physical violence, not cool, spoils a perfectly good session.
    Well that's just idiocy. If you get annoyed about there being too many people at your favourite spot, you find a new spot, you don't get violent.

I personally think that the "done thing" is largely irrelevant - mainly because in this short thread and the one before it, no-one has given a decent reason for keeping certain spots secret. It defies logic to me. Just because there's a general agreement, doesn't necessarily mean that's the correct approach.

I get dave's point that
    We respect conventions on boards.ie relating to loads of similar topics, for example the selling of characters in MMOs, the avoiding of spoilers for films/tvs. The banning of scorelines in thread titles in Soccer/Rugby.

None of these things are mandated by law but boards.ie respects conventions and best practice. I don't see why this should be any different.
    However, I don't think boards.ie made these rules because they are the "done thing". They made these rules because that's what the forum regulars wanted. Plenty of online forums allow spoilers and scores to be posted.

And in this case, if the forum regulars think that shushing certain spots is the right thing to do, then perhaps it should be done. But I wouldn't recommend that it's done just because everyone else does it.

RuggieBear wrote:
    i can see where you are coming from Dave but imo if an area is dangerous it should be highlighted not kept secret.

I agree. Look at it this way, you've a user who notices a spot he hasn't been to before (unaware of any of the secret bull) and says it looks good. The right course of action would have been to inform him of the dangers if they exist. We all know of the site now, sure every one that reads one of my 11 thousands posts will, why not tells us about the exact dangers?

daveirl wrote:

usually for a good reason though, rather then 'see you at surf'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

daveirl wrote:

As I would understand it those conventions are in place because they suit the users of boards.ie, and just happen to be in line with what other sites do.

Boston wrote:
    Boards.ie is a privately operated site, your guidelines meaning nothing in. We don't have to fall in line with other sites.

daveirl: You make solid points, however people are on the one hand talking about people's safty and well being, while on the other hand threating violence.

Thats human nature for you, two sides to every coin. What is being explained to you is the dual side of the argument that is pretty much universally accepted within the surfing world. Your lack of knowledge of said rules (however unofficial - see common sense) indicates that you are not very experienced within the surfing realm, and your attitude implies that you would be one of the ones I would be having to drag out of a rip.

I have never, ever met an experienced surfer who does not understand and accept these arguments.

I believe the purpose of the thread was not to stop people from surfing different spots, just to not mention them on a public surfing forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

daveirl wrote:

But these are OUR conventions, we created them and maintain them.

What's happening here is a bunch of new people joining to say: you can't do that because we don't like it.

Big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

daveirl wrote:

All of these rules and guidelines in the forums mentioned were implemented because the users of the forums asked for it. The selling of characters in Wow is hated by the Wow community on boards, the spoilers for tv/fim/sports because nobody who use's the forums wants to be told the score before seeing the match without asking for it.

What we have here is new people coming onto boards, from a outside club, posting rules used on other forums. I don't use the surfing forums, but I don't think I have seen any regular posters give out about this. Just the locals. This just smells entirely of elitism and the deliberate censoring on information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It makes sense but anyone who is taught to surf should be taught all this stuff as well.

Cant hold with trying to restrict others from public places knowledge.

Wonder how long before I can Write to the Ireland Rough Guide/Lonely Planet

• Advertisement

Well, I have tried.

See you in the rip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement