Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming of Surfing Secret Spots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Finally I would like to meet Fuzzylogic and lightening to discuss this further in person. Please pm your phone numbers and the next time you are travelling the 250 miles from Dublin I'll hook up with you.
    Look you asked something, it was denied.
    I referred it to the sports cat mod, same deal.
    You kept at it, I referred you to the feedback forum to ask the admin.
    Its not antagonistic, I think that you are letting your passion for the lifestyle cloud your mind and rationality.
    I don't have anything against you personally, as you do to me and as such won't be giving you my phone number. Its not a personal issue, its a policy issue. Feel free to debate it to death (as I'm sure you all will) but to be honest its climbing the search ranks already.
    I just have a few principles, and one of those is that information should be freely shared and not hoarded by those who benifet from it.
    You're not going to change my mind on this, unfortunately.

Also, simply because I'm not from south west Kerry does not mean I am from Dublin (I'm not) and its fairly childish of you to say so.

As I pointed out early on, pushing this issue would only serve to boost the google rank of the beach. Instead of quietly ignoring it, and maybe having one or two or more than likely no new people at your local break, you might get a few more now.
    The more people post on this thread, the higher the area will be on google for "secret surfing spot kerry".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Who are you to say what people can and can't do? Do you own the beach? Have land or passage rights on the property?

See, the fishermen were years ahead of the surfers in all this. If you come to one of our rivers without a licence, we'll send the warden around with a big stick.

Of course, owning the banks generally helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Hmm.

To me, this just smacks of territorialism. The safety aspect of it should be clearly labelled and regulated... safety (as is security) through obscurity really seems to me to be a false argument.

Fuzzy has my support on this.

PS No one eat at *********'s restaurant on ****** St. Its really tasty but you could maybe choke on something. Plus there's never a free table :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Meh. Keep on pissing on those lamp posts boys. Sekrit beach my ar$e.

league640.jpg

This is a local beach, for local people...

As for the "surfers' code", it's nothing more than the warning on a cigarette box. You can read it, but that doesn't make it a rule.

Daft mentions it... You'd better have a look at this... They broke the sekrit too... http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=275176&search=1

Oh Noes.. Pictures!!!! How secret is this place, if the locals are pimping it?
    http://homepage.mac.com/aquamanatee/PhotoAlbum146.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Tell him I can't have babies mikedragon32!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Image-1CDB7CE6B84C11D9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

One of the most important events in surfing becoming an International pursuit, rather than the local custom or one territory (I can't recall whether Hawaii was a kingdom a US territory or a state at the time, but I vaguely think it was during the territory period) was when people of European descent started surfing some of the taboo breaks.

This wasn't a matter of the Kānaka people wanting to keep their spots to themselves or thinking it was "relatively dangerous" but a matter of it being against their religion and an extremely dangerous act of hubris against the gods (indeed, quite a few gathered around as they thought watching white people kill themselves would be amusing).

Still, the breaks turned out to not be inevitably fatal and indeed quite enjoyable. It was an important point in the history in that it marked a new degree of separation between the act of surfing and Hawaiian culture and religion.

Quite ironic to have these complaints really, if people hadn't broken a much stronger rule of which breaks you can surf there'd likely not be any surfing in Ireland at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Boston wrote:
    Image-1CDB7CE6B84C11D9.jpg
    Dammit Boston. You're good.

Asok wrote:
    Tell him I can't have babies mikedragon32!
    We'll have no trouble here!

smashey wrote:
    Dammit Boston. You're good.
    For following my link? :)

• Advertisement

For following my link? :)
    He showed good initiative. :)

smashey wrote:
    He showed good initiative. :)
    :(

Is it nearly time for the cat pics?

:(

Is it nearly time for the cat pics?
    Surf cat dude. :D

1314995489_e70c970879_o.jpg

My first cat pic post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

lolcatsdotcom4ar7l5uogkvslfyg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Who are you to say what people can and can't do? Do you own the beach? Have land or passage rights on the property? No? Then you have nothing to say. I'm probably violating the surfers magic code like a sodomite in an ass factory here, but seriously. Cop on.

I never told anyone what to do, I'm asking politely that people respect the custom of not naming unlisted surfing spots online. Who am I to ask that? As I already said I am the chairman of an ISA affiliated surf club, administrator of a local surfing website and moderator on a national surfing website.
    Nobody is saying you can't surf there, of course you can surf there. But it is customary not to list the spot online unless it is listed in the Stormriders Guide. As the ISA website says, it's not an "Irish thing".

It certainly does smack of elitism and territorialism, and you know what you're right. Surfers are notoriously territorial, and we won't apologise for that. There's also a pecking order at most breaks, so it's very hierarchial. There's a lot more to this than just "Locals Only", which nobody on here ever said, somehow it was taken up that way.

Unfortunately this has turned into a slagging match and I was really hoping it wouldn't.

Talliesin, I appreciate the irony there. Of course there are still plenty of Hawaiian spots that are off limits to non-locals. That really is "Locals Only" territory at some spots over there. We don't have it bad here at all, in general.

Unfortunately the upshot of all of this is that more and more people will arrive down there which will only lead to aggression in the water. If you take Castlegregory as an example there were several fights in the water this summer alone solely due to over crowding. Think of it as putting 20 junkies into a locked room with one syringe and you've got the idea! :)

I tried to be reasonable about this through the whole thread yet people who have no true understanding of the issue are accusing me of telling people what they can and can't do, which I never did. I can see where ye are coming from though, believe me I can. But I don't think anyone who hasn't surfed for a good length of time will truly appreciate the issue.

So I've had my say and it doesn't look like anything will be done. Can we stop the **** slinging now and get back to our normal lives please?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

To me it sounds like it's not the number of people that is the problem... it is the strangely aggressive territorial culture you guys have managed to develop

Well it's managed to develop pretty much all around the world where there are waves. Human nature I guess, as a surfer you do get very protective of your waves. I'll agree it's an ugly side to it, but it'd be boring if it was all smiles and group hugging! This thread wouldn't exist for starters! :)

Also, the number of people in the water and the level of aggression are intrinsically linked. I was going to write a thesis on it!

Enygma, you may not have espoused the whole territorial thing, but several of the posters on this thread have issued veiled and not so veiled threats against a Moderator and they have done your cause no favours whatsoever.

If rugby clubs behaved like those posters there would be no decent rugby in this country. Imagine if D'Arcy or Horgan were threatened and punched the first time they went to train for a rugby club because they weren't part of a tribe or local or whatever? What makes that even more ironic is that Rugby clubs are private but welcome newcomers with open arms. Your supporters are getting pissy about a public beach.

Oh come on, I've distanced myself from those threats at least once if not more. Don't try to tar me with that brush.

• Advertisement

I'm not tarring you with any brush and also stated that you didn't partake in the whole territorial thing.

Read my post again.

I am merely stating that as long as we have posters who claim to have the interests of your sport at heart posting in such a fashion, then that sport comes across in a very poor light.

After all, the Beach Boys didn't write songs about waxing the windscreen of some noob's car...

Did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

RuggieBear wrote:
    To me it sounds like it's not the number of people that is the problem... it is the strangely aggressive territorial culture you guys have managed to develop
    It's a carry-over from the states. As easrly as the 80's (and maybe earlier), people would get the sh|t kicked out of them for going on a beach "owned" by a certain gang.

Was never a big fan of the Beach Boys to be honest :)

I think that they portray surfing in a much more realistic light than the newspapers have over the last few months. It's not all primroses and daffodils.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

the_syco wrote:
    It's a carry-over from the states. As easrly as the 80's (and maybe earlier), people would get the sh|t kicked out of them for going on a beach "owned" by a certain gang.
    pointbreakstars.jpg

henbane wrote:
    pointbreakstars.jpg
    Hey! This thread isn't for you. Be careful I don't wax your keyboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Enygma wrote:
    I think that they portray surfing in a much more realistic light than the newspapers have over the last few months. It's not all primroses and daffodils.

All I can see is guys paddling in cold wintry Irish seas during July waiting for a wave taller than a foot to come.

Hey! This thread isn't for you. Be careful I don't wax your keyboard!

Something tells me you didn't quite make the debating team in school...can we close this thread please? unless people are willing to actually contribute constructively?

nesf, July is the flattest time of year. The surf here can get quite big over the winter.

Enygma wrote:
    can we close this thread please? unless people are willing to actually contribute constructively?
    Welcome to Feedback.

This is our beach!

touche :)

Carry on with your **** slinging and back slapping then.

• Advertisement

surfcatfx6.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement