Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming of Surfing Secret Spots

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'll also hope you agree that the majority of surfers involved in this arguement are not involved in the threats made and are just as disgusted by them as you are. I really don't think they have any more relevance unless your are discussing them directly with the people who made those threats. Perhaps we would all leave them out of the discussion from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Enygma wrote:
    There are certain members that have antagonised us though, by putting it in sigs simply to wind people up. Equally as childish I hope you'll agree.

Yes, I agree that this action is stupid and childish and will reflect badly on boards.ie's surfing forum, although the antagoniser is not a surfer himself. Ultimately, though, longboardirl et. al. shot themselves in the foot by attempting to police the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Christ almighty! that is not true. If you actually read the thread you will see that I asked who the mods were and I pm'd them.
    My apologies. I have the chronology arseways so.

True, I do think that they would have achieved more by joining boards, making a contribution to the surfing forum and then bringing up the discussion when they were more established.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Christ almighty! that is not true. If you actually read the thread you will see that I asked who the mods were and I pm'd them. Then the mod to antagonise me renamed the thread with the location in the title and published the PM;s as did another user. Now that I think of it the surfing forum mods are even more culpable. And thats it gone.......

He claimed early on to have simply merged several of the threads started by you and the others, this included one of the names. I don't think any of the regular surfers on boards.ie tried to antagonise you, just some of the Feedback usuals who like to hang around stirring up sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

@Evil Phil: Well I tried that and it didn't work either.

@Enygma: ho hum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

i'd say they would of had more success approaching the original poster of the location and telling them they are now a member of the secret surf location in kerry society, inflate their ego a little, then simply ask them to keep this location a secret amongst only their closest friends, then ask that person to edit his post to remove reference to it. If the original poster would of approached a mod to delete his own topic I doubt he would of objected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

L31mr0d wrote:
    i'd say they would of had more success approaching the original poster of the location and telling them they are now a member of the secret surf location in kerry society, inflate their ego a little, then simply ask them to keep this location a secret amongst only their closest friends, then ask that person to edit his post to remove reference to it. If the original poster would of approached a mod to delete his own topic I doubt he would of objected.

I would have just left it. I am anti localism. I certainly wouldnt start another thread with the spot named as the title though.

The whole thing is a sorry mess now, I'm half sorry I named the spot and I'm pissed off at people telling me to edit my posts from ages ago.

The major issue is the safety issue. IF ANYONE IS GOING TO SURF THERE, PLEASE NOTE ENYGMA'S WARNINGS.

Leave the place cleaner than you got it.
    Buy local.
    Respect the locals.
    Park considerably.
    Close gates.
    Wait your turn.

Can we drop it now?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Enygma wrote:
    There are certain members that have antagonised us though, by putting it in sigs simply to wind people up. Equally as childish I hope you'll agree.

I agree that it's childish and has been done in such a way as to wind people up, but at the same time there's an important difference between the editorial policy of boards.ie (which is what's allowing the locations to be discussed at all) and the way it is exercised (which is Boston putting things in his sig just to wind people up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Yes, I think so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement