Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flights booked... now where to Ski?

• 03-09-2007 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

We have booked our flights for 1st week in February '08 (Dublin to Geneva).

Now we need to decide on a ski resort & hotel.

Asks:

* All Skiers.
    * Range: Beginning Intermediate to Good Intermediate.
    * Want decent variety of slopes (Red or Blue) but doesn't have to be vast.
    * Looking for a decent hotel (good 3 star to 4 star).
    * Easy access to slopes a bonus.
    * Not looking for top nitelife, but a variety of restaurants/bars would be nice.

Any suggestions please given we are flying into Geneva?
    Would like to keep it to approx 2 hrs bus journey or less.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

im heading to Tignes Jan which might be good for your group but there are a good few resports within two hours

I have a book which callwed 'Snowboarding the World' its by footprint and gives you lots of info about resorts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Hey,

We went to Chamonix last year.

-Huge range of slopes and resorts, Green, Blue, Red and Black slopes, most within easy access of the town, some are a very short bus / drive away.
    -About and hour's drive from Geneva
    -Loads of restraunts and some very good bars.
    -We stayed in a Villa so can't comment on hotels, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

If you want to stay Swiss side, Gstaad is just outside your time-range, but worth considering. I ski that area every winter. In fact, the Zweisimmen-Gstaad area is about 95% of all my skiing. Massive range of slopes.

The *only* thing is that if we have a winter like last year, you'll be short on good slopes (although Les Diablerets is near enough that there should always be at least somewhere to go. Having said that, the time-frame you're talking about is arguably the best time of year there for betting on fresh snow.

You can get a train from Geneva Airport to Montreux, then another train to Gstaad itself (www.rail.ch). Trains mean no traffic-jams, no problems with icy roads, and the Swiss rail system generally works.

Its almost certainly gonna be more expensive than France, though from what I've read, the prices at the end of the market you seem to be talking about are supposed to be coming closer and closer together.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Thanks, I'll read up on all those.

Got a verbal recommendation on "La Tania". Seems a small enough village but has the basics (ski hire/bars/restaurants). Also, can get gondola/lifts to high enough where you can ski a lot of the 3 valleys (given the right pass).

Any experience/opinions on "La Tania"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

would highly recommend chamonix its a handy 1 hour drive from geneva. Hotels are lovely, great restaurants and plenty of slopes for all ranges. I am going there again this year the end of jan looking forward to it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Whats Andora like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 doogo

would recommend Zermatt - good variety of everything skiing and eating - a little outside the 2 hour limit but doable

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

i would put my vote in for Zermatt too, train system is excellent, have special ski transfer tickets. Took about 3-4 hrs to get there though, but not as stressful as bus / car. It is very expensive, but the town is amazing and seems to be pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ousty

DaDa

You asked about “La Tania”
    La Tania is what is called a “satellite” Village
    It was built accommodate reporters and computers for the winter Olympics. It has an 8 man “tele-cabine” (bubble)
    From the bottom of the village, then you ski down a few hundred yds take a chair lift to the top,
    (Col de la Loze) then you can ski down to Courchevel 1850
    There is a nice blue run back to the Village
    The village its self is small 2 pubs 2 restaurants and a small mini supermarket it is part of the 3 valleys.
    It also has a motorhome park "crappy"
    If you have a few grand to spend, then go shopping in Courchevel

If you would like a very nice ski resort 45min drive from Geneva try Les Gets .It is part of the “portes du soleil” area it is a lovely village lots going on excellent ski area
    For beginners to good intermediates. Plenty of good hotels and for catered chalets try www.snowteam.com
    We stayed with them a few years ago they pick you up from Geneva A/P and drop you back.Exelent Food free wine !!!
    ousty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RectalWareZ

thegoth wrote: »
    Whats Andora like ?

I went to andora (pas) bout 2 seasons ago! Found it great for the beginners and intermediates, not many blacks though. Towards the end of the week began to find it quite limited. Tax free country so cigerettes and whiskey quite cheap! Fine to go there 1 or 2, would probably get bored of it after a while. Lots of english, they appreciate it if you speak Catalan! its a bit like irish mixed with spanish :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement