Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coloured side-lights

Options
  • 03-09-2007 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi all...

I was wondering what exactly the law is on coloured sidelights (or parking lights). I see plenty of cars with blue/green/red lights. I know they are *technically* illegal, but has anybody any experience of hassle from the law over them? I haven't seen anything in the rules of the road about penalties, and it doesn't seem to be on the penalty points list. What's the worst they can do? Fine you?

Similarly for rear licence plate illumination. The rules of the road doesn't specify what colour they should be.

I had a look through the boards here to see if this has already been discussed. I'm sure it must have been, but I didn't find it. Apologies if this has been answered a million times.

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Youre probably looking at failing the NCT for one. Secondly, if you do get stopped by the guards chances are they will comment on them. Moreso, if the rest of your car is modded externally. I reckon you could fall foul of

*Vehicle not equipped with required lights*

offence, which carries a fixed charge of 1 point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hyundai_owner

bobmeaney wrote:
    Youre probably looking at failing the NCT for one. Secondly, if you do get stopped by the guards chances are they will comment on them. Moreso, if the rest of your car is modded externally. I reckon you could fall foul of

*Vehicle not equipped with required lights*

offence, which carries a fixed charge of 1 point.
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

Just wondering where you saw that 1 point penalty. It's not on the list here:
    http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

Regarding the NCT, I would simply swap them out for the test.

I'm not too worried about the cops *commenting* on my lights!! I just don't want penalty points/fines/court appearances! ;)

The rest of my car isn't modified, and I would be against any modifications which I consider dangerous anyway. I just think blue sidelights and number plate lights on a blue car look nice! :cool:

I'm aware that *flashing* blue/red lights are explicitly reserved for emergency services.
    http://www.irishmotoring.ie/cms/publish/car/rulesoftheroad/Vehicle_Safety.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Are you talking about proper blue lights rather than the blue-white lights (as distinct from the more usual yellow-white type)? If so, please don't get them! There are enough tits driving around with them already.

Yeah... I mean blue LED lights. I respect your right to dislike them, but I think it's a matter of personal preference.
    I don't see why people have such a big issue with them. No one's going to mistake me for a garda car or anything.
    I don't think they'll bother anyone else on the road. Much less so than the tits who drive around with their rear fog lights on 24/7! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/vehicle_offences.php gives a full list of infringements relating to the vehicle itself. By the sounds of it dude, you should be ok. But its like anything else to do with non standard parts on a car... all it takes is one cop being picky!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that link bob.

So it would appear that although non-standard sidelights is *DUE* to become an offense, it doesn't seem to be punishable at the moment.

Assuming the rest of my car is fully legal (which it is), I have nothing to worry about. I'm probably just more likely to be pulled over at checkpoints or breathalised... but I don't have to worry about any of that :D

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Many moons ago i had them on one of my cars,i passed many a checkpoint and nothing was ever said,probably down to the fact you couldnt actually notice them when normal driving lights were on

Yeah....

I was also considering putting a switch inline with the fuse that protects the sidelights (which I think is independant to other lights), and wiring the switch into the car, so I could switch off the sidelights when the headlights are on if I see a checkpoint at night.

It's a lot of hassle wiring that into the car from under the bonnet though.

Advertisement