Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #5 - Rush - 2112

• 03-09-2007 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't going to be long before Rush got here. ;)

Great album. I'd probably be more of a Moving Pictures man myself (Can't beat YYZ) but 2112 is just awesome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Scheeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooowwwwww......

Duh Dah!

Dah Duh!

Duh Dah!

Dah Duh Dah! Dah Duh Dah!

Fúcking epic song. In terms of an album, the other tracks aren't all that great. But the title track is just so good.....

The Temples of Syrinx is one of the most powerful pieces of music I've ever heard, what a voice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What a great album. Going down the country last week, hooked up the old discman, had this blasting out. Yup, my dad was impressed!

Neil Peart is a god amongst men. One of my favourite albums. Can pretty much always put it on and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Great album. Loved it since the day it was released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Amazing album! Not so much as a whole, as Rush have better songs than some on this album, but the song 2112 is just brilliant, I love it

I picked up the Rush in Rio DVD last week, only €12 in HMV, watching them play 2112 is something else, although it is just the first two parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

I think i may have to buy this album, are the rest of the tracks as good as this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

mc nuggets wrote:
    I think i may have to buy this album, are the rest of the tracks as good as this

The video is only about one third of the song 2112, the whole song is just as good. The other songs on the album don't quite match up to 2112, but still, the album is worth it just for that song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Delighted this made it. 2112 was my introduction to Rush, and needless to say I've been in their thrall ever since. They certainly produced much better albums than 2112 but this was their make or break. After the commercial failure of Caress of Steel, with its much derided side spanning Fountain of Lamneth, what better way to stick it to the record company than follow that up with a side spanning epic about the individual spirit begin crushed by a futuristic totalitarian priesthood which rule a Solar system wide federation? These guys have some mighty cohonas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

It's a fine album, the title track is excellent. As people have already said, the rest of the album isn't quite as good (although 'A Passage to Bangkok' is great) but I'd recommend it on the strength of '2112' itself.

A good introduction to Rush's earlier work, can't wait til next month! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

"Something for Nothing" was the first song I ever heard by Rush back in the 70's, what a great track. Although I have a soft spot for 'We are the priests of the Temple of Syrinx', they dont write them like that anymore! In fact wouldn't it be great if they truly existed and went around smashing up guitars, in particular the guitar that belongs to that cherub faced fecker from Mcfly with the weird hair and shoved it up his hole.

Also the album artwork should get a mention as one of those covers thats instantly recognisable and launched a million T-shirts! In fact it must be one of the only albums that the back stands out more than the front cover, thanks to the starman logo

Cant wait to see them in Manchester this October

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

yeahhh had to be album of the week sooner or later,,,great stuff...my first RUSH album too! ...in fact back in late 70's amongst us rockers of that time, it was a MUST have like led zep4 or the first sabbath album etc...you were just a wannabe rocker if ya didnt have 2112 in yur collection :)
    Finallyyy the message is hitting home over here..pity people at large dont know of em...imagine their show at slane??..ahhh blow the others away for sure!!

good stuff the hungus....Baggio.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A worthy winner, an Iconic Album Sleeve, most important, an absolute Classic album with the timeless masterpiece that is 2112.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Been in my CD player and played every day for about 2 months now. Love the album! Can't wait til Oct 10!!

Advertisement