Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling to Plasterboard V Tiling to Skimmed plasterboard

Options
  • 03-09-2007 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether it is better to place tiles on a plasterboard or skimmed plasterboard surface? My plasterer is in the house at the moment and I need to know if its ok to leave plasterboarded walls or do I need to skim it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭coolerhash

yeah you be fine tiling onto the plasterboard without it being skimmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

It is acceptable to tile directly on to plasterboard. Your tiler will probably score the plasterboard first to give a better bond.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cheaper to leave them, saves u money in the long run.

Just make sure all the plasterboard screws are in correctly as a protruding screw will shatter the tile.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

best bet is to use cement based board and tile directly on to it in wet areas if you do have a leak /water penetration thru tiles your covered

plasterboard is pretty much useless once it becomes water damaged

http://www.greenspan.ie/

http://www.knauf.ie/product_range/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

You wont be able to get the tiles down in the future ,if the wall is not bonded or skimmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

What about plywood? Not sure about the thickness or grade. I am halving a room to turn into an ensuite so instead of putting up plasterboard wall I was thinking about a plywood wall. I am tiling anyway so it shouldn't make a difference or should it.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

_Brian_ wrote:
    You wont be able to get the tiles down in the future ,if the wall is not bonded or skimmed.

I'm with Brian on this. If there are any leaks your plasterboard would turn to mush.....Skim it and then seal it with bonding. Might as well, seeing as you have the plasterer on site.

If you decide not to skim it, you should give the wet area's a full layer of adhesive, rather than ridged. (Should be no need to score the plasterboard, there's already enough of a key on it as tiling adhesive is strong, sometimes tilers even tile directly onto old tiles....)

I've never heard of anyone using plywood but if you do this on the bathroom side use at least 12mm marine plywood as 9mm or less would be too flexible and tiles may loosten. Again, you can tile directly onto marine ply.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth but I'm not a professional, just a keen DIY'er :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

Water resistant ply (not marine ply unless you own the bank :) ) is the way to go imho.

I have two upstairs showers and the ply is the same thickness as pasterboard (can't remember exact thickness off the top of my head) bout 40 Eur per sheeet.

the ply will also add more rigidity to a studded partition than plasterboard. and will be a stronger base for shower fittings, gadgets, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I put up waterproof ply all round ,in bathrooms that I install myself. I don't tile ,just get the bathroom ready for them.

Never had any trouble with plyed bathrooms.

Have only ever seen one bathroom leak ,the walls were all tiled directly to plasterboard and the ceiling underneath fell down:(

Advertisement