Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Airforce Uniform

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

It's Irish Air Corps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

'The Number 2 Dress Uniform is worn during formal engagements other than ceremonial.' Well I'm glad they cleared that up. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Steyr wrote:
    It's Irish Air Corps.

The Royal Irish Air Corps?

No its The Irish Air Corps. Nothing Royal about it. I smell a troll.:mad:

Steyr wrote:
    No its The Irish Air Corps. Nothing Royal about it. I smell a troll.:mad:

I smell a pedant!

I used airforce as a generic term. The Uk has one, The US has one, Canada and Australia. Most other English speaking countries.

Even Wikipedia refers to Ireland having an airforce
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Defence_Forces

The dictionary.com definition is
    the airborne branch of a country's armed forces

If I had been speaking German I may have referred to the Air Corps as a Luftwaffe.

• Advertisement

It's and air force called the 'Irish Air Corps' just like the we have a police force called 'An Garda Siochana'.

Now is everybody happy? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I smell a pedant!

It's Air Corps. Nothing pedantic about pointing that out. The UK, US, Canada and others also have an Air Corps. Those are branches of their armies, same as ours. Their Air Forces are not branches of their armies.

Slow coach wrote:
    It's Air Corps. Nothing pedantic about pointing that out. The UK, US, Canada and others also have an Air Corps. Those are branches of their armies, same as ours. Their Air Forces are not branches of their armies.

Fair enough, I gave it the wrong name. But surely you can understand what I am getting at. I am not from this country so am more likely to use the more generic term. When I was in Thailand and saw their military jets, I referred to them as the Thai Air Force. I have no idea of their official name.

Now the Thai Air Force's correct term is "The Royal Thai Air Force". Im confused as to why you called our Irish Air Corps the "Royal Irish Air Corps"? We do not have a King Or Queen or any Royalty in Ireland and surely you must know enough History to know That the 26 County Republic Of Ireland is a Soverign State and not a Part of the United Kingdom anymore right?

I called it "Royal Irish Air Corps" because I thought you were picking holes in my use of the word AIRFORCE because it was too similar to the RAF. In for a penny, in for a pound. If I am going to annoy a pedant, may as well do it in style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you're just here to annoy people, I predict a succesful but very short career.

If I am going to annoy a pedant, may as well do it in style.

Perhaps you need to look up the meaning of the word 'pedant'.

Slow coach wrote:
    Perhaps you need to look up the meaning of the word 'pedant'.

Dictionary.com states:
    a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details

With the emphasis on the latter.

I am not trying to annoy people. I thought my second post had a modicum of humour to it.

Read the posts I have written on the military forum. Do they seem like they are here simply to annoy people?

Dictionary.com states:

Dictionary.com states:
    Quote:
    a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details

With the emphasis on the latter.

Exactly. It is not a minor detail to refer to the Irish Army Air Corps as the Royal Irish Air Force. An Air Corps is not an Air Force. The Air Corps is a branch of the Army. They wore Army uniforms until some time in the 90s. None of these are minor details.

Is their function not the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

Why do they mention a g-suit? The vast majority of the Air Corps' aircraft are prop-driven, so blackout at high-G's is unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

Is their function not the same?
    Function is the same, but administratively they are different. During WWII, for example, the US didn't have an Air Force (it was established in 1947), but they did have the Air Corps, which was part of the Army.

Soldier>Fire Team>Squad>Platoon>Company>Battalion>Regiment>Brigade>Corps>Army

A corps is part of a larger arm of a nation's defence. A force stands on it's own. :)

bostonian, the PC-9 can pull +7 Gs and - 3.5. A G-suit would be handy at those stresses. The most I ever pulled was + 5. That was not so bad. It was the minus G that made me sick.:o While you can brace for high G, it's bit like constipation:( A G-suit saves all that effort.

I must correct on the US Air Corps thing. The US Army Air Corps was renamed the US Army Air Force in I think 1941, before their war anyway. I'm sure it's on net somewhere. It remained part of the army of course until after the war.

Otherwise you are correct. Incidentally I never did get the point of the new blue uniforms of the Air Corps. Why didn't they rename it as an air force when that happened?

I pulled +7 and -3.5 in Yak 52, G-MCCY. The IAC G Suits and flight suits are US Made and the same as the USAF F-16/15 Jockeys use.

cp251 wrote:
    Incidentally I never did get the point of the new blue uniforms of the Air Corps. Why didn't they rename it as an air force when that happened?
    A change of jumper colour hasn't increased the combat potential, so why cod ourselves by calling it an Air Force. They got a new wardrobe not jet fighters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Back to topic now, when you read this Dress code, you wonder if someone is taking piss. From the other hand after reading this you will always remember that:

Dress No.1: Ceremonial Dress, also known as Service Dress 1 is worn on special occasions including Presidential Guard of Honours and Military funerals among others.Ceremonial Dress, also known as Service Dress No. 1 is worn on special occasions including Presidential Guard of Honours and Military funerals among others.Ceremonial Dress, also known as Service Dress No. 1 is worn on special occasions including Presidential Guard of Honours and Military funerals among others. Black gloves.

Dress No.2: The Number 2 Dress Uniform is worn during formal engagements other than ceremonial. The Number 2 Dress Uniform is worn during formal engagements other than ceremonial. The Number 2 Dress Uniform is worn during formal engagements other than ceremonial.

The Number 2 Dress Uniform is worn during formal engagements other than ceremonial. The Number 2 Dress Uniform is worn during formal engagements other than ceremonial.

No gloves

Working dress: Air Corps Officers wear a blue "V" necked sweater, pale blue shirt, blue slacks and black shoes. This uniform is worn in many job roles including Air Traffic Control and Office work.

Officers working dressOfficers working dressOfficers working dress

Sorry just couldn't resist

The content on the site is just filler text. I'm sure someone was supposed to draw up the proper text and put it in place but never got around to it.

I was just surprised that they let it go live like that and that nobody has spent the time to look over it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Funnily enough, the sites author is Air Corps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

It's a disgrace, that's what it is.

Somebody has to be responsible for the web presentation and somebody has to see it before it gets published. Or maybe not :rolleyes:

Drop them an email. I might stir them into doing what's needed.

Hagar wrote:
    Drop them an email. I might stir them into doing what's needed.
    Send one to Willie too, and tell him MATS everywhere else stands for MILITARY AIR TRANSPORT SERVICE.

By the way, is a mod not going to change my offensive title?

Ok, your official title is now "The Mighty Terrontress, Lady Troll to the Military Forum".

Anything else I can do for you? :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, can you explain the history of the Irish Air Corps roundel?

Advertisement