Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest at GNIB

Options
  • 03-09-2007 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

Check out details on http://http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=18506 Ireland section.
    We are protesting the violation of EU law carried out by INIS in attempting to deport non-eu nationals married to eu nationals that have not first lived in another member state. The EU has come down against the Irish government saying that it violates their rights.
    The Irish government is appealing this decision in all it's arrogance!
    Other issues to be highlighted are the ridiculous processing times for Long Term Residency (increased from 3 mts to over a year)and Citizenship (from 2 years to 3).
    After paying taxes for five years and obeying the law the Minister for Justice is screwing every non-eu national in this country by lengthening these times while at the same time ENTEMP is making it harder to get a work permit or a green card.
    I'm sorry I don't have links at the moment. Most of it is on the above link.

Comments

It's one of the most stupid jobsworth decisions I've seen to date.
    I mean whats wrong with just having an investigative department to scrutinise dodgy marriages ala the Green card film?
    Throwing everyone out in the category where they entered the EU outside of Ireland seems silly.It's beyond silly,it's stupid and in my opinion arrogant.

Unless someone here can come up with a valid reason for this? I can think of none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Tristrame wrote:
    It's one of the most stupid jobsworth decisions I've seen to date.
    I mean whats wrong with just having an investigative department to scrutinise dodgy marriages ala the Green card film?
    Throwing everyone out in the category where they entered the EU outside of Ireland seems silly.It's beyond silly,it's stupid and in my opinion arrogant.

Unless someone here can come up with a valid reason for this? I can think of none.

It's not stupid if the intent is to get rid of every non-eu that has contributed to the economy of the past several years is their aim.

I don't think it's even as simple as that.
    It seems to me that it's somebody driving the ship with a chip on their shoulder-thats all.
    It shouldnt get past the E.U.
    They're(the Irish authorities) probably wasting their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭banaman

Tristrame wrote:
    It seems to me that it's somebody driving the ship with a chip on their shoulder-thats all.

Brian Kerr certainly thinks so:-

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=41663-qqqx=1.asp

Also DJELR are becoming increasingly harder to contact and more entrenched in their positions.

Their phone line is only open from 10-12.30 Mon, Weds, & Fri.
    and is permanently busy. Even in cases which are urgent (for instance when they, DJELR, lose personal documents or mail them to the wrong address) there is no way to get clarification about what's happened and what steps are being taken to rectify the problem.

They expect migrants to be punctual and to respond to requests from themselves promptly but fail to adhere to anything like the same standards themselves. Hypocrisy and bullying of those they know have no comeback against them, are all to characteristic of their dealings with migrants.

Its about time our civil(?) servants(??) actually were made accountable and open in their dealings with ALL residents of the state whether they have a vote or not.

I ain't gonna hold my breath though.

http://www.village.ie/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=266

Though old news still doesn't paint a picture that squares with the Ceud Mille Failte image does it?

Tristrame wrote:
    I don't think it's even as simple as that.
    It shouldnt get past the E.U.
    They're(the Irish authorities) probably wasting their time.

Do you mean Lenihan? What chip would that be

• Advertisement

No I would mean the back office that are the advisors and controlers of this who have nothing else better to be doing than exercising a bit of power.
    Give little people a little power and some of them let it go to their head.

Tristrame wrote:
    No I would mean the back office that are the advisors and controlers of this who have nothing else better to be doing than exercising a bit of power.
    Give little people a little power and some of them let it go to their head.

Ultimately Lenihan is responsible though. I have yet to see him do anything but arrogantly defend the indefensible and continue to allow these people to screw us left right and center.

monkey does what monkey see's

I can assure you that it's highly likely that it's department officials that have "convinced" the minister for whatever reason that this must be done.
    It's very unlikely that the minister would go against his officials advice,they "know best".

Be thankfull though that they are often wrong.
    My own guess would be that they are panicking and doing this "to be seen to be doing it" rather than using any practicality.
    It would be practical of them to realise that deporting the partners of EU citizens on this basis will be challenged and would be very unlikely to get past such a challenge (imho).

Thats some of the civil service for you...as I say they are jobsworths .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Tristrame wrote:

Totally agree with you there. Although they need more staff in general I think. Have you ever seen the queues in GNIB in Dublin. Bleedin hell.
    Tristrame wrote:
    Throwing everyone out in the category where they entered the EU outside of Ireland seems silly.

Don't agree with you there. They're not throwing out everone in that category. I met my wife in Australia. She came here last year on a holiday visa that we had no problem extending as we intended to marry. We got married in Feb this year. It was a 15 minute rubber stamp job (after the 2.5 hour queue) to get her residency (not citizenship) once we were married so she can now work and live here until her passport expires (in which case we get another rubber stamp job) or she applies for citizenship. Whichever comes first. But she's under no threat to leave Ireland so your statement above is not correct.

Edit: According to this
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/uproar-at-ruling-over-refugee-in-sham-marriage-1068728.html

Only 120 letters were issued to people who were living here illegally when they got married. Is that correct or have they issued letters to people who were here legally too? If it's just people who were living here illegally (i.e. being in Ireland with no visa) then I've no problem with it. That's pretty much the same in most countries. Once you stay there illegally you're pretty much throwing away any chance of staying once you're caught.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you ever seen the queues in GNIB in Dublin. Bleedin hell.
    Its unreal, isn't it. And at the end of it many people end up talking to some arrogant príck who feels that listening to the immigrant is beneath them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

kbannon wrote:
    Its unreal, isn't it. And at the end of it many people end up talking to some arrogant príck who feels that listening to the immigrant is beneath them!
    Fill me in here please, I'm not sure what this is all about. Are you talking about people that are legally in this country or people that are here illegally. By that I mean when they arrived in this country first did they have proper documentation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im talking about anyone (Irish or foreign, legal or illegal),who has the unfortunate task of having to go into GNIB on the quays and talk to someone behind the counter.
    I had reason to be in there alomst every other day for about two years. The staff in there frequently lost documentation and blamed the applicant for not submitting it, they were rude, ignorant, abusive, etc.
    I have never seen anything like them!

Advertisement