Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Irish Nightwish dates announced!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Just to say, I hope everyone here plans on going to Therion next Friday, 14th September in the Tripod.. Absolutely fantastic band and such amazing stage presence!

Went to see them in London in January & definitely the band of the year for me thus far (including Graspop & Bloodstock), definitely in the top 10 of gigs I've ever been to..

Anyone that hasn't seen them before - have a look at some of these videos & you'll see what I mean: http://ie.youtube.com/results?search_query=therion&search=Search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

On a slightly related note, has anyone heard Tarja Turunens new single? Its actually pretty good. A lot better than what I expected after that christmas crap she released last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Can't wait for this gig. Haven't booked my tickets yet but I'm going to soon. I've convinced my brother to come with me, and maybe my girlfriend if she's in a good mood. If neither of them end up coming, fellow Nightwishers is all I need :D

Yeah I've heard Tarja's new single and it's good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

So then...
    Who's gonna be there tonight?

Should be good :D

\0/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

:(

• Advertisement

Midweek gig be damned..
    I'm going to be in bits for work tomorrow.
    But it'l be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'll be there alright. Totally forgot about this until Saturday too, thank god a mate had the tickets and reminded me. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

I'll be cutting it fine after work, but I will be there!

gizmo wrote: »
    I'll be there alright. Totally forgot about this until Saturday too, thank god a mate had the tickets and reminded me. :o
    +1

Cept I have the tickets :o
    Uh oh
    :eek:

Note to Self: Look for tickets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 amoeba_girl

..... Just to say....

Yay! Nightwish!

• Advertisement

+1

I can't wait to get out of college and get into town already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

The support band; "Pain" are pretty....Meh.

Ah they were pretty good.
    One or two covers tho.

Nightwish were amazing. Just amazing.

Last night was KICK ARSE.

I managed to meet Tuomas, Marco, Jukka and Troy, who played the Uillean pipes.

I told Tuomas I preferred the NW version of Phantom of the Opera to the original in an attempt to compliment him, but it was such a surreal moment that I ended up in a state of mind where I didn't know what I was talking about, and I said that the original was "all kind of techno-ey and stuff".
    Didn't think he liked that much so I insisted it was a compliment to him and he said "compliment, eh.... taken!" LOL

If I met him again I'd stress that Andrew Lloyd Webber kicks ass.

I said that the original was "all kind of techno-ey and stuff".

Heh :D

Was he pissed btw or was that actually water he was drinking?

I don't think he wasn't drinking when I met him, he was having a smoke. Are you talking about when he was on stage cause I don't think I noticed him drinking anything onstage. If he did it was probably water?

Marco was twisted on vodka by the end of the night though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

best gig of the year so far. up there with korn in jan was up at the front row and got to shake hands with annette and toumas. had a great night. where did you all meet up b4 hand. karl your right bout the pints of plain in porterhouse was inthere for a few b4 gig. but still prefer the guinness though you should try the pints in mulligans of poolbeg st best pint in dublin so far. defo going see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

here some pics i got last night enjoy.

I must say the Dublin concert was the best NW show I've ever seen, and that was my 6th! I have about 500 pics from the 3 concerts I was at during the week. I've yet to sort them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Last night was KICK ARSE.

I managed to meet Tuomas, Marco, Jukka and Troy, who played the Uillean pipes.

I told Tuomas I preferred the NW version of Phantom of the Opera to the original in an attempt to compliment him, but it was such a surreal moment that I ended up in a state of mind where I didn't know what I was talking about, and I said that the original was "all kind of techno-ey and stuff".
    Didn't think he liked that much so I insisted it was a compliment to him and he said "compliment, eh.... taken!" LOL

If I met him again I'd stress that Andrew Lloyd Webber kicks ass.

He probably thought you were trying to slighly whine about Tarja.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

It was great concert! Never enjoyed any that much!

I see someone I know in that pic ^^^

Anyway I've finally uploaded my pics onto my bebo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Interesting review of the gig on page 20 of todays Irish Independent......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Great gig alright, was well impressed, especially by their rendition of Nemo which although wanting to hear was still worried about whether they'd be able to pull it off without Tarja. Last Of The Wilds was friggin' epic too.

Also, did anyone else know that Erno was that short already? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

gucci wrote: »

Indo review is rubbish as usual. Im not a fan in any way but enjoyed the gig.

Writtin by a typical Indie poser he unsurprisingly attacks the crowd. In fairness any reviewer who feels the need to include that everyone was dressed in black is just trying to get their word count up. Its like saying everyone had muck on there wellies at the ploughing championships.

What a clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I somehow failed to get my response to this in after the gig :o. Anyway, I thought it was a great concert, the crowd was well up for it. I thought the overall sound of the band was excellent. Annette certainly looked like she had been part of the band for a long time. I thought she interacted with the other band members a lot more than Tarja used to.
    gucci wrote: »
    I don't suppose there's a link to that story available online? I had a look here but no joy :(.

By Ed Power

Source - Irish Independent, 07/04/08
    Metal froth fulfils the "Nightwish" of the Bebo generation
    Nightwish are one of those super-schlocky anomalies that heavy metal spits out every so often, occupying the same niche as Lordi, Alice Cooper, and post-Sabbath Ozzy Osbourne.

But this is metal with a cuddly centre. Stripped of its feral reiffs and "face melter" solos, the Finnish quintet's latest album Dark Passion Play could conceivably be mistaken for the work of an Avril Lavigne tribute band - singing in an overwrought squeak, frontwoman Anette Olzon roots her songs in the angst and yearning of the skater-park halfpipe (surely a stretch for her - she recently turned 37).

Like teen vampire novels and girl-friendly manga, Nightwish are, in fact pitched unabashadly at Generation Bebo's moodier demographic.

On the night of their first ever Irish show, Vicar Street is awash with black-clad kids, middle class waifs who are immaculately polite even when shaking their straggly manes in a youthful parody of head-banging. Though possessing the necessary metal renegade trappings - the exaggerated goatees and gut-sucking leather trousers - Nightwish, for their part, are the picture of Nordic wholesomeness.

During his in between-song addresses, fork-bearded bassist Marco Hietala exudes all the menace of a pantomime villain (when he deems the audience's cheers insufficiently heartfelt his "I can't hear you..." cat call is almost too hokey to believe).

Ultimately, the music's PG tone means that guitars may caterwaul in the background but Olzon's valkyrie warble in unabashed Eurovision froth - not without its charms but hardly the semi-satanic harbinger of the apocalypse that its fans take it to be.

The only thing the guy got right were the names. To compare Nightwish with Lordi, Alice Cooper or Ozzy shows a complete lack of knowledge about rock and metal music. To compare Dark Passion Play to an Avril Lavigne album is downright insulting. I know I am biased as I am an huge fan of the band, but I couldnt see pop puppet Avril recording a song like The Poet and the Pendulum, Master Passion Greed or Meadows of Heaven. I find the review reeks of a lack of research into the band. Dark Passion Play is an album which features an orchestra, 2 choirs, 2 boy soprano's, and uileann piper and a trad Irish violinist. How he can claim that this is "froth" for the Bebo Generation I have no idea. As someone already mentioned, what does the concert attire have to do with the band or its music. It seems the guy already had his mind made up before he even heard the band, dismissing them as just another metal fad for depressed "middle class" teenagers. And where in the name of god did he pull the satanic comment from? His a$$ I presume, because no one who knows anything about the band could make that connection. The guy's an idiot, as another thing he pulled from his a$$ was his statement that Anette Olzon recently turned 37, unless her birthday magically changed he is wrong. Anette wont be 37 for another 2 months. It's a half as$ed review that tells little of the music, of the performance and his complete lack of knowledge shows him to be completely lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Wow... Thanks for posting that article up. I was going to post a response but I think you've pretty much covered it. I too can't imagine Avril Lavigne recording an epic like Ghost Love Score, The Poet and the Pendulum or Beauty of The Beast :).

Advertisement