Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 24" Monitor or dual screen?

Options
  • 03-09-2007 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok I have a bit of a problem. For the longest time i've been pining over getting a 24" monitor, and with Crysis around the corner I was all set for getting it within the next month or so...

now I have a problem. I've been playing the WiC demo and I like it. We play Warcraft III in work in the evenings and i'm getting pretty good at it. I've also got C&C3 and Supreme Commander sitting there waiting to be played, and with Starcraft II on the horizon it looks like i'll be playing RTS's for the next year at least.

But, what i've noticed is that more and more RTS's are offering dual screen support (i.e. WiC, Supreme Commander). Which makes alot of sense, I'd love to have one screen with an overview map or centered on my base and the other screen on my battles. So my question is should I go for 1x24" monitor and sell the 19", or get a 22" and keep the 19"? Or sell the 19" and get 2 22" monitors.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

get 2 24" screens! problem solved :P

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I would get 2 20" or 22" monitors, the 1680*1050 res will be a lot more forgiving in new games compared to 1920*1200....

Once you go Dual Screen you cant go back :)

Also 2 very good 22 inch monitors work out about the same price as a decent 24 inch :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i would go with a dell 24" (have you ever seen 1 they are unreal) once you get 1 you will never go back
    :D

i have that ruler :p
    Dell_2407WFP_3.jpg

dell-2407wfp-comparison.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I use dual screens in work and they're a lifesaver.
    At home I had 2 x 20" inch lcd's but I sold them to move upto a Dell 24" and I'm delighted with it.
    At the end of the day it all depends on what games you play more..FPS or RTS.
    If the answer's RTS and more and more games support dual monitors then go with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

but see i'm on the fence, i've been an fps player since I owned a PC. I'm only now getting into RTS. Personally I have 3 19" Monitors set up in work and they're great for doing a few things at once, but at home i'm usually gaming or internet browsing. So i'm wondering would a second monitor get wasted on me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im looking to get rid of my 22" and get 2 24" screens. I would get more, but i dont think i would fit them on my desk. Unless i start stacking them on top of each other.

Anti wrote:
    Im looking to get rid of my 22" and get 2 24" screens. I would get more, but i dont think i would fit them on my desk. Unless i start stacking them on top of each other.

well same here, my desk won't take 2 24" screens. Plus i'm finding i'm doing a lot more browsing from the couch with the HTPC setup, 2 24" screens would be wasted on my PC.

I'm leaning towards 2 22" screens now, purely because they offer more screen real estate than 1 24" and work out around the same price. Plus i'd like to have 1 horizontal and the other vertical.

Any recommendations on monitors that can be rotated by 90'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was in the same position as you and finally decided on two 20" dell monitors. I don't regret it for a minute! Having two separate monitors offers so much more flexibility!

I've decided I want a setup somewhat like this. Do all DELL monitors swivel by 90'? But with my main one horizonal and the other vertical.

monitor_vertical.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I hope you plan to keep it a bit neater then that ;)

Not sure if dell still make the swivel monitors, just had a look at their screens, and it dosent list it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

pritty sure all high class dells can be turned 90d.

i would go for the 24" + i dont think anything under 1920x1200 can support 1081p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

In my last workplace i had two dell 24".

I miss them:(

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I tried to run UT2k4 with my 20" Widescreen turned 90 degress.... :D

It didnt like it at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I have the 24" dell monitor and its fantastic, 1080p stuff is great and games at 1920x1200 pretty much don't need AA due to the res.....

Think atm you can get it from overclockers.co.uk cheaper than the dell site.

Oh and once you go widescreen you'll never go back...couldn't recommend it enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

[gloat]

I have dual dell 24" monitors

[/gloat]

Advertisement