Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22 game ban

Comments

Yowza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ye, it was John Kennedy playing for Scotland against Romania.

Look at his tackle for the first yellow card:eek:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3ayvWVzhBmY&mode=related&search=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

and he's the captain?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

d'you think bans are the right way to go? I wonder if players with those sorts of tendancies (was their intention and he wasnt just crap in the challenge?) ever learn, and i wonder if a ban isnt just letting them sit in the stand, pick up a nice salary, and wait for their return whilst taking it a bit easy until the ban is over. Kind of like sending someone to prison, but releasing them on home leave.

hit them where it hurts - (chop their legs off) no ... a 2 season ban or the likes would be more appropriate - you nearly end someones career, you should take a sizable dent to your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

:eek: Is this the guy who played for Wolves?

22 games is a mild punishment, the way he put his hands around the throat of the linesman was surreal, I'm amazed he's avoided charges. Crazy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

:eek: Is this the guy who played for Wolves?

22 games is a mild punishment, the way he put his hands around the throat of the linesman was surreal, I'm amazed he's avoided charges. Crazy stuff.
    Yep, same Ganea. Nutcase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionel_Ganea

[Insert David Prutton remark here :D]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

his club should fire him for gross misconduct. absolutely disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

im suprised hes not up for assault after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Sign 'im up
    Sign 'im up
    Sign 'im up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

ahh jesus christ.

what complete scum. i hate the fact that people like him are allowed to play football for a living. he is pure filth and should never be allowed step foot on a football pitch again.

its not the first (or last imo) he has done something like that which doesnt belong in a prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

jesus thats crazy. he should get a lifetime ban for that, no excuses.
    i love how the ref leaves his linesman (sorry assistant) to get choked and wanders away!! he should get a ban for neglect too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

First yellow card...
    Nunu wrote:
    Ye, it was John Kennedy playing for Scotland against Romania.

Look at his tackle for the first yellow card:eek:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3ayvWVzhBmY&mode=related&search=

Aftermath of second yellow card.......
    KdjaCL wrote:

Where's the actual second tackle though? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I couldn't find the second yellow card incident either, although the first nearly warranted a sending off in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

only 22 matches...?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

gucci wrote:
    jesus thats crazy. he should get a lifetime ban for that, no excuses.
    i love how the ref leaves his linesman (sorry assistant) to get choked and wanders away!! he should get a ban for neglect too!
    thinking that myself, wouldn`t want that ref beside me in the trenches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I believe the 2nd card was for an off the ball punch, possibly not caught on camera? The linesman flagged for it and Ganea obviously took offence:D

Judging from this he isn't too remorseful either: http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/football/display.var.1646090.0.0.php
    The man whose horrific challenge put John Kennedy out of football for three years could be facing the end of his career after a violent assault on an assistant referee.

Ioan Ganea, currently with Romanian club Politehnica Timisoara, was sent off during a match against Rapid Bucharest at the weekend for receiving two yellow cards.

His second booking, for an apparent punch in the stomach of a Rapid player, was brought to the referee's attention by Dorin Madura, one of his assistants.

Ganea ran to Madura, grabbing his neck and trying to push him over advertising hoardings. He also seemed to land a blow on Madura before other players dragged him away.

Romanian newspapers reported that, having been led into the dressing rooms, it took the intervention of security officials to prevent Ganea from forcing his way back on to the pitch.

His wild lunge at Kennedy during an international friendly at Hampden Park in March 2004 left the Celtic defender requiring four operations and fearing for his career over an immensely arduous process of recovery.

It has been suggested the 34-year-old will now be banned for at least 20 matches and may be forced into retirement, yet there was only partial contrition.

"I regret what I did to Madura, but it wasn't a foul on the Rapid player," said Ganea. "I did not punch him.

"These young referees should buy video tapes of Premier League games, to see how real referees act. It's a man's game, you can't stop the play for small things. Why should I be suspended? It's not like I killed someone."

...oh and apparently club officials will be apealling the ban!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nunu wrote:
    ...oh and apparently club officials will be apealling the ban!

Appealing to get it increased I'd hope! I reckon he picked himself as captain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Shhhh... not so loud or he'll come for you too!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

county wrote:
    thinking that myself, wouldn`t want that ref beside me in the trenches
    i disagree - the ref is not in a position to physically hold back the player (probably not strong enough either) He moves away from the incident as the players come to it to pull the player away, I can understand what he did and why he did it. Nowt wrong imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

My god he's a nutcase! that tackle alone is worth a couple of games ban! :eek:

look how many games Di Canio got for just pushing a ref, Ganea should have been banned for longer than 22 games for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

What a scumbag!
    Kennedy's career was ruined by that tackle!
    He had just played in the game of his life a while before that against Barca in Europe! Had Ronaldhino in his pocket!

This guy does not deserve to play football!

Disgraceful stuff. The guys a moron, trying to assault the ref even after his team mates pulled him away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

He should be banned from football for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

have to agree, the guy should be banned for life. Total scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

then first tackle alone deserved a straight red. He rightly shouldn't be allowed to kick a ball again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Im sure he's been doing that for years. These hard man are cowards who act when their target is unprepared. The ref should have called the police and had him handcuffed on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Overpaid clown, How is that only 22 match ban. He should be banned for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

is it just me. . . .or does anyone wish Carragher had've reacted to Styles' peno decision like that? :) that would've been funny viewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not for a minute condoning what he did, but how come theres not this level of outrage when a player grabs another player like that? Officials are not small children that need to be mollycoddled, they are grown men.

is it just me. . . .or does anyone wish Carragher had've reacted to Styles' peno decision like that? :) that would've been funny viewing

The captains of each team should have a pistol in their shorts for extreme occasions of idiocy like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

The Dubs could use him.

Advertisement