Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Ranelagh like to live in?

Options
  • 03-09-2007 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

I'm thinking about moving to Ranelagh and was wondering if anyone here had any experience of what it might be like to live in for a young family?

In particular I'm concerned about

noise levels
    levels of drunkenness / antisocial behaviour
    safety in general

Shopping, restaurants etc I know about, and the public transport options are pretty good as well.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

aren't they usually outside the Four Provinces and that's gonna be demolished. if you don't feel safe in Ranelagh you won't feel safe anywhere in Dublin. It's gotten very la de da but i still like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I lived on a road which led to the main street and it could get noisy at closing time most nights of the week. It was just singing and loud drunk talk rather than anything aggressive though.
    There are a lot of homeless/winos hanging around the main street but I never experienced any trouble from them.
    Overall, I'm not so sure it's a great place for a young family. There isn't much of a settled community vibe to it and there isn't a huge amount of facilities. The park can be quite dodgy indeed. On paper all the restaurants and cafes look very enticing but ask yourself how often you're going to use them? Most are overpriced rubbish anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I lived there for 3 years, would love to live there again but not sure about living there with kids as there isn't much to do for them... There's obviously loads to do for grown ups :)

When I lived on Chelmsford Rd my house was broken into twice and my friend's house was broken into twice on the same road also. This could have been the same scumbg over the space of a year or two though...

Check with the local cops which roads have most break ins, I did that before I bought a house and it put me off the place I was going to buy which was a lucky escape!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Thumbs up for Ranelagh. If I lived there I would have Bistro Bianconi gourmet pizza every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭@rchives

Good idea re: checking with the cops, I'll look into that.

What areas in Dublin do have much to do with kids? Its normally a case of bundling them in the car and going to the park / seaside / mountains anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Great place, very lively and convenient for town.

re: Kids, It's grand and quiet in the streets away from the village. Palmerstown park and Belgrave square aren't too far away.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ah Ranelagh, my spiritual home!

Still seems nice whenever I've been there lately.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

there is a park right behind the village too, the lane under the 4 provinces leads to it.

It's a great spot to live, lived in the apts overlooking the park for a few years and just off leeson park for another couple. Off the main street it is pretty quiet, but you have everything nearby. It has gone a bit upmarket lately, who thought the tiny chipper would be replace by a 'diep at home'? It's still pretty nice though. Parking in the village is a nightmare though. You have to be within walking distance.

Not sure what the 'overpriced rubbish' talked about above is, the cafes and restaurants are some of the best in Dublin.

If the lotto had come in tonight I seriously would have thought about living there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Lived on the Rathmines road for a bit and there was a bit of noise from drunk folk at night alright and the traffic is noisy on the main road. We didn't have any trouble when we lived there and the shops nearby were very handy. Seems to be a lot of students living there too. Apart from the noise factor I thought it was reasonably safe although I'd have a fairly good burglar alarm on my house if I were living there again just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Bex81

Im from Galway but as a child and teenager I went up to visit friends in Ranelagh every chance I got. I loved it there. There was so much to do and I always felt safe (which is hard for us culchies up in the big smoke!!). Im living in Rathmines now and still love popping into Ranelagh. Between the parks and safe streets to play on for kids and the great restaraunts etc for families plus the proximity to town and good schools, I think its the perfect place for a family

• Advertisement
Advertisement