Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Veterinary Nursing courses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 greyarse

Dapos wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. would the course in cork be the same qualification as dublin and athlone? Also is there an interview process and do you need some work experience or something?[/qu

you need to have done work experience in something to do with animals for cork and you will have to do a interview before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 greyarse

does anyone no of any animal courses in the wexford area? i am really interested in working with animals but i just dont no where to start i wouldnt have the best leaving cert results. can anyone help??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 equinemissy

Hey guys, iv been searching about Vet nursing on the net. So many places to choose from now its hard :eek:
    I was wondering has anyone considered doing Vet Nursing in Greenmount College. From what i was looking at it looks like a great college.
    Im from Sligo, so i was wondering does anybody on this know where i can find an approved Vet Practice so i can apply for a job?
    Its great to see so many people interested in animals:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lolabug

Hey guys, iv been searching about Vet nursing on the net. So many places to choose from now its hard :eek:
    I was wondering has anyone considered doing Vet Nursing in Greenmount College. From what i was looking at it looks like a great college.
    Im from Sligo, so i was wondering does anybody on this know where i can find an approved Vet Practice so i can apply for a job?
    Its great to see so many people interested in animals:)

I've been looking at the Greenmount one too. Emailed them a couple of weeks ago for more info but haven't heard from them. It's block release so do you think it'd be possible to be in a practice in the south and then just travel up for the weeks you have to be in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 equinemissy

they sent me on info but it was only the prospectus & a list of practices that are approved. the closest one to me was in Enniskillen, the rest are all up the North. I think it is a shame that they dont have any approved ones down the south as a good few students are from here. I would like that too if you could just travel up the days you are in college but to be honest i was dissapointed with the information i recieved from them. :(

• Advertisement

they sent me on info but it was only the prospectus & a list of practices that are approved. the closest one to me was in Enniskillen, the rest are all up the North. I think it is a shame that they dont have any approved ones down the south as a good few students are from here. I would like that too if you could just travel up the days you are in college but to be honest i was dissapointed with the information i recieved from them. :(

That's a pity. That would have been ideal for me if I could have done it that way without having to relocate or at least move too far. For now I'm applying for the one in St John's in Cork.
    There's also an animal care course Level 5 in Colaiste Chiarain in Croom, Limerick. I haven't managed to find out much information about it yet. Does anyone know anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

lolabug wrote: »
    That's a pity. That would have been ideal for me if I could have done it that way without having to relocate or at least move too far. For now I'm applying for the one in St John's in Cork.
    There's also an animal care course Level 5 in Colaiste Chiarain in Croom, Limerick. I haven't managed to find out much information about it yet. Does anyone know anything?

I'm applying to do the same course in st.john's college. How are you getting on searching for work placement or have you started the search yet? I sent my cv off a few months back and heard nothing back yet?

I'm applying to do the same course in st.john's college. How are you getting on searching for work placement or have you started the search yet? I sent my cv off a few months back and heard nothing back yet?

I literally just applied the other day. Do you have to have the work placement sorted beforehand? Only just started to fill out the questionnaire today. Have you been trying for a work placement in Cork?

I literally just applied the other day. Do you have to have the work placement sorted beforehand? Only just started to fill out the questionnaire today. Have you been trying for a work placement in Cork?

You don't have to have the placement sorted beforehand. Its ok in september. Ya have been trying all over cork city with no luck. I don't really fancy on travelling up and down to galway once a week for two years, so dont know where/how il get a place.

You don't have to have the placement sorted beforehand. Its ok in september. Ya have been trying all over cork city with no luck. I don't really fancy on travelling up and down to galway once a week for two years, so dont know where/how il get a place.

Yeah that'd be a bit far alright. I'm in Limerick at the moment so wouldn't be too difficult if I had to do work placement here.
    I just got information from Colaiste Chiarain, Croom in the post though. They also have an Animal Care course. It's FETAC Level 5 and seems to have pretty much the same outline as the St John's one. Going to apply for that too since the competition for Cork is so high but want to confirm first that I could progress from that one onto the Vet Nursing course in St John's. I imagine I could since it is a Level 5 course and that's the requirement for Vet Nursing.

• Advertisement

Yeah that'd be a bit far alright. I'm in Limerick at the moment so wouldn't be too difficult if I had to do work placement here.
    I just got information from Colaiste Chiarain, Croom in the post though. They also have an Animal Care course. It's FETAC Level 5 and seems to have pretty much the same outline as the St John's one. Going to apply for that too since the competition for Cork is so high but want to confirm first that I could progress from that one onto the Vet Nursing course in St John's. I imagine I could since it is a Level 5 course and that's the requirement for Vet Nursing.

Oh cool, let me know how you get on with that, will you? Limerick is closer and it would be great if you can progress onto the second year in st.john's college. Is there work experience involved with the course colaiste chiarain.

Oh cool, let me know how you get on with that, will you? Limerick is closer and it would be great if you can progress onto the second year in st.john's college. Is there work experience involved with the course colaiste chiarain.

I've emailed St Johns to ask them so I'll let you know when I get a reply.
    There is work experience as part of the Croom one. I think it's pretty much the same course outline. FETAC Level 5: Animal Anatomy and physiology, animal welfare, biology, animal grooming, safety and health at work, start your own business, communications, work experience.

I'd love to talk to someone who has done it though!

This is the response I got so far from St Johns regarding the possibility of progressing from another Level 5 animal care course:

It is likely that you will be able to progress, but places will still be limited and you will be required to do a bridging course. It is difficult to say for sure.

This is the response I got so far from St Johns regarding the possibility of progressing from another Level 5 animal care course:

It is likely that you will be able to progress, but places will still be limited and you will be required to do a bridging course. It is difficult to say for sure.

Thanks for that. Think il stick with applying to st.john's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lynnington

Hey I'm currently in 5th year and I would love to apply to vet nursing in Athlone IT and I was wondering,because I've been reading about most of you having work placements,would a work placement strengthen my application?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pink27

Hello, I know your post is dated 2007. Would be grateful of your advise. Im hoping to go to St. johns this year to do vet nursing(2yrs) , which is now accredited. Did you think it was a good course and you were kept busy with it? Do you think there are much demands for vet nurses in cork now? I know with the current climate, its hard but do you think it would be relatively easy to gain employment when qualified? Never seem to see them advertised on the net. Thanks for your time. regards

dizzydudge wrote: »
    Hi Im doing the animal care course in St Johns College Cork, im nearly finished the first year, the second year is veterinary nursing in the second year. The course has just been reviewed by the veterinary council and is in the process of being approved as a recognised vet nursing course but nothing is definite yet. But in the near future, Athlone, Cork and Dublin courses will all be recognised vet nursing qualifications.
    Im really enjoying the course there is quite a lot of theory to learn and its up to the student to organise work experience once a week and block weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sarah1986

is any one applying to go into 2nd yr for vet nursing in cork for sep 2010
    i applied bout 4 weeks hopefully i will get a place:):o

sarah1986 wrote: »
    is any one applying to go into 2nd yr for vet nursing in cork for sep 2010
    i applied bout 4 weeks hopefully i will get a place:):o

Did you do your first year in Cork or somewhere else? Will be interested to hear how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sarah1986

ya i did a animal care some where else, but have always wanted to do veterinary but heard its so so hard to get to but hopefully got my application in enough time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 minx_ee00

Hi Guys

I very luckily got accepted to the first year of Vet Nursing @ DKIT in September 2008 thru the CAO.
    I am a mature student, I was 24 when I applied for the course so am a mature student. It is a full time course. I have no previous experience or qualifications in any related courses. I studied in London and got good marks for my GCSE's. I had an interview in which the Head of Science stressed to me the amount of science on the course that it's not all kittens and puppies lol!Which was fine with me as I had looked up course content and some of it took me back to science in school - and A LOT didnt lol!
    We had the VCI visit us at the end of last year regarding accreditation of the course. It went very well and we have recently been told that we have succeeded in getting our preliminary accreditation! So we will be able to get our full accreditation when my year completes the course in 2011!
    I would strongly advise anyone interested to do the course in DKIT the main 2 lecturers are vets and are really dedicated to us and are there for us anytime where possible. The facilities at the college are great, we have loads of books now this year, theyre all adding up, the library is great too. We cover laboratory work a lot and go on 8 week placements each year then 3rd year we have our internship over the summer for 3 months. You get a skills book which you must have signed off completely at the end of the course by RV's and Vets. Then at the end we must pass an OSCE -Objective Standard Clinical Examination.
    If I can help with any more advise just let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I have had a fair bit of contact with students of veterinary nursing. My overall impression is that they are being exploited.

- there are way too many colleges offering courses in veterinary nursing, in what looks like a cynical fee-gathering exercise

- the academic standard of the courses is quite high considering the type of work graduates will be doing

- there are very few jobs, and what jobs there are are tend to be poorly paid with tough working conditions

I think a lot of these courses are set up to exploit (mainly female) really well-motivated people with a love of animals.

Anyone thinking of doing veterinary nursing in Ireland should think twice.

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

I am just about to sit my finals in Vet nursing, I did the 3 year diploma course in UCD (which has now been changed to a 4 year full time degree course). And if I knew what I know now, and was looking to become a vet nurse, I wouldn't bother doing a full time degree course. At the end of the day you're going to start off on minimum wage (more than likely) and you will be doing the same job as a nurse that qualified with the diploma or even from st johns. I am so glad I did the part time course, as I now have all the experience I need and have gotten a great job, but I wouldnt go through with a full time 4 year course! Tooooo long for the job you get!

suraheg wrote: »
    I am just about to sit my finals in Vet nursing, I did the 3 year diploma course in UCD (which has now been changed to a 4 year full time degree course). And if I knew what I know now, and was looking to become a vet nurse, I wouldn't bother doing a full time degree course. At the end of the day you're going to start off on minimum wage (more than likely) and you will be doing the same job as a nurse that qualified with the diploma or even from st johns. I am so glad I did the part time course, as I now have all the experience I need and have gotten a great job, but I wouldnt go through with a full time 4 year course! Tooooo long for the job you get!

Thanks for that. That's what i was thinking when i was looking at colleges. They all seem long for what you get. Though i wouldn't mind putting the work in but it's really a thing where you learn mostly on the job (isn't it?). Why most (all) of the courses here are all full time - i don't know? Its not like that in the UK. And not to mention the expense of college, tuition fees, registration fees, books, living expenses. I choosed st.john's cause it sounds like the best course for me and would love to get accepted onto the course this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 minx_ee00

LostCovey wrote: »
    I have had a fair bit of contact with students of veterinary nursing. My overall impression is that they are being exploited.

- there are way too many colleges offering courses in veterinary nursing, in what looks like a cynical fee-gathering exercise

- the academic standard of the courses is quite high considering the type of work graduates will be doing

- there are very few jobs, and what jobs there are are tend to be poorly paid with tough working conditions

I think a lot of these courses are set up to exploit (mainly female) really well-motivated people with a love of animals.

LostCovey

Its not perfect like many professions, yes I agree, some people are not going on to become vet nurses after our course. However from my personal opinion and experience in clinics - its certainly not all roses and run perfectly, but i still loved the experience in the 3 clinics ive worked in and look forward to please God becoming a vet nurse and caring for animals. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PurplePossum

Just wondering if people think its worthwhile to do any of the one year animal care diplomas - would they qualify you to work as a veterinary assistant, or is veterinary nursing the only way to go? Seems mad to do a four year course in veterinary nursing when you could qualify to be an actual vet in 6 years! (or 5 for me as am already a graduate). Will do what it takes as there are no jobs in the area I graduated in.... but don't want to spend whole life as a student, and particularly dont want to spend years more in college with the possibility of remaining unemployed at the end of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PurplePossum

LostCovey wrote: »

LostCovey

You read my mind, Lostcovey - these are exactly my concerns! How competitive is it to get a job in Ireland at the moment and what level of experience is required??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

are their any vetinerinary course that are part-time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shazzza

Hi I am looking to go back to college and study vet nursing I know at the moment it is credited with Athlone IT which is where I am from and also UCD but there are 3 ways to get in there is the mature Student way which in athlone is only 7-8 places a year and interview process, Fetac not sure how that works and then CAO which is as far as I know about 450 points which i have nowhere near enough.
    and in Dublin you have to have 20 HRS PAID employment with a registered vets on their list before application which in the way work is at the moment is probably impossible!
    also if you wanted to get the back to education allowance you need to do a course which is a higher fetac credited than what you did before and I did an ordinary degree in Financial Services and I think it is a level 7 and so is the vet nursing so I have been told in that case its not granted?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shaunamona

Hi everyone,

I am very interested in reading all your comments, I am currently doing Animal Nursing Assistant course in Greenmount College Co. Antrim. (I did this course as I was planning on doing UCD Degree next year and thought it would help me get in) I study one day a week and then spend the rest of the week in a practise in dublin. (Where I live)
    This course is only £300. Next year I am moving into RCVS Veterinary Nursing course in Greenmount College. You study in College 2 days a week and have to work in a Reg Vet practise the rest of the week. At the minute the only Reg Vet practises are in N. Ireland, but they are trying to merge together with VCI to register practises in Ireland.
    It is a great course. This year alone has been fantastic to me, I can't imagine myself sitting in a classsroom for 4 years and then coming out of uni hardly having touched an animal.

I would highly recommend Greenmount College

I would love to speak to someone from UCD course to find out what books they use?
    Thanks
    Shauna

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shazzza

Are DKIT, Letterkenny IT and St Johns now Credited?

Advertisement