Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Ford Mondeo ST ?

Options
  • 03-09-2007 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Is there a new Ford Mondeo ST on the way. If so does anyone know when a 3.0 litre is on the way.

The best I could find at the dealers for the new models was a 5 Dr 2.5i 220 PS Manual (6 speed) which is the same engine as the Focus ST but in a heavy car? So doubt thats the ST.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Is there a new Ford Mondeo ST on the way. If so does anyone know when a 3.0 litre is on the way.

The best I could find at the dealers for the new models was a 5 Dr 2.5i 220 PS Manual (6 speed) which is the same engine as the Focus ST but in a heavy car? So doubt thats the ST.

Well as the 2.5T(222 bhp) has more power than the 3.0 V6(218 bhp) found in the old Mondeo, I don't really think that there is a need for a Mondeo ST. The 2.5 T can do 152 mph, so its fast anyway, actually its exactly 1 mph faster than the Mark2 Mondeo ST.

But there is a Mondeo ST on the way, and it will be diesel,a blown 2.2(the PSA lump found in the new 4007, 407 and other PSA cars) or else an uprated version of the D5 engine used in all Volvos, Ford haven't made up their mind yet which one, and neither have they decided if they want to make a Petrol ST or not(but seeing as 80% of Mondeo ST's(the old Mondeo) sold in the UK were oil burners towards the end of the cars life, me thinks there probably won't be one), but I do know that the 2.2 litre lump from PSA is being put into the Mondeo soon enough(which has 170 bhp at the moment), but I don't know if that will be a Mondeo ST or whether it will be the flagship non ST oil burning Mondeo yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Actually I got a photo of one last week on the Naas Rd, I'll post it later

pic in the "what I saw today" thread

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Thats just a diesel Mondeo Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

And not the new Mondeo, it's the MkIII

• Advertisement

sneakyST wrote:
    Thats just a diesel Mondeo Steve

Yes I know it's a Diesel....... but please read below!
    E92 wrote:
    But there is a Mondeo ST on the way, and it will be diesel,a blown 2.2(the PSA lump found in the new 4007, 407 and other PSA cars) or else an uprated version of the D5 engine used in all Volvos, Ford haven't made up their mind yet which one, and neither have they decided if they want to make a Petrol ST or not(but seeing as 80% of Mondeo ST's sold in the UK were oil burners towards the end of the cars life, me thinks there probably won't be one), but I do know that the 2.2 litre lump from PSA is being put into the Mondeo soon enough(which has 170 bhp at the moment), but I don't know if that will be a Mondeo ST or whether it will be the flagship non ST oil burning Mondeo yet.

- Now go and look at the hpi report...

https://www.hpicheck.com/consumer/?supplier=&vrm=SKZ%205320

IT IS AN ST.... now say sorry ;)

Yeh it's an ST STCI but it's not the new model Mondeo. Class car though :D

yeah not brand new... still not many around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Saw this on the M1 in the UK about 3 weeks ago, first decent one I've seen

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/Dillinger_02/P7040574.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/Dillinger_02/P7040573.jpg

Shes wearing UK Trade plates, I'd say the decals would be an option...

There must have been some Ford Event on at Silverstone I'd say, there were a lot of nice RS Turbos and Cosworths and Focus on the road that day..

I'd have put it in the "Heres what I saw today" except I thought that was for exotics here in ireland..

steve06 wrote:
    Yes I know it's a Diesel....... but please read below!
    - Now go and look at the hpi report...

https://www.hpicheck.com/consumer/?supplier=&vrm=SKZ%205320

IT IS AN ST.... now say sorry ;)

Thats the Mark 2 Mondeo, the one where at the end of its life 80% of STs sold in the UK were diesel! The Petrol ST is rarer than the Aston Martin DB9 I believe(they sold 903 of them in the UK in 2005)!

The OP asked was there a new Mondeo(the one thats just gone on sale, which is the Mark 3) ST on the way, and I gave him the answer,I was talking about the Mark 3, now you go and say sorry;).

• Advertisement

E92 wrote:
    The OP asked was there a new Mondeo(the one thats just gone on sale, which is the Mark 3) ST on the way, and I gave him the answer,I was talking about the Mark 3, now you go and say sorry;).
    You're one digit behind with your numbering....the Mk4 is the new Mondeo

fletch wrote:
    You're one digit behind with your numbering....the Mk4 is the new Mondeo

Please tell me how. There was the original Mondeo, introduced in 1993, then(which got heavily facelifed on the outside in 1996, but it was still the same car), the all new Mondeo in late 2000(which got facelifted in 2003, and again in 2005), and then the new Mondeo which came out this year.

Thats 3 generations of Mondeo, Mark 1, Mark2 and...Mark 3.

Edit: I see that plently of people refer to the facelifted Mondeo Mark 1 as the Mark 2, and what I'm calling the Mark 2 the Mark 3 etc., even though that is really untrue. I'll do my best to explain tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Like the old Mondeo ST220 I presume this new model will only be available in UK. The new ST is a 3.2 litre 250bhp V6 turbocharged.

car_photo_209301_7.jpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/203246/ford_mondeo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

E92 wrote:
    Edit: I see that plently of people refer to the facelifted Mondeo Mark 1 as the Mark 2, and what I'm calling the Mark 2 the Mark 3 etc., even though that is really untrue. I'll do my best to explain tomorrow.

You can call them what you like, the vast majority of people will still regard the 1996 facelift as the mark 2, it was substantially different inside and out (albeit largely cosmetic) to be considered a new iteration. While I see your point it is somewhat semantic.

E92 wrote:
    Thats the Mark 2 Mondeo, the one where at the end of its life 80% of STs sold in the UK were diesel! The Petrol ST is rarer than the Aston Martin DB9 I believe(they sold 903 of them in the UK in 2005)!

lol... only if you say sorry for messing up about the Mark 3/4 issue!... haha

Skyuser wrote:
    Like the old Mondeo ST220 I presume this new model will only be available in UK.
    What? Since when?
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=670978
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=731451

Skyuser wrote:
    Like the old Mondeo ST220 I presume this new model will only be available in UK. The new ST is a 3.2 litre 250bhp V6 turbocharged.

You're getting confused with the ST TDCi , which was a UK special, as far as I know.

As for the Mk4(even though the Mk4 is really the third generation Mondeo, so it should really be called a Mk3) Mondeo ST Petrol, this is Auto Express, the motoring equivalent of the Sun, so I would take what they are saying with a pinch of salt, especially as this information is almost a year old, and things can quite easily(and often do) change in a year in this industry.

But of course, I could very well be wrong, so lets wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Skyuser wrote:

car_photo_209301_7.jpg

Autoexpress 'exclusives' generally aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
    This story at least serves to show how ugly the new ST would be compared to the current one:

crossgunautos147.jpg

If the current ST had this kind of power it would be a much more desirable proposition.
    What's happened to the designer of the outgoing Ford models (Focus, Mondeo?). Surely he's not responsible for the new designs?

I said yesterday that I woud deal with the issue as to why the car that seems to be refered to as the Mondeo Mk4 should really be refered to as the Mondeo Mk3, and Mondeo Mk3 as Mondeo Mk2 and why the Mark 1 and Mark 2 Mondeos should really be refered to as the Mk1 Mondeo.

In 1993, Ford showed the world a car so revolutionary(for a Ford family car), and so good, that the press couldn't make up their minds as to whether it was better than the E36 BMW 3 series. What they did know was that it was easily better than its rivals i.e. the Carina E, the 405, the Opel Vectra, etc.

It was leaps and bounds ahead of them. This car turned out to be the European car of the year for 1994. It was called the Mondeo.

It was different in every way possible to not just the Sierra it replaced, but every other Ford at the time. Because every other Ford at the time was mediocre at best. The Mondeo was a revelation, because it looked very fresh for the time it was conceived in, and it was generally considered to be a great car to drive, a great car to be driven in etc. It was the first car in its class to be universally fitted with a drivers airbag, a feature still not offered in some Volvos at the time, and still not found on bigger cars like the E34 BMW 5 series. So it was technologically advanced for the time too.

Well time of course moves on, and by 1996, Toyota had facelifted their Carina E, Peugeot had the 406, Opel had their 'brand new' Vectra(which was a refreshed version of the one introduced in 1989).

So Ford responded. They decided that the Mondeo ought to be facelifted, and it duly got one towards the end of 1996.

What they did was re style the front end of the car completely, and restyle the back of the car too. They then went inside, and changed parts of the dash. One of the more noticable features introduced was the big button radios, which have been seen on many other Fords since.

Other than that it is exactly the same as the Mondeo introduced in 1993.

In 2000, Ford decided that the car needed replacing, and they replaced it with a Mondeo that was different in every way bar the badge it wore.

My understanding of the Mark nomenculture is that when a new model is introduced, then it gets a new number. The Mondeo introduced in 1996 is just simply a fresher looking version of the car introduced in 1993. It even looked the same from the side.

Whereas the Mondeo introduced in 2000 was a completely new design in every respect. It shares nothing with the model introduced in 1993 bar the badge. So, surley, this should be the Mondeo Mk2?

Although I now know that it is not really.

My point being that really the cars that are refered to as the Mark 1 Mondeo and Mark2 Mondeo are really the same bar a different looking body. Whereas the car refered to as the Mk3 Mondeo is a completely new car. And the car refered to as the Mondeo Mk4 is again a brand new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

E92 wrote:
    You're getting confused with the ST TDCi , which was a UK special, as far as I know.
    The Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 was not available in Ireland. Any used one for sale is a UK import. I know, I bought one....don't argue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote:
    My point being that really the cars that are refered to as the Mark 1 Mondeo and Mark2 Mondeo are really the same bar a different looking body. Whereas the car refered to as the Mk3 Mondeo is a completely new car. And the car refered to as the Mondeo Mk4 is again a brand new car.

The differences between the 1993 and 1996 mondeo are too great for it to be a facelift. E.g. dash, seats, doorhandles, diesel engine was revised with a different turbo, major changes to the front and rear.

But having had a Mk1 mondeo in the family since new, I can only say that they are a fantastic car. The old TD is a sluggard, but it can still flow though bends...moreso since it finally got its suspension sorted and new gas shocks!!!

If you go back a bit in Ford history further you will note that the MKII and MKIII Capri are pretty much identical bar the first 3 inches of the nose. They are still regarded as being different marks though... same idea with the MK1 and Mk2 Festy.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Mac 3 wrote:
    It was the ford fair that was on mac 3. That Mondeo is modifiied by Wolf Tuning. More than likely a Titanium X 2.5 with their upgrade package and decals
    I wouldnt class the ST TDCi as an ST- Its a diesel with a bodykit.

The ST220 V6 was available to buy in Ireland Skyuser. Price was around €48k

sneakyST wrote:
    It was the ford fair that was on mac 3. That Mondeo is modifiied by Wolf Tuning. More than likely a Titanium X 2.5 with their upgrade package and decals
    I wouldnt class the ST TDCi as an ST- Its a diesel with a bodykit.

The ST220 V6 was available to buy in Ireland Skyuser. Price was around €48k

It sure was, though it didn't sell well. I have an Irish edition brouchure of the Mondeo Mk3(the one everyone else bar me refered to as the Mk3, so I'll refer to all Mondeos as the title everyone else does:D) and it clearly states that there was an ST220 available here.

The ST200 Mk2 Mondeo was also sold here, I believe the ST24 was also sold here, but I can't remember,though I only once saw an ST200 Mondeo, and that was in Fords Headquarters here in Cork about 7 years ago.

Theres one for sale actually : http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=545149

maidhc wrote:
    The differences between the 1993 and 1996 mondeo are too great for it to be a facelift. E.g. dash, seats, doorhandles, diesel engine was revised with a different turbo, major changes to the front and rear.

But having had a Mk1 mondeo in the family since new, I can only say that they are a fantastic car. The old TD is a sluggard, but it can still flow though bends...moreso since it finally got its suspension sorted and new gas shocks!!!

If you go back a bit in Ford history further you will note that the MKII and MKIII Capri are pretty much identical bar the first 3 inches of the nose. They are still regarded as being different marks though... same idea with the MK1 and Mk2 Festy.

Fair enough. I have very happy memories of the Mk1 and Mk2 Mondeo. They were a superb car for their time. Vastly superior to the Vectras, Carinas, 405s they competed with. The diesel was very noisy, but it was a dream compared to the carina and vectra etc over the bumps, to look at, interior quality, refinement, you name it, the Mondeo Mk1/Mk2 would wipe the floor compared to any car of the time. It was still a great car when they retired it in 2000, it was getting a bit small, and the interior quality was weak at the end.

I never realised that the Mk1 and Mk2 Feshti were really the same. They look completely different inside and out. The Mk2 always looked a lot more like the Mk3 which replaced it externally IMO. The Mk2 is famous for having a different dash design, depending on how far up the range you went.

Of course the Mk3-Mk5 Fiestas are really the same car(well thats me being economical with the truth, but although the Mk4 was very different to look at inside and out, and got new engines and a revised chassis, it was inessence a very heavily revised Mk3 Fiesta, and the Mk5 was the Mk4 with a different front end, and a few more gadets), similarly the Mk6 and Mk7 Fiesta(the Mk7 just has a different dash and a slightly different exterior).

Advertisement