Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commerce international or normal??

Options
  • 03-09-2007 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

im set on doin commerce in ucd. i'd love to do italian there too but i dont know whether to pick international commerce or just italian elective. any advice or opinions are appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

commerce international in 3rd year u go away for a year to that country and come back and finish the 4th year. i see it as 3 yrs v 4 yrs in college. clearly, in my view, regular commerce is better option. the best advice is do italian electives, get to do 6 electives in total over 3 years, well enough to get ur italian fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

International Commerce (which I study) is a four year course, with the third year spent abroad in the country whose language you're studying. You take fewer Commerce subjects than straight Commerce students - in first year, we didn't have to take Statistics, a horrible class - instead, those hours are given to the language, (be warned, there's a good bit of literature). In third year, you'd go to Italy and take all of your classes in Italian - the idea is that you use what you've learned and come back fluent.

Commerce students have the option of going away for a semester (second semester in 2nd year) and they have much more choice about where to go - you wouldn't have to go to Italy (I'm not even sure if you'd be able to).

I love International Commerce (especially loved my year in Paris) and I'd recommend the course to anyone. the You come out with a Commerce degree and you're fluent in another language - but be warned, the language part is not easy. Make sure you like the language enough to work hard at it. If not, then straight Commerce would be the way to go.

Good luck - message me if you have any more questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I did Italian as part of an arts degree, and really liked it. It really depends on what aspects of a language you are interested in though. In UCD Italian the emphasis is on literature rather than speaking and learning how to use the language. There is also a lot of Dante involved! Take a look at the course list on the Horizons website and see if you like the look of the core courses for each year (afaik no choice in first year but after that there are a certain amount of option courses). If you want to avoid things like Dante/history of the language/whatever, then electives may be the way to go!

Advertisement