Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiding index.htm page...

Options
  • 03-09-2007 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

Is it possible to get a hosting 365 account to display mydomain.com/ instead of mydomain.com/index.htm. Also i would like to know how to get my domain to only display as www.mydomain.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Once it's set as the DirectoryIndex, index.html shouldnt actually 'appear' in the address bar for the domain...

For example - http://www.register365.com/ doesn't show you that index.php is the file delivering that page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 glengara

Check if you're linking to the home page with index.html, if you are change it to www.examplesite.com/ and make sure any incoming links use it as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

Thanks, The problem is that some searchengines are listing my homepage with the index.htm extensions. Is there an easy way to do 301 redirects from hosting 365 I would like anyone visiting mydomain.com to be redirected to "www.mydomain.com" as there may be a duplicate content issue with some search engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 glengara

It's probably nothing to do with 365, my money would be on internal linking, put the Url in your profile and we can take a look...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

The linking is fine its not really the issue. I know there is a way of using 301 redirects using the htaccess file and that would make sure that all traffic and bots are directed always to the www version of a site. I was wondering if there was a simple way to do this via the control panel. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

you need to change the directory indexing on the domain settings to point to index.htm

hen make sure that none of your internal links are not pointing to index.htm along with your sitemap etc etc...

the internal links should either be pointing to "/" or "http://www.mysite.com"

my guess is that your index.htm is being used as your internal link to the homepage and google is noticing that as it has the most internal links on your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

www.godaddy.com allows you to mask the web address so www.iol.ie/~yourwebsite/index.html can become www.yourdomain.com. It also allows you to mask all your other pages as well. Only problem is that you cannot get a listing in google ireland as it is hosted in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you have a query regarding your particular hosting, please take it up with them. Boards is not H365's support site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement