Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best for Speed Limit Warning?

• 03-09-2007 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

I want to get a GPS device simply to warn me if I go over the speed limit in an area.

I see that the Tomtom models have this ability as long as the map data is
    available.

Is this feature standard enough on all models or should I go for a particular make with particular map data for Speed Limits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

None of them have Irish speed camera data (yet!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Yes TomTom models do have the ability , plus there is and additional program which you can load on your TomTom and set a speed warning aubible/visual , Its very handy ....

Tripmaster :http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/tripmaster.php?lang=uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Mullins07

I am not looking for speedtrap information and the tripmaster only allows you to select a fixed limit manually as you desire.

I wanted something which has the speed limits for every road built in to the map data, so as you drive it knows the current limit and alerts you if you are exceeding.

When you move into a 50kph zone, it knows this, and if you are travelling over 50 it alerts you.

I think some models allow you to set zones which alert you, but how do these zones work? Are they a radius around a point or can you define the limits for entering and exiting a 50kph zone. If the zones can be defined to match the actual speed zones on the roads, this might do. I think only Tomtom can do this at the moment?

Any advice appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

HI

I have the Tomtom One, was doing some test today I did notice that in some roads I can see on the display my speed and the Max speed limit on that Road, on the Navan Road is 100 and when I went to 110 the speeds in the display change to Red for a few seconds.

So will look around again to check if I can get a sound when I go over again. But I think I went over all the options before and couldn't see anything about it.

Regards

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Yes AFAIK the tomtom only gives a visual signal . But its a start .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I was just asked to download the latest version to my device while using Tomtom Home and on the new version I have the option to be notified when you go over the speed limit. Haven'st tested.

To enable it tap screen, Change preferences, safety preferences. and tick next to "Warn when driving faster than allowed" click done till goes back main display.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

might sound like a stupid question but why dont you just pay attention to the road signs? then once you pass the sign keep an eye on the speedo. and that will tell you when you go over the limit.

Not trying to be smart, just dont see the advantage of having two instruments telling you when you pass the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Note that the speed limit information may not be accurate (or even present) on some roads. My TomTom thinks the limit on some sections of the N18 Ennis bypass is 60 km/h, and beeps furiously at me for going at the legal 100.

sharkman wrote:
    Yes AFAIK the tomtom only gives a visual signal . But its a start .

not sure about other models, but the TomTom GO 720 beeps when you go over the limit. It seems to beep some more when you break the limit by a significant amount (+ 20km/h I think)
    barryfitz wrote:
    Not trying to be smart, just dont see the advantage of having two instruments telling you when you pass the limit.

because the GPS will beep when you go over (assuming the info it has is accurate), meaning you don't have to take your eyes off the road to know when you've gone over the limit. It's not a necessity, just a convenience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

phutyle wrote:
    Note that the speed limit information may not be accurate (or even present) on some roads. My TomTom thinks the limit on some sections of the N18 Ennis bypass is 60 km/h, and beeps furiously at me for going at the legal 100.
    Sounds like it's getting confused between the metric and imperial speed limits and the data for that road hasn't been updated since the limits switched.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote:
    Sounds like it's getting confused between the metric and imperial speed limits and the data for that road hasn't been updated since the limits switched.

It's the bit coming up to the brand new stretch of the actual bypass. Before the bypass was open, that bit did have a reduced speed limit, obviously upped to full speed now that the road is open, and so the speed information is out of date even though the road layout on the map is correct.

Funny thing is, many of the junctions on the bypass are not actually open yet, but they are listed on the map. So it tries to send me through the road works compound to navigate me to the Tulla Road, even though that exit isn't complete and is blocked by cones. I wonder have any tourists fresh off the plane in Shannon ended up in the middle of of a building site when trying to get to Killaloe?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

About a year ago, I was using the Mio 510e and that had speed notifiers on it, however they were not very accurate at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

phutyle wrote:
    I wonder have any tourists fresh off the plane in Shannon ended up in the middle of of a building site when trying to get to Killaloe?
    Common sense is an optional extra with all satnav devices, unfortunately some people may have problems with installing the add-on.

Advertisement