Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a subject enternally.

Options
  • 04-09-2007 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

Not sure if that's the correct term for what I'm asking about here, do correct me if I'm wrong. Basically I regret not choosing Business as an LC subject, and am considering teaching myself it this year and taking the exam at the end.
    Is anyone else here doing something like this? Or has anyone here who's done it before got any advice to give me?
    Regards,
    Mark.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I kinda did that for applied maths. all i can say is that you have to REALLY want to do the subject, have alot of interest in it and have ALOT of determination.

Like, for example,when you don't understand something, having to research it from the internet or somewhere else. Try to imagine yourself sitting down at the same time every day, reading through a book, re-reading it. trying to understand it and then trying to summarize it for yourself in a notebook. Then, buying exam papers, doing out questions and having no one to correct them, then having to look at marking schemes to see if you're right and to see if your answer would hve been accepted by the ms.

I'm not trying to put you off doing it, all i'm trying to show is that it sounds great in theory, but you really have to push the boat out to do it, especially if you want to do well on a H.L paper. Also, you are going to miss out in alot of valuable studying time for other subjects. Remember that in order to count it for points, you'll have to do better in it than one other subject you've been studying for 2 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It may seem obvious, but check that the 'new' subject does not clash with other timetabled exams.

You need to inform your centre that you intend to sit the subject - this is in case no-one else in the school is sitting it, as a seperate centre (and supervisor) will have to be assigned to you.

It's not relevant in business, but in some subjects such as Home Economics the SEC has to be convinced you have had adequate preparation for the practical element.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

i did higher level accounting on my own.
    found this yr's exam paper hard.

i alslo studied app maths on my own in 5th yr, but quitted, didn't have enough time to study 2 subjects.

for business, u can study on u own, but u'd better get a grinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Luluk

I'm repeating the LC this year (I'm 26). I'm studying on my own, i.e. without a teacher, and I'm taking a few new subjects: Business Studies, Applied Maths, and Chemistry (which I studied before, but never sat the exam). In addition I'll be doing Physics, Biology and Maths.

It's certainly true that you need a lot of motivation, especially if you're working full-time. But if you have a particular goal in mind, it shouldn't be a problem.

And if I encounter difficulties, I'm going to use the internet to get help. There are so many resources out there that you really don't need to be in full-time education to understand the material on the syllabus. The most important use of your time, imo, is simply to memorize. And that is something you can do better in the quiet of your own home than in a classroom.

So I would say to you that studying Business on your own is very manageable. Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I did App Maths outside school too.

I only just scraped the A2 when I should have been capable of the A1.

What does this mean? Well I did do a bad exam on the day, but there's more to it than that. Essentially, I could have handled it better(I cut a lot of corners and didn't study it as much as other subjects). One thing I missed out on big time was consistant tests(the mock was the only App Maths test I sat in 6th year before the LC, and it happened to be too easy to show me where I was really at).

So if you're thinking of doing a subject outside school just be wary of the fact that you do have to study it often and that it's easy to fall behind. And give yourself regular self-tests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

I took physics externally in fifth and sixth year and ended up with an A1. Mind you I took grinds on Saturdays for it but most of the work was done by myself.

Taking an extra subject is an entirely possible thing to do and you'll find you wont be the only one doing it. You'll need a huge amount of dedication and very good time management skills (I spent 40 mins on physics four nights a week and then an hour and a half grind on saturday, then upped the time nearing exams.) You'll also need a large amount of self belief because there are many, many times you'll find yourself not understanding something or struggling to remember something and even if you're the type who wouldn't normally need a teacher you'll begin to miss the fact you don't have one. If you decide to take grinds to suppliment what you should remember is that at the end of the day they are only a suppliment and most of the hardwork is done on your own. Most exam centres wont have a problem with you sitting the exam but you will have to ask them nicely and in writing.

Lastly if you need any help from anyone make sure you give them lots of smiles and thank yous, it's difficult to find people who can genuinely give you a hand with something as when most people hear what you're doing their response is "Are you mad?" And lets face it, you probably are =P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Thanks for all the replies lads, greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I'm doing Economics outside school. I've been doing it by correspondence with Kilroy College- their quite good, they send you notes and questions and you send back your work to be corrected. While I havent found the subject too hard, you do need a lot of determination. Business isn't too bad, but i'd recommend getting grinds as well. Good Luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Due to clashing subjects I'm doing History in a class on my own, with exams set by the teacher, and I'm getting all handouts etc. Finding it good, three days in.....I can work at my own pace....
    Also doing Classics, all by myself with no teacher....a little more difficult but I have a genuine interest in the topics I chose, so I'm liking it.
    Principal made sure I could get exams for both, and a Christmas test and Summer test for the History. He still thinks I'm mad though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

I started business at the beginning of 6th year all by myself, ended up being my highest placed subject

• Advertisement
Advertisement