Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22, .223, .17?????

Options
  • 04-09-2007 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Ok, Whats the difference? I know most of you guys are seriously into this (in an unhealthy obsession sort of a way!!), so Im new to the rifle business. I have a CZ brno and I shoot a few rabbits. Whats the difference with this and a .17 or .223? If a .22 can kill a rabbit and a .17 can kill a fox/rabbit and a .223 can kill a fox/rabbit/small deer, then should I just get a .223 and open my hunting options? I just want to hunt, Im not interested in the whole Olympics thing (although I am impressed with the way you guys do that skiing and shooting thing, Ive seen it on telly!). Seriously, its a bit of a general query from a rifle newbie/moron, but whats the lowdown on the different calibres?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here's a visual comparison (grabbed from http://ammoguide.com/) of the commonly available (in this country) .17, .22, and .223 cartridge cases (.17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire, .17 Remington, .22 Long Rifle, .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, .22 Hornet, .22-250 Remington, .220 Swift, and .223 Remington)-
    17223comparisonimageih8.jpg

...and some charts from the same source (http://ammoguide.com/) comparing their ballistics/performance-
    17223comparisonchartsiv5.jpg

The .223 Remington has kind of become the 'do all' calibre here lately, but it's too much gun for rabbits if you want to pick anything up afterwards, and it's not legal in this country for use on deer of any size. The only one of the above that is legal here is the .22-250, but I hear talk of the .243 Winchester becoming the legal minimum for deer; this may or may not come to pass, it's speculation at the moment as far as I'm aware.

All of the full size rounds (.17 Rem, .22-250, .220 Swift, and .223 Rem) will do an admirable job on foxes but would be far too destructive on rabbits if you want them for the pot, they'll also be comparatively expensive.
    The .22 Hornet will work fine on foxes within reasonable ranges (out to 150 yards or so) and with care (head shots) will be okay on rabbits too, but the ammo is still pretty pricey.
    The others (.17HMR, .22LR, and .22WMR) are ideal for rabbits and will do the job on foxes if used within responsible ranges (80-100 yards max.).

The venerable .22LR is a supremely versatile round and I'd be of the opinion that every shooter should have at least one firearm in the calibre.
    Going after foxes in any sort of regular/serious way will inevitably lead the shooter to looking at something in .223 Rem or similar.
    Deer is a whole other game for which much more suitable calibres are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Excellent post and thread.

Believe it or not I was thinking about this as I'm thinking of stepping it up a bit on the rifle front. My question would be noise as most of my foxing is done at night, I was tossing the idea of 22 hornet/17 centre fire/222.

Was thinking 220 swift but every dealer is warning me off

Agree the bit about the 22 lr, I'd say 50 yrds max.
    Most of my foxes are done with a 22 mag 100yrds-120 yrds, 34 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Thans for the comprihensive reply rovi. So the .22lr can take a fox at short range. Would it have to be a head shot with 22 or would a chest shot be enough to kill??

When I shot foxes with my little 22 lr I would go for a head shot and used cci velocitors.

I also go for the white target nature gave all foxes when they look straight at you

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Excellent post rovi.I never thought the swift was THAT fast:eek: Swift is awsome on foxes to say the least but as you say the .223 is a great versitile round that does the busness.
    Alan123 with the .22lr,.17hmr and the .22wmr head shots should be taken at reasonable ranges but the shooter MUST be competent enough to do this i have shot many foxes with my .17hmr and out of experience it aint a humain round with chest shots some drop stone dead but a lot run then drop a couple of yards away.Centerfires are the only job for proper fox control imo

• Advertisement

I agree with Tikka thats why I'm looking to step up. The expression I use "looking for a round that will hold them", with minimum disruption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Excellent post and thread.

Believe it or not I was thinking about this as I'm thinking of stepping it up a bit on the rifle front. My question would be noise as most of my foxing is done at night, I was tossing the idea of 22 hornet/17 centre fire/222.

Was thinking 220 swift but every dealer is warning me off

Agree the bit about the 22 lr, I'd say 50 yrds max.
    Most of my foxes are done with a 22 mag 100yrds-120 yrds, 34 last year

I have a Rem 700 .223 using Nightforce scope 8-32x56 and Hornady 55grn moly.
    On a sunny day HEAD shot rabbits out to 350 no probs(and still Good for the pot). Illuminated reticle makes night shooting easier.;) Foxes don't get up after it and Moderators are freely available if you are worried about noise.:D And Top of the range ammo at 25E a box or cheaper stuff at 13 tells it all. Most popular round in the world!!Good hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

sellin' a rem 700 swift if anyone's interested?

Advertisement