Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to my world

Options
  • 04-09-2007 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

I was called out yesterday afternoon, I wont reveal any details or whereabouts as I intend to do my damnest to prosecute the )(*&^%!! who did that:

This is what I found:
    egar1.jpg

egar.jpg

egar2.jpg

egarear.jpg

egar3.jpg

egar4.jpg

He spent a night at my vets on the drip and is now snoozing in my kitchen, we did all we could for him for the time being. He has had his teeth filed down, he should weigh about 20 kg - he weighs 9kg. This is only a small selection of pics I took. It turned my stomach...

egar5.jpg

I strongly suspect that this dog has been stolen at some stage. He is well used to being in the a house and is clean as well, despite the fact that he is very weak.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Jaysus,i hope the dog improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Punchy07

some people are just sick!:mad: well done to you for looking after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Why did he have his teeth filed down?, could he have been used as a tool in dog fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Why did he have his teeth filed down?, could he have been used as a tool in dog fighting.

No, he was not a bait dog. The filing down of the teeth in terriers/hunting dogs is *common practise* in a certain group of the populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

as is the notch in the ears... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Poor lil guy... any idea how long he'd been there for? :(
    Was he just left there on his own to die d'you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Well done on saving him, the poor little fella, makes me mad to see this type of abuse:mad:

Why do they file down the teeth and clip the ears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Well isn't he the lucky boy to have been found by you! Well done for taking great care of him and savign his little life. It never fails to astound me the levels of cruelty people can stoop too but it is just as well there are the likes of you around to save the lucky few. Well done againa dn keep us posted on the little mite's progress.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

That is awful.

I don't envy you having to face that, but I am glad there are people like you dedicated enough to do your work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Heartbreaking:mad: It makes me sick to think there are people out there that would cause such pain to an animal that depends on us for care.
    I hope you get your prosecution & then the B*****d gets what coming to him & more.:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Well done for rescuing him. Keep us posted on his progress. It is completely beyond me how/why people can be so cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Well done! Hope the bástards are done for it!

Well spotted, fits, ;) this is why I took a close up of it!

He wasn't abandoned, he was in the *care* of the owner - would you believe it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

EGAR wrote:
    No, he was not a bait dog. The filing down of the teeth in terriers/hunting dogs is *common practise* in a certain group of the populace.

SEriously not trying to stir the sh*t here. But for us city slickers, whats the significance of this poor fella having his teeth files and ear's cut?.

And what sector of the populace does this?.

If you'd rather answer me via a PM thats cool too. But I'm pretty new to animal rescue & foster etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mairt wrote:
    SEriously not trying to stir the sh*t here. But for us city slickers, whats the significance of this poor fella having his teeth files and ear's cut?.

And what sector of the populace does this?.

If you'd rather answer me via a PM thats cool too. But I'm pretty new to animal rescue & foster etc.

+1

I'd also like to know (not city slicker ...just foreigner:D )

Well I'm not sure about the teeth filing, but the notch in the ear seems to be an identification mark.
    Lots of lurchers come in to rescues with this notch. And most lurchers in Ireland seem to be owned by the travelling community...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

prospect wrote:
    That is awful.

I don't envy you having to face that, but I am glad there are people like you dedicated enough to do your work.

Exactly! I hope the poor thing does OK and that the "owner" is prosecuted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

prospect wrote:
    That is awful.

/agreed

racram wrote:
    Exactly! I hope that the "owner" is prosecuted!

Agreed 200% !!

However, without wishing to sound pessimistic this does n't always happen. The owner of the shelter where I got my dog told me that she brought numerous cases of severe cruelty to dogs and horses to court over the years. In most cases she said the owner got off with a warning and at best was fined a ridiculously low amount.
    The law needs to be updated and enforced :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

EGAR wrote:

That is shocking. Fair play to you. Was there any explanation, or resistance offered by the caring owner in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

EGAR wrote:
    Sadly enough, I would believe it... I wouldn't have assumed it though from the state of him.
    Personally I don't like to see dogs tethered like that for long periods even if they are otherwise being well looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cherrycool

I've had a suscripstion to a monthly magazine from the RSPCA in the UK for many years now, and believe me, I've seen so much worse. People are sick. I really hope the dog improves.

EGAR,

Any news on the dog's health ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I'm shocked to see that poor mite... (and yeah, I know this one's only the tip of the iceberg here).

Cherrycool, yes, there is much worse and I have worked on cases which would turn your stomach but I wont post the pics of dead or dying animals as I believe in giving them some dignity in their suffering.

Anam, as I called him, is doing very well and he is going from strength to strength. He is fine with other dogs and has settled in just fine. I'll post pics once I have myself sorted again (was offline for a week thanks to Eircom :confused:).

The notch is a hallmark and some peeps can tell by the way the notch has been done which part of the *family* the dog belongs to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

its unreal how do people like that get to keep animals?:mad: :mad:

EGAR wrote:

Anam, as I called him, is doing very well and he is going from strength to strength. He is fine with other dogs and has settled in just fine.

That's great news EGAR. :)

andrawolf wrote:
    its unreal how do people like that get to keep animals?:mad: :mad:

Agreed.

As I stated above the law here is too lenient and outdated. If the owner is brought to court he'll probably get probation or fined a few euros. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Rigsby wrote:
    Agreed 200% !!

However, without wishing to sound pessimistic this does n't always happen. The owner of the shelter where I got my dog told me that she brought numerous cases of severe cruelty to dogs and horses to court over the years. In most cases she said the owner got off with a warning and at best was fined a ridiculously low amount.
    The law needs to be updated and enforced :mad:

Which is ridiculous considering a couple got three months each recently for shagging on the dart a few months back. That's the sort of case which should get off with a warning, the animal abusers should be the ones getting the three months (at least!) in jail. Putting DART shaggers in jail is a waste of tax payers money!

Advertisement