Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else actually miss school?

Options
  • 04-09-2007 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

Seeing them all heading back, my sister included, sorta makes me feel odd. Like something's missing. Even though I wanted out so bad, I don't know any different...

Separation anxiety?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

No...even though the days before college begins are so fúcking boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I feel the same way. I sort of miss all the teachers. Its only when I think back now that I realise how nice they all were!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Not one bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i felt that way for ages after the leaving, felt guilty when i was at home on summer evenings watecing tv, in the back of my mind there was a voice saying i should be studying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Uni > School (at least it should) so no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Very much so.

I'm growing up too fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

No way, I did 4th year so it was 6 years for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

i felt that way for ages after the leaving, felt guilty when i was at home on summer evenings watecing tv, in the back of my mind there was a voice saying i should be studying!
    Yes, I got that yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Well, it *does* feel weird to be at home when everyone else if off at school, but I can't say I'd like to be back there. It was great when I was there, but there's only so far you can go in school. I'm happy to be moving on to be honest, although Uni will probably take a lot of getting used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Yu, I'm gonna miss it and I've known that I would ages ago... I mean, I don't think that I would ever repeat the LC but I'll sorely miss the teachers and my whole year group. I really will miss everyone.

And, however hard I try to keep in contact with friends, I fear that they will slip away. I can see that one is already, he's practically ignoring my texts and bebo's. I mean, its sad that I've never done anything to him but he's just moving on I suppose. My other friends are not so bad though, I'll be home at the weekends so hopefully I'll see them all then!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

For the last few months I just wanted to leave, but that was the leaving cert that did that,. not the school itself. I had no complaints about the place, so yea I'm going to miss it.

Up where I do karate, there are kids around who are in the adult class or who are inthe kids classes on before mine and are hangining around, and they have just started in first year. When I hear them talking about it I do kind of feel like I would like to go back, especially when they're asking those of us who have gone to that school about teachers and subjects etc.

But it's time to move on:cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I will never miss the school itself, but I'm definitely missing the craic I had with the lads. There was always about 15 of us who spent lunch-time together in one of the classrooms. 3 of that gang are repeating, 2 are moving to Galway, 4 are moving to Dublin and one is going to Cork. That leaves 5 of us starting in 4 different colleges in Limerick. Here's me hoping I can find a new crowd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Yeah, I do. I went back to my school yesterday to sort out some stuff and it was so strange to see everything carrying on as normal. I sort of expected that the place would seem different, but nope, things just going as usual. I miss the teachers though and the general fun we used to have in school. I keep wanting to go back, theres something about the place thats just drawing me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Very much so.

I'm growing up too fast.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Don't miss it one bit...having to get up before half one to catch Home and Away every morning beats getting up at eight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

hell no!!!!!!!

not the slightest particle of me misses school. I enjoyed it, it was great, but why the hell would I want to go back?? the Leaving was the most stressful year of my life, I have no desire to repeat this or any other schooling activity, so no.

That said, I had some major withdrawal symptoms right about the time the Leaving finished...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

don't miss it and never will.

it's become to strict/american/business like and that destroys any craic there is.

too much emphasis on the LC and points imo. Not enough focus on individual happiness or self-fulfillment.

Sure, you'll miss your classmates, maybe the odd teacher, but at the end of the day you only met them because you were forced to and you'll be forced to meet other people in college/work/life so everyone will be replaced.

mixed genders, no uniforms, no discipline.. college/uni ftw :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

smemon wrote:
    don't miss it and never will.

it's become to strict/american/business like and that destroys any craic there is.

too much emphasis on the LC and points imo. Not enough focus on individual happiness or self-fulfillment.
    That depends on what school you went to. I didn't experience that at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Not at all in fact. Anyways these last 3 weeks have been a blur, too much on my mind to think about it really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Not even remotely.
    I hated my entire time in that school and have nothing but contempt for my fellow exclassmates (the feeling's mutual).
    Unfortunately I haven't actually really left secondary school because of the whole repeating thing but at least I can go somewhere new. And far far away from anyone I knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Only thing I would have missed about school is seeing my friends but I see them nearly every day now anyway and will see them every weekend when Uni begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Don't miss it one bit to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

carlowboy wrote:
    Only thing I would have missed about school is seeing my friends but I see them nearly every day now anyway and will see them every weekend when Uni begins.

likewise, see my friends pretty much every day - living close to town and also being able to drive makes this very easy. also been WAY too busy to think about school anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JC 2K3 wrote:
    That depends on what school you went to. I didn't experience that at all....

I second that notion - our teachers never made a fuss about the points and the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i miss it. im 23 and going to college next year in america.

well, i didnt miss it then. but i think what most people realise, is in the year or 2 since they left school, they start thinking if i was back in school, i could have done this and this and this different...

but what they dont realise is, they wouldnt have the knowledge now, so if they did go back, they would have made the same choices now as they did then.

now, if your talking about time travel, then id love to go back to school with what ive learned now, and put my brain to some use.
    i ended up getting 485 points and im 23 now and ive done nothing but job hop for ages and its only in the last 3 months ive wanted to go to college.

i would be well on my way to getting my masters now if id made the right choice..

but yeah, i miss those cold mornings hogging the rads in school and thinking of every excuse why i didnt do my homework :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 anything goes

I miss the craic at lunchtimes and in class with my friends and there's a couple of very funny teachers that I miss. Other than that I'm so glad to be out of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

not even slightly. the only thing id miss at all would be the messing and stuff like that, but i really wouldnt want to still be a part of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Very much so.

I'm growing up too fast.

Same. 'tis very strange to miss the auld heck-hole, but I still do. Wierd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

totally miss school.it sucks cause i dont even have college to look forward to!!! so im stuck waiting til next year to get the joys of learning again!!!

Advertisement