Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First All Black School in Balbriggan?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

cathy01 wrote: »
    all schools in general of course.It jhappens in all school s that have new familys that dont speck English.
    I understand the class may have a lanague support teachre but again , only 1?I think we need more help in the schools.Does the TEFL teacher take the child out for one to one or sit in the classroom and help ?
    Just wondering.
    cathy

The language support teacher does both. Certain times of the day his/her presence is required in the classroom as a back-up to the class teacher. Other parts of the day, when things are more settled down, some 1-to-1 work gets done.

And yes, there is one language support teacher to a class in this school. If the government changed the criteria then the classes would be entitled to more. But this is not the case. The current system works well in this school, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Also, regarding your point about using Google to translate. It seems like a fair idea. I'll pass it on when I get a chance. The only problem is, the translations would not be 100% accurate and we may get something looking like this (in English here, just to illustrate my point, but the same sort of message in another language):

"To school finish on the 12:15 of February 19 for to be the conference of teach people."
    I'm sure you can just about understand this, even though it looks like extremely broken English, but this is how it might look in any other language. Is it a good or a bad idea to use Google to translate like this? There is an obvious advantage, in that the basic message will be just about understandable, but regarding accuracy is it a bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

There were no kids receiving English language support in the Gael Scoil,
    a recent report I read that kids from Gaelscoileanna, had better English language skills than kids attending regular primary schools.
    At a guess, I'd say it's mainly Irish children being sent to a Gael Scoils, I don't have stastic's to back this up, but I take it most of you can see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi ya, if there are any letters which are standard and you want me to get them translated into any lanague..{with in reason] then please dont hessitate to pm me them and I will get them done.No problem.
    Have to say Ed togehter is very lucky to have you on baord.
    cathy

Advertisement