Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sports car insurance in Ireland

Options
  • 04-09-2007 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi,

I read Niccola's post about him insuring his integra type r in Ireland and I have a similar question.
    I am an immigrant too, living in CityWest Dublin from February this year.
    I always wanted to have a Honda Integra Type R and everything looked like my dream could come true but... My friend's Irish friend told me I am an idiot because no company is going to insure this car for me :D

I finished 25 years, I have had my driving license for 7 years (5 years no claims in previous insurance company).

The problem with insurance is that I am an immigrant, living here not that long. The other problem might be that I am 25 years, which in theory means I passed the "insurance important" barrier of 25 years, however they still might think I am young and crazy. The third problem probably is, that this is quite a rare J-spec Teg, which I heard is quite popular among thieves.

What do you think, ladz?

Is is possible to get a reasonable quote?
    Maybe you can recommend any insurance companies?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hyundai_owner

valdigre wrote:
    Is is possible to get a reasonable quote?
    Have you tried? You'll proabably have to phone them, because the online quoting systems are really only set up for more "standard" cars usually.

Quinn Direct are usually pretty competitive even for high-end cars.

Are the insurance company that you were insured with before affiliated with any international insurance company? I'm currently insured under AA. I'm sure if I went abroad, that would be recognised.

It scares me that there are so many unisured drivers on our roads, and angers me when the rest of us have to foot the bill in increased premiums. I hope you manage to get a reasonable quote and have your dream come true! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

Hi again,

I was insured with Allianz Poland for 5 years, no claims so I guess it should be a plus.
    Every Irish guy that hears I want to insure an Integra says: "Are you crazy?".

I tried with Hibernian and Allianz Ireland, they do not insure "high performance cars".

I found xsdirect that insures integras, but for 2156 euros with 4000 euro excess...

I'll give Quinn direct a try.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Try Quinn,afaik your no claims will still stand to you (altho you may need a letter from the original insurance company)

The Jdm Integra is harder to insure than the Uk spec one,a main point would be the jdm has no security features (making them very very easy to steal) whereas the uk one has a cat1 alarm and immobilisor.

Try quinn and see how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

You have EU licence, so, you will need a letter from your previous insurer of some sort saying, that you have been insured with trhem for certain period and that you had no insurance claims for last x years.

25 years is young age for many insurance companies overhere, you have to pass 30 years nowadays, I think.

Anyway, good luck with your plight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Quinn?Steer clear tbh. Got myself a 03 EP3 civic type-r from the uk last year and Quinn wouldnt touch off it. I am 25, 5 years No claims Bonus, Full license for the past 7 years with 2 points. The only people I could get any decent type of quote from was my current insurer Hibernian (who incidentally will only insure me third part fire and theft) and tesco. Hibernian basically slapped me on the wrist for buying such a 'High power, High risk' vehicle and warned that the only reason they were insuring me was because I was a returning customer!!!

Your options are very limited mate. But I suppose it wont do any harm to search around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pmcf

Definatly stay away from quinn direct had nothing but trouble with them im currently with FBD and have a celica and they gave me the best quote i could find after ringing most of the companies.give them a try hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Britton Insurance should quote you online.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

I find quinn direct very good. I am 23, have a full licence for 6 years and have four years no claims bonus. I'm only paying round €1300 full comp on a 01 evo vii. Nothing wrong with that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jammer84 wrote:
    I find quinn direct very good. I am 23, have a full licence for 6 years and have four years no claims bonus. I'm only paying round €1300 full comp on a 01 evo vii. Nothing wrong with that!!

you have to be joking me, i'm 24, full licence 4 years, will have 3 years ncb in jan (touch wood), and quinn wont quote me on a 190bhp integra type r but they will quote you on a 300bhp+ beast?? they really confuse me sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

How the hell did you get that quote? Quinn are very strange with there quotes. Im 25, Full Licence for 7 years, 2 years NCB (5 Years Named driving also).....they would not quote me on a Scooby WRX.

Im paying €1250 on a Celica SS3 fully comp with them, not bad, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jdmR

insurance can be crazy,

i was paying 2800 tpft on a 198bhp glanza v at 19/20
    david77777008.jpg

was paying 4800euros on a 320bhp 98spec gt4 celica at 21
    DSC01050fddddddddddd.jpg

am now paying half the price of the celica on a 200bhp civic type r at 21

DSC01210fgtttttttttttt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

@jdm R - Thats some money to have handed over for insurance over the years. Sweet civic by the way, mind me asking who its insured with?

Nuttzy wrote:
    @jdm R - Thats some money to have handed over for insurance over the years. Sweet civic by the way, mind me asking who its insured with?
    yes but i love my powerful cars mate:D so whatever the insurance is its gotta be paid,keep in mind their ok quotes for a 19-21year old;)

civic is insured with FBD and is 2100fully comp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Fbd are good enough with quotes surprisingly, I had a non vtec civic insured with them. they were picky on the imports though. Ive a Sir delsol insured with Aaran Insurance now for E900. I dont think I could ever have payed E4800 for a years insurance though, it would still be annoying me years later, could you not have put it in someone elses name and drove it off your full licence?

Nuttzy wrote:
    . I dont think I could ever have payed E4800 for a years insurance though, it would still be annoying me years later?
    but you obviously never owned a high powered car have you?;) 4800 is OK for a 21 year old driving a 320bhp car....i would love to pay cheaper,but its not like that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Their funny enough alright.

I had a civic jordan insured with hibernian for €1600 tpft then when the renewal came up in November I switched to Quinn for €800 fully comp. Then switched to the evo before the summer.

I'll have 5 yrs NCB in November though, full licence since Feb 2002. Whether that is a factor or not I dunno.

Will find out the exact quote in November.

Britton Online quoting system quotes around 1800 Euros for me (25 years old, EU driving license for 7 years, 5 years no claims, Import Integra Dc2).
    I have not tried with FDB quoting yet, though.

I guess this is the price I will have to pay, around 2 k euros, at least for the first year.

Cheers guys.

I just called FDB and they did not want to quote me on 98-2000 year Integra Type R or 98-2000 Civic Type R.
    The lady was saying something about not quoting japanese imported cars between 1993-2005. I do not know if it is a crap talk, or she just did not like that I am not an Irish, with driving experience on Irish roads shorter than 1 year and wanting to buy a performance car...

I will try with tesco, but if this will not work, then Britton is my only choice.
    Britton is also questionable, as I do not meet a couple of assumptions they give at the end of quoting:

* All drivers have full licences acheived in the Republic of Ireland (I have full EU)
    * All drivers have been resident in the Republic of Ireland for the past 10 years or more (I have been here for 8 months)
    * The vehicle in question is not imported, and has not been modified (it will be stock, but it is imported alright)

Life....

Advertisement