Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wakeboarding

Options
  • 04-09-2007 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I opened this thead to answer as many questions i can about irish wakeboarding!! Bring it on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

I've recently seen an ad for wakedock on Dublin and am interested. Would love to try it but too far to go just for that.

Is there anywhere nearer to cork that does it?

The whole wire tow system seems way better to learn on than being towed by a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭trailbiker

Wakedock is the only cable system in Ireland. There are two clubs in Cork but they both use boats.

http://www.facebook.com/CarrigWake has 2 ski boats (one would learn to wakeboard off the back of one of these) and 1 wakeboarding specific boat.

and

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cork-Powerboat-Waterski-Club/131914810160746?ref=ts&fref=ts

The only way to find out if riding behind a boat would be suited to you would be to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Is the one in Grand Canal any good? Any beginners out there give it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 marcusw

Just moved up to Longford. Was getting into wakeboarding last 2 summers and would like to do more this summer. Anyone know of somewhere close to Longford where I could go?? Any other tips/comments??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Look to do a bit of wakeboarding in the coming months. Boat preferably.

Used to teach it in Vietnam and while Im not that good, I miss it an awful lot.

From Kildare, where would be the best place ot have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hey guys, for anybody wondering about Wakedock in Grand Canal.

I've been down there 4 times already and it's awesome! Great crew running it and really good for beginners as the cable is much more forgiving than a boat (which I started on).

On my third visit I was landing the kicker (ramp) and have just started trying tricks on the slider.

Also, you may initially think it's expensive, but 15 mins is plenty of time. Just push yourself to try new stuff and you won't be able for more than 15 mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Wakedock is excellent, friendly staff, very easy to learn, much easier than boat and great fun.

In Kildare you have Golden Falls and Still Waters clubs.

For longford, it would depend on what part of the county you are based in, but Lough Muckno Wakeboard club in Monaghan (which is great), Erne Wakeboard club in Fermanagh or Portumna Waterski club or either of the 2 Kildare clubs mentioned.

For those in the South of the country there is a new cable system, like Wakedock's opening in March 2014 in Mallow, here is their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Diemos wrote: »
    Wakedock is excellent, friendly staff, very easy to learn, much easier than boat and great fun.

In Kildare you have Golden Falls and Still Waters clubs.

For longford, it would depend on what part of the county you are based in, but Lough Muckno Wakeboard club in Monaghan (which is great), Erne Wakeboard club in Fermanagh or Portumna Waterski club or either of the 2 Kildare clubs mentioned.

For those in the South of the country there is a new cable system, like Wakedock's opening in March 2014 in Mallow, here is their website.

The only time I was wake-boarding was up on Lough Erne, simply savage experience! Highly recommend those guys operating that area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

For anyone interested the wake boarding is starting up in Ballyhass near mallow. Some nice pics of the set up on their fb page.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Peter T wrote: »
    For anyone interested the wake boarding is starting up in Ballyhass near mallow. Some nice pics of the set up on their fb page.

Never heard of these guys before now.

Cheers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Anywhere to learn in the clare/ limerick area?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Best way to learn would be to trek to the cable at ballyhass lakes, it's easier to learn behind a cable than a boat or jetski, but once you get the hang of it behind cable you'll pick it up really quickly behind anything else.
    Hope that helps.

Advertisement