Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which "supercar" does slow the best?

Options
  • 04-09-2007 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from Veyron ...not suitable for Irish roads, etc?

Which out and out sports car actually would be?

I (obviously:D ) have no experience ...but which supercar could actually "drive" in the queue for the toll bridge, in stop and go through town or down a narrow, potholed, loose chippinged, typical Irish country road in such a way that you would actually find it enjoyable?

911's and M3's would be quite able to hack it as a daily driver ...but they're not really "supercars".

I intend to win the lotto tommorow ...recommend me a supercar for Irish roads !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

911 is very much a supercar I'd have said.

It's not a "hypercar" however (Top Gear term).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

ferrari f430/porsche 911 turbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

911 Turbo is the everyday supercar. They have a terrible image attached to them but I'd have to test drive one if I had the money. Also...they won't break your heart like other supercars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Maserati Quattroporte is the only man for Irish roads. I know its not a super or hyper car, but it is the best option imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you have the money to buy a supercar then forget about the roads and go and buy a Zonda or something... cars are meant to be driven, no matter what the price tag.

If someone wants to buy a hypercar car, remain anonymous, then ship it to Spain it's up to them but I do think it's a waste.... especially because there will be a few of them knocking around Spain.

And trying to remain anonymous while showing it off doesn't work in this country, it's too small.

Be proud of the car you buy and DRIVE IT! If I had the money to morrow I'd have a Lamborghini Diablo 6.0se as my "every now and then" car and I'd have a Gallardo nera as my every day car.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Well the super cars i plan to buy are,

Honda nsx
    Ferrari 328 or 308
    Ultima GTR
    Noble M12
    ferarri 348
    Detomaso Pantera

Then ones i would love to own for a short time or even just drive for a day to a week.

ferrari 550
    ferrari 575
    saleen s7
    paganni zonda
    ferrari f40
    mclaren f1

Hard to say which would be nice to drive around slowly as a daily driver untill you have driven them. I find my car is a bit annoying at times as a daily driver, i only get 15 mpg from it on average and the suspension is so hard it can get a bit head wrecking but then the good points of it make it fun enough that i dont mind. ID say id happily drive any supercar around no matter how much hassle it was unless it was so low i coouldnt go over speed bumps etc.

If i had to pick one supercar to own for a year it would be the ferrari f40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The ould Audi RS6 is a doddle to drive every day, and will live with pretty much anything but the most 'hyper' of hypercars.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I really must be getting old ...

IF I won the lohho tomorrow ...I probably WOULD get a 911 (in preference to any other supercar).

Probably not even a turbo, but a Carrera 4S

• Advertisement

wow you are getting old... lol

barryfitz wrote:
    brilliant
    Even better-
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Lamboghini_traktor.jpg

Hmmmm...... Lamborghini...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

911 - is the only super car that can be used as a daily driver - certainly no Ferrari could and why would you want to.

I do see a few DB9's used regularly though too.

RobAMerc wrote:
    911 - is the only super car that can be used as a daily driver - certainly no Ferrari could and why would you want to.

I do see a few DB9's used regularly though too.

you'd want to because you have it, and why couldn't it... There are a good few Ferrari's being used as daily cars and a lot of Astons, and Maseratis (although I don't rate them at all really) and thousands of Porsches

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Rovi wrote:
    Hmmmm...... Lamborghini...

No relation whatsoever to the car company, and apart from having a cool name they don't hold a candle towards John Deere, New Holland, or MF, or any of the better known companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

peasant wrote:

911's and M3's would be quite able to hack it as a daily driver ...but they're not really "supercars".

The op was talking about supercars. I don't think some listed here are supercars myself. Though all great cars things like the nsx, noble, ultima, maserati, 911's to me are not supercars. I also wouldn't put the f430 or the gallardo as a supercar. But that's just me but as the op said he was looking for those cars a bit higher then 911's, like the porsche supercar the cgt. Which i would imagine would be the worst for sitting at the toll bridge. If the gallardo was included i imagine that would be the best for sitting at the toll bridge. If not then perhaps the ford gt. Remeber these are cheap as chips in the states so they are the affordable supercar ;)

yeah, over the last few years the "super car" has kind of gone really...

so now you have lets say "mini super cars" which are affordable to a lot of people
    F430
    Maseratti
    Porsche
    Aston Martins

and there are a lot of them around... And I suppose there are a good few Gallardo's now in Ireland too, at least 6 I can count.

Then you have "hyper cars" - Zonda, Koenigsegg, Murcielago LP640, Veyron etc etc

But if you want to have real super car you'll have to roal back a few years and pick up something like a Diablo.... hmmmmmmm Diablo... drool....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

steve06 wrote:
    you'd want to because you have it, and why couldn't it... There are a good few Ferrari's being used as daily cars and a lot of Astons, and Maseratis (although I don't rate them at all really) and thousands of Porsches

I don't know really, if you look at the milage on any 2nd hand Ferrari here or in the UK you'll see they show they've not been used as daily drivers, and given the engine is generally tuned for max performance with max maintainence I doubt you'd want to - would you use your 348 daily when you know that at 40k miles it will probably need an engine rebuild ?

Can I ask why you don't rate the Masser ? I don't think I would rate the Quattroporte as a Supercar either if thats what you mean - theres a few too many doors on it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

steve06 wrote:

But if you want to have real super car you'll have to roal back a few years and pick up something like a Diablo.... hmmmmmmm Diablo... drool....

The one where you have to open the door and sit on the sill if you need to reverse? :D

peasant wrote:
    The one where you have to open the door and sit on the sill if you need to reverse? :D

no, that's the countach... I'd still want one though, for a collectors item.

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote:
    Can I ask why you don't rate the Masser ? I don't think I would rate it as a Supercar either if thats what you mean - theres a few too many doors on it.:)

yeah I wouldn't rate it as a supercar unless you're tlaking about the MC12... But generally they bore the hell out of me... It's personal taste, I think for the kind of money I could think of a lot nicer cars to buy. I've just never been taken back by one at all.

I know a guy that used to have a Ferrari 456 as his daily driver. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to use a Ferrari 430 everyday. If you can afford to run it the only problem may be getting over the odd speed bump.

Maserati Quattroporte and the new Gransport can easily be used everyday. The 911 is not a supercar, it's a sports car, like the BMW 6-series.

Aston DB9/V8 vantage are used as daily drivers by plenty of people. Same goes for the Bentley GT.

There are hundreds of supercars driving around everyday in cities like London. It is possible to deal with speed bumps, parking, etc. The reason why the owners don't drive them a lot is because of vandalism/damage to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I've driven a Murcielago LP640, Ferrari 430 Spider and Porsche 911 (997) turbo and its got to be the 911 turbo.

The 911 turbo is so comfortable, has a light clutch and gearshift, the ergonomics are spot on, it has fantastic steering. You can actually see out of it and park it. The grip available in the corners is unreal. And when you put push it hard acceleration is unbelieveable, it didn't feel any slower than the LP640 (it just didn't sound quite as nice!!) Its a car that you actually could drive every day.

but come on... It still can't come close to the LP640. Just for the pure felling of "I'm in a lambo..... I'm 6years old again and it's christmas and I just got given a free pass to everything in harrods" I'd have a constant smle on my face for weeks.

SGKM wrote:
    I've driven a Murcielago LP640, Ferrari 430 Spider and Porsche 911 (997) turbo and its got to be the 911 turbo.

The 911 turbo is so comfortable, has a light clutch and gearshift, the ergonomics are spot on, it has fantastic steering. You can actually see out of it and park it. The grip available in the corners is unreal. And when you put push it hard acceleration is unbelieveable, it didn't feel any slower than the LP640 (it just didn't sound quite as nice!!) Its a car that you actually could drive every day.
    was this at thruxton experience or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

The problem in this country is you cannot have a 'supercar' as an everyday car due to vandalism.

I know people with ferrari's and porsche turbo's and they just sit in the garage except maybe for weekends otherwise they get keyed or somehow vandalised no matter where they park them. It's true that we are a nation of begrudgers and it me pisses me off whereas in the states people compliment you on the car.

I'd 'just' get an m3 or audi rs4 as they'd go largely unnoticed by the average scrote....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

re 911 Turbo is not a supercar...

It costs €215000 for a new Turbo.
    BMW 650 is ~€130000.

How much does a 430 cost? Hundred grand more maybe? How do you judge a supercar? By price...or something else?

I'd class the Porsche as a supercar. If you class the Aston Martin DB9 as one then so is the Porsche.

I think there's a lot to do with how excluse and unique they are too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

steve06 wrote:
    but come on... It still can't come close to the LP640. Just for the pure felling of "I'm in a lambo..... I'm 6years old again and it's christmas and I just got given a free pass to everything in harrods" I'd have a constant smle on my face for weeks.

Yeh, it was in thruxton alright.

I just didnt warm to the Lambo like I did to the Porsche. It was very low, extremely wide and difficult to see out of. I wouldn't dare attempting to try and use one as an every day car! Even though a decent spec Lambo would be about £100k more (in the UK) than a decent spec 911 turbo, I'd take the 911 turbo any day. I would have definately said that I preferred the Lambo before I drove them back to back.

Advertisement