Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra Radio

Options
  • 04-09-2007 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm looking to get a new CD/MP3/Radio for my Opel Astra 2003 Comfort edition. The old Radio is a VDO CDR 500.
    I was looking at the Panasonic CQ-C3305N which has an Aux input and supports the iPod too.
    What I'm not sure of is if I can get it to work with the Opel's steering wheel controls and dash display.
    I've heard that I can get an Opel to ISO adapter, but I'm not sure if that will solve this problem or if it just provides the interface between the radio and the car.

Anyone got any experience? Suggestions of good radios?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Thidwick

So has nobody got any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Dont think you can.

The buttons will be useless and the on dash display will only show the time/date

...on the plus side you will have a much better cd player and it will look much better

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think certain units are compatible with the wheel controls. Don't know which though.

For anyone that is interested, I got this reply from in-car express in the UK:

If you want to keep the display, you'll need to opt for a Sony unit.
    You'd need to go for a unit with steering remote input and changer
    control, which basically means the CDX-GT610U or higher. You'll then need to
    add this interface:

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=DOPS004

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Does anyone know how i could add an AUX in for my ipod to the standard radio?

If so who does it in Dublin (South Side pref.) and how much should it cost, i reckon all i need is a cable that is plugged in at the back somewhere ?

itrips suck and as good as MP3 cds are its a pain having to burn them.

• Advertisement

I asked Opel if that was possible with the VDO CDR 500 and they said it wasn't.

I went as far as taking out the radio to check if there were any ports in the back of the radio and there weren't. Since I didn't have a schematic, I didn't bother trying to figure out if there was somewhere to solder a wire to (you'd need to be able to power up the device).

You never know though, maybe some electronics store knows how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Cheers for that thidwick its a bit of a joke thats its not on it in the first place.

I have to call into them as my break pads are squeaking so will ask the dealer if there is any poss of a cable.

Advertisement