Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I freeze bananas?

• 04-09-2007 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi

I want to freeze Innocent Smoothies but the helpline told me that freezing bananas can make them go a bit funny. Whatever that means! But otherwise no problem freezing them. Anyone froze bananas before? To freeze or not to freeze?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

well theres a Smoothie Mix that you buy frozen made by 1st choice and theres Banana in that. i assume it would be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

well, my mum often freezes brown bananas to use at a later date for banana tea bread. they work out fine :) but they are already old, so i don't know how a fresh banana would react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dont think there is a problem. Like many fruit & veg it causes the cells to explode, so when it is defrosted it will turn to mush, often brown mush due to oxidation. But if it is in a smoothie or soup this is no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I left a banana in the fridge once and it turned absolutely jet black and mushy.

I don't know if that helps or not!

Why not make your own banana-free smoothies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You shouldn't keep them in a fridge because as someone else said, they go black. Dunno about freezing. Bananas are sprayed with some chemical anyway to make them last longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Maybe if you peel them and put them in an airtight ziplock bag ?

**Got this from a google search, "Select firm, ripe bananas. Peel; mash thoroughly. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid per cup of mashed banana. Pack into containers, leave headspace, seal and freeze."

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 babs007

All Innocent smoothies have bananas in them.... want to get these particular ones for baby....

Might try freezing and see how that goes....thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

There's enzymes in bananas that go nuts in teh cold and start breaking down the fruit faster. your green banana will quickly turn black. freezing is not going to leave you with the prettiest looking banana, but, as a fan of hte overripe banana, it will not leave you with a manky tasting banana

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I'v frozen chunks of banana before with no problem.

Advertisement