Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitled for grant do i pay €896 ??

Options
  • 04-09-2007 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,
    If you are entitled to a grant, do you have to pay the registration fees ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Generally the grant is for you living expenses and separate from the fees. Check with your college.

Yup, you shouldn't have to pay the reg fee as the Council/VEC should pay it for you, though some Colleges have the ridiculous situation where you have to pay the reg fee and they'll reimburse you. You'll only get €825 (which is the actual reg fee) paid for you if you're entitled to a grant - anything above this is additional levies charged by the college, so you'll have to pay that yourself. So, do what the smashinator said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

josie80 wrote:
    Hi all,
    If you are entitled to a grant, do you have to pay the registration fees ?
    Thanks
    I had the same worries, you got an invoice for fees right? My grant acceptance hadn't come through by the time I got to college and this worried me as I couldn't afford the fees.

I phoned the college and they informed me that I could possibly, technically and all that, be asked to leave the classroom. This doesn't happen though as the college admin are aware of delays in the grant acceptance process.

Once you are accepted for the grant, the fees are paid for by the VEC as someone mentioned, until then your fees bill will be yours. If you are on a low income under about 40000 I think (not 100% on that figure you should check it out) then you should be ok.

My first couple of wks in college were spent in expectation of someone entering the class and taking me out. Now I know better. if you are really pushed for cash (have kids and creche expenses etc) while in college realise that some colleges offer hardship grants and there is also the millenium fund (google that).
    Though I wouldn't apply for these unless you are really stuck as these funds are limited and run out at times which could leave some people really struggling. Good luck.

Advertisement