Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheen Gardens and dooradoyle area

Options
  • 04-09-2007 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭

Hi

My sister is thinking of moving in to this area, looks ok to me.
    Any opinions and views on the area,

Is it quiet, public transport etc

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

My friend lives in raheen.
    He doesn't like it. The public transport service is poor. I think it's quiet enough though. He gives me the impression the area is built around industrial estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I live in Dooradoyle across from the Crescent shopping center its a grand spot there is a bus outside the shopping center but I have a car so I don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

pwd wrote:
    My friend lives in raheen.
    He doesn't like it. The public transport service is poor. I think it's quiet enough though. He gives me the impression the area is built around industrial estates.

??? There are no houses around the industrial estate. Apart from the few on Church road that do face/back onto that area, you wouldnt even know there was an industrial estate.

The public transport service has really improved over the last few years in Dooradoyle. Most people should be no more than a 5 minutes walk to a bus stop in Dooradoyle. Dont know for certain about Raheen/Fr Russell Road area as I dont live down there but Im sure I have passed bus stops on Fr Russell road.

The Crescent is also a big plus. Means you dont have to into town to go shopping and face the traffic/parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Except for the traffic getting out in the morning and getting back in in the evening it is one of the choice areas around Limerick . It's about time they brought it inside the city boundaries but that is another issue ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Luckily for me I go out the dual carriage-way towards Adare for work. No traffic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

watsgone wrote:
    Hi

My sister is thinking of moving in to this area, looks ok to me.
    Any opinions and views on the area,

Is it quiet, public transport etc

Thanks

Quite expensive. Some lads in work wanted to get a house or rent
    an apartment and the starting prices of what they could find was 950 Euros
    a month for rent. (I bought a house in the area a few years ago
    and its costing me less the 700 Euros to buy the damn thing)

Bus service has got better. From Raheen Church to Town and Back.
    The Ballycummin route exists but there is only one bus an hour?? And it never
    seems to be as per timetable and last time I checked the service ended
    before 19:00 and there was nothing later.

Not a whole lot to do out that way. There is gym or two and leisure center,
    the Shopping centre and a few pubs but thats about it.

Everything has become built up around the area way too many houses.
    And there is very little sense of community anymore. Growing up I
    knew most if not all my neighbors and was living in an estate with well over 100 houses.

Nowadays I dont even know who lives next door to me as they keep to themselves
    and I rarely if ever see them. Nearly every house is rented except a few,
    and an awful lot of people seem to be from other countries, not that there
    is anything wrong with that its just weird when most of the people on your
    street dont speak english as the first language it kinda makes me feel like
    a foreigner in my own home area when I only have english and no 2nd language.
    A load of houses are constantly up for sale and there are people
    moving in an out all the time so it make it difficult to know if
    people are from the area or not.

I'd much prefer to be out in the sticks but if I had to choose
    Out of all the Areas in the Raheen/Dooradoyle/Ballykeefe areas I would
    have to say my favourite area would be Meadowvale

~B

bullets wrote:

Everything has become built up around the area way too many houses.
    And there is very little sense of community anymore. Growing up I
    knew most if not all my neighbors and was living in an estate with well over 100 houses.

Nowadays I dont even know who lives next door to me as they keep to themselves
    and I rarely if ever see them.
    ~B

I think to be fair that that is more to do with growing up , as kids you know everyone around because you are out and about , as an adult you have more to do and less time for random interaction . When/if you have kids you really only get to know some of the parents of the kids that your kids play with , so in my experience you never get to know as many people in your neighbourhood .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Raheen is pretty crap unless you have a car, there are parts of it where it is a good stretch of the legs to a bus stop or shopping center.

Lived in Gouldavoher for a while and hated it. Unless you are working out there you are better off finding something on ballinacurra Road or o connell avenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

My 2 cents.

I live in Abbeycourt, Fr. Russell Rd. Nice place and is close to Russell's pub, Spar, an offy and now Slattery's chipper.

I agree about having a car, depending on where you live in Raheen/Dooradoyle. Before Abbeycourt, I was living in Glencairin near Ballycummin. This was before I was driving and it made things awkward that the 312 finished around 1900.

Plus points: Near to the industrial estate if you work there. Near to the Crescent shopping centre and cinema. Close to the dual carriageway for getting out to the other side of town easily and will be close to the Shannon Tunnel. Generally very little trouble. It can be nice to stroll around in the evening after work and is close to the countryside so you could cycle out towards Mungret, Clarina etc.

Minus points: Could do with more facilities even though I think Limerick as a whole could do with more things to do. If you don't have a car and live far away from the regular 304 bus route it can be awkward.

My 2 cents.

I live in Abbeycourt, Fr. Russell Rd. Nice place and is close to Russell's pub, Spar, an offy and now Slattery's chipper.

I agree about having a car, depending on where you live in Raheen/Dooradoyle. Before Abbeycourt, I was living in Glencairin near Ballycummin. This was before I was driving and it made things awkward that the 312 finished around 1900.

Plus points: Near to the industrial estate if you work there. Near to the Crescent shopping centre and cinema. Close to the dual carriageway for getting out to the other side of town easily and will be close to the Shannon Tunnel. Generally very little trouble. It can be nice to stroll around in the evening after work and is close to the countryside so you could cycle out towards Mungret, Clarina etc.

Minus points: Could do with more facilities even though I think Limerick as a whole could do with more things to do. If you don't have a car and live far away from the regular 304 bus route it can be awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Thanks for all the feed back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

hey sonic i live in abbey court as well(small place this internet) and i have to agree its a very nice estate. never any trouble around there and there is a few things to do with the pub across the way and the restaurants and crescent and cinema. if our looking to go to town a lot and dont have a car its tough cos the cabs arent cheap. the main thing for me is how quiet and little trouble there is cos i grew up in a lot rougher part of the city and while i met some lovely people there i am glad my first house is in a nice quiet estate

Good to hear that Vertigo100. Bought there a year ago and really like the place.

If they extended the 312 bus service it would be class. I usually grab the 304 at Xtravision if I'm heading for town in the late evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

My 2 cents.

Anyone know just when that Chipper is actually going to be open?
    waiting AAAAAgggggeeeessss now and last time I checked all the
    blinds were still down and no sign of life coming from the place.

I'm also on/near the Fr. Russell Rd, and car-less. I usually cycle up to
    the Slatterys chipper in Ballycummin village and then try and race back home
    before the chips get cold to bring em back to herself who loves here greasy fat
    chips soaked in vinager.

~B

Good news! Went for a walk Tuesday evening and it was open. Don't know when exactly it opened, must have been very recently.

Must visit it this weekend :D

bullets wrote:
    then try and race back home
    before the chips get cold to bring em back to herself who loves here greasy fat
    chips soaked in vinager.

~B

Surely there are none left by the time you get back ...noway slattery's chips last that long ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Yeah bought here about a year ago myself and am quite happy with it too. I usually get herself to drop me into town if i am going for a pint anyway:D

Advertisement