Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managed to get my Q6600 G0 to 3.2GHz undervolted!

• 04-09-2007 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Looks like i'm having some luck for once! This q6600 I recieved is surely a winner! I got to 3GHz stable at stock vcore (1.35?) so I decided to try dropping the voltage a bit down to 1.25v and still seemed stable. So last night I bit the bullet and cranked up to 3.2GHz (356x9) leaving the vcore at 1.25 and to my surprise it's looking rock solid stable! 10hrs prime so far! And the best part is the cores are only barely touching 60C! Used to hit 63C at 3.0GHz!

Think I could get 3.4 while still keeping undervolted?..or do you think i'm asking too for much!?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Heh. Lets see how you get on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Yeah you'll see:) I'm hoping to reach around 3.5 for 24/7.

Something really annoying just happened and I sure hope it's just due to vista... My 11hr prime run was just stopped by an all to familiar windows message saying, 'This program has stopped working properly' and asked me to close..:mad: When I looked at the prime window behind the windows message though I could see that clearly the prime tests did not fail (all still marked green), windows just stopped it, so maybe this means it wasnt a prime failure or OC instability? What do you think?

I have had this happen alot with coretemp aswell. Same message.

Yeah, they are not compatible with vista. Not a microsoft problem, but the people who make these programs haven't a clue what they are doing. Just run the program in compatibility mode winxp sp2. Works a treat.

Right I see. Starting to regret going Vista... Don't have a second hard drive so can't dual boot with xp.

I'm just gonna call my 3.2ghz OC stable... I mean it ran close to 11hrs..

On to 3.4:)

I'll update on my progress.

i personally call 5 hours stable. As how often do you ever max yoru pc out at 100% for 5 hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

fractals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

SyxPak wrote:
    fractals

banned i say !:D

why undervolt ur cpu ???????????????????????????????????????????????

give to 1.4 and try 3.6

best off finding ur best ram setting first tho.

why undervolt ur cpu ???????????????????????????????????????????????

give to 1.4 and try 3.6

best off finding ur best ram setting first tho.
    Well lower temps for one. And I need the lowest temps I can possibly get so I am seeing how far I can go at this voltage (1.25), before raising it anymore. I think I might pop it up to at least 1.30v for 3.4GHz though.

Oh yeah I still havent started bringing my ram up to speed yet. It's way below it's potential right now. But I must admit I am finding it hard to figure out how to adjust my ram to the right speed with this new BIOS layout. Alot different to how it was done on my previous boards BIOS... It has the DRAM Frequency options (choose 667, 1067mhz etc) but I also have to keep in mind the FSB. Very confusing to me. I don't want to kill my RAM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Anti wrote:
    i personally call 5 hours stable. As how often do you ever max yoru pc out at 100% for 5 hours?
    That doesn't mean it couldn't return an incorrect data at any time, if you're 5hrs orthos stable that doesn't mean an error will only occur after 5hrs, it could easily happen when you're copying a file 10mins after booting the PC, and then it's hello corrupted filesystem :(. For 24/7 use I'd personally go no less then 24hrs blend and another 24hrs of small FFTS, I'd go even longer if I wasn't so impatient.
    Nice chip Hendrix, I've got a B3 siting here, I was hoping for a G0 but I guess it wasn't to be. Hopefully it's still a good clocker though. Just in case you didn't know core temp doesn't read G0 stepping CPU's correctly yet, add 15C and you should be right.

Wait I though it's speedfan that gives inaccurate temps no?

I certainly hope Coretemp isnt reading off, cause that would mean my CPU is getting badly scorched... Are you sure?

• Advertisement

core temp is dodge with some go's it read's right but with some it does not.

what does it say for tjunction?

It reads 100C for tjunction. From the research I did it seems most g0 users have this tjunction. Is this good or bad?

I also found out that the latest version of coretemp (which i'm using) is more accurate than the other versions. I really hope so.

You guys have made me afraid to continue my OCing now!

Hendrix89 wrote:
    It reads 100C for tjunction. From the research I did it seems most g0 users have this tjunction. Is this good or bad?

I also found out that the latest version of coretemp (which i'm using) is more accurate than the other versions. I really hope so.

You guys have made me afraid to continue my OCing now!
    If your using the very latest 0.95.4 it should read Tjunction as 85c, which would be correct, but I guess your not.

Nibble, after talking to some quad users I am pretty convinced that coretemp is reading mine correct. Thankfully. They all have 100c tjunction

I have managed to reach 3.33GHz prime stable now at a higher voltage of 1.33v (cpu-z reading). I was going for 3.4 but it required me to crank the volts to close to 1.36v and I would probably be hitting over 70C on prime... Do you think thats too hot?

I am not giving up yet though and will be trying some new settings like some voltage onto the FSB/NB.

Anyone have any other suggestions to get me stable at 3.4 on lower vcore?

upto 80c is fine.

that would be a bute on wc man.

throw me ur stepping.(on ur box)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Since dropping the voltage seems to have gone well for you, I tried the same and dropped it to 1.2V @ stock speeds.

Means a 4 degree drop in full load temps in games. Closer to 60 rather than 70 degrees under load!

Just got my TR 120mm Extreme in the post today, so I will see how much more I can drop the temps :-)

awhir wrote:
    upto 80c is fine.

that would be a bute on wc man.

throw me ur stepping.(on ur box)
    Okay good then i'm sure it would be able to put up with 8-10hrs of prime at 70C then. Time to do more testing. I am considering going water, but then again it's unfamiliar ground for me and I fear a disaster! Maybe in time.

Full stepping: BX80562Q6600SLACR
    Batch code: L725B020

@ uberpixie,

Oh yeah lower volts does wonders for temps!:) Good luck with the new cooler. Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Managed to fit it yesterday.

The most Intel TAT can stress the first 2 cores is to 70 degrees, as opposed to nearly 85 with the arctic cooler.

Seem to hit 60-62 degrees under load in bioshock.

Mounted 2 scythe flex 1200 RPMs in my case, 1 on the cooler pulling air through it and 1 as an exhaust.

Has made a big difference to noise.

The cooler is big alright, but not a huge as I thought and fits neat enough in the case.

Install was straight forward, no problem with fitting it. Got it on the motherboard quicker that the arctic cooler! With the amount of copper on my motherboard, the arctic was a bigger pain to install even though it uses the standard stock cooler's push in pin mountings.

Mountings for the TR ultra 120 are very easy to fit and makes a very snug secure fit to the motherboard.

Overall very happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Lowered my vcore to 1.25v and up'd the multi to 11 (giving me 2933Mhz) and no change in idle and load temps, in fact I think they've gone down some as I have all my fans on low now (my 2 exhaust fans are moving at around 900rpms)

The hell is wrong with you people, your meant to be overclockers.... Under volting cpu's..pft... You disgust me, the lot of ya ;)

Will give it a go on mine tonight. Also, last night i raised the cvore from 1.5 to 1.55 and there is no difference at all in temps, will try 1.6 ( my mobo max ) and see if i can go higher then 3.8.

• Advertisement

it depends on your priorities, i'm a gamer first, overclocker second. I have no need to overclock anything atm. I haven't found a game yet that is causing my system to have an unbearable fps. Plus with the recent bad spell of headaches with my build over the last few months (spanning back to march ffs) i'm finally at a stage where everything is working fine for once. I'm not about to upset the equilibrium now. Cool temps and a safe overclock is all i'm after until crysis gets released.

That being said i'm going to be testing my systems limits on the weekend. I want to see at what temperature my system will BSOD. With all my fans on low my CPU is hitting around 65'c after a few hours of Bioshock. I'd be happy with that temp up to 85'c.

I dont like my temps going over 60c. And im happy with the setup i have now the cpu only hits 53c under load ( checks VNC now ) 51c atm, and its been looping the new cpc benchmark suit all night. Guess i left a window open ;)

Me, im a overclockers first, gamer second. I know there are no games that even stress this pc atm. But i like seeing 299fps in cs:s constantly. But its even betetr with 16xAA and 8xAD and still hitting 150fps.

Now see with me I kind of need the most I can get out of my CPU due to my gfx card being under par. I want to enjoy Crysis maxed out so badly so I'm clocking up my Quad as far as it can go!

Decided to halt the OCing on it for a bit now though cause where i'm at now (3.34GHz) the cores are touching 66/67C in prime runs... Still just under stock volts and stable though:) Only 1.32v. Thing is to get 3.4 I it needs no less than around 1.37/38v so thats a no go.

I am thinking of trying some methods to improve the temps. Maybe modding some fans on to the case. However i've never done anything to the extreme of cutting my case so i've been putting it off...

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Now see with me I kind of need the most I can get out of my CPU due to my gfx card being under par. I want to enjoy Crysis maxed out so badly so I'm clocking up my Quad as far as it can go!

why is your GTS holding you back? You've only got a 19" screen, so your max res is, what, 1280x1024. At that res the GTS performs nearly as good as the GTX

If you need a hand modding your case just gimme a shout, and ill be round with my dremel :D

L31mr0d wrote:
    why is your GTS holding you back? You've only got a 19" screen, so your max res is, what, 1280x1024. At that res the GTS performs nearly as good as the GTX
    Well for dx10 games like crysis it won't be doing so well I imagine. Even at 1280x1024.
    If you need a hand modding your case just gimme a shout, and ill be round with my dremel
    Yeah maybe I will:) No charge of course right??:D

Anti wrote:
    The hell is wrong with you people, your meant to be overclockers.... Under volting cpu's..pft... You disgust me, the lot of ya ;)

Will give it a go on mine tonight. Also, last night i raised the cvore from 1.5 to 1.55 and there is no difference at all in temps, will try 1.6 ( my mobo max ) and see if i can go higher then 3.8.
    So you got it then:D :D:D . And just to make it clear again Tjunction is 85c on G0 NOT 100c, so if your prog is reading 100c as Tjunction temps are 15c too low.

Right well looks like i'm finally stable at a hefty 3.4GHz now lads:)

Took some guts to start a prime run and watch the cores tip 69C! Got back tonight, PC room was ice cold so I thought to hell with it:D

Was quite tough getting the sweet spot for it though. I've lost count of the many BSOD's I got trying for 3.4 during the past couple of days... Strangely though 378x9 (which I have going now) allows me to have a lower vcore than my past tries with 425x8 :confused: Woulda thought it'd be the opposite... I'm running 1.36 (real) volts through it now. Needed over 1.38v to keep 425x8 going without freezing up... Weird.

So the prime run is approaching 3hrs now. However I won't be letting it run overnight cause I'm not comfortable with leaving it at these temps for a long period. I'll call it a pass at 5hrs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

5 hours

play crysis for 5hours and 1 minute , bang bsod save game gone ...not a happy taught :(

• Advertisement

Don't kill my spirit man...:D

I'll probably re-run it for longer again in a couple of days. And anyway I won't be playing Crysis for 5hrs straight:D

Advertisement