Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pilonidal sinus

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Babypanda

Hi people,
    It's been a while since I posted, about 4years maybe. But today I just really feel the need to post and vent.
    So I'm about 2months after my third surgery and I know from experience that these nasty little buggers take time to heal! But this one just seems to be dragging out.
    When this one first came about, it snuck up on me from behind (literally)
    I didn't get any warning signs of a lump appearing on the skin or redness.
    This time I had lower back pain maybe for a week (but it was only in the mornings so I thought I just had to wee)
    But then one day out of no where my scar from my past two surgery's was swollen but the pain seemed to be lower even though the scar was swollen.
    Anyway my partner brought me to hospital the next day, sitting in a&e waiting to be seen and thinking the little boy next to me had farted, when the nurse calls me in I realise its my back and that it had built up so much and bust.
    I got kept in for surgery that night.
    Two months later in still getting it dressed doing all I should be doing but it just seems to be talking so long and I feel like I'm getting frustrated at everything.
    My partner is doing all he can for me but even I can tell he's starting to get sick of it too! Well that's what I think he think's. It just feels never ending today for some reason. I've not complained once since I have had the operation because people don't need to be listening to it. So when I've been asked I've said yes I'm fine thank you. But today I just needed a rant because I was sick of keeping it all in! Sorry to anyone that might take their time in reading this it's not that interesting. It's just a young woman feeling sorry for herself and needing to let off steam!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gshock_123

Hey, I had surgery the end of May 2017, had a PICO (VAC like) on for a few weeks, nearly 6 weeks post operation it was nearly healed, something happened and it opened again. PICO on again for awhile and same thing.. Been dressing it 3 times a week since. It has got so close to healing and something happens, usually I walk to much and then it opens a bit again. It's been 5 and a half months and seemed moreless healed two weeks ago but did too much walking and it opened a bit again. Any suggestions to help with healing or things to do? thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Gshock_123 wrote: »
    Hey, I had surgery the end of May 2017, had a PICO (VAC like) on for a few weeks, nearly 6 weeks post operation it was nearly healed, something happened and it opened again. PICO on again for awhile and same thing.. Been dressing it 3 times a week since. It has got so close to healing and something happens, usually I walk to much and then it opens a bit again. It's been 5 and a half months and seemed moreless healed two weeks ago but did too much walking and it opened a bit again. Any suggestions to help with healing or things to do? thanks.

Can you explain what you mean by "it opens up a bit again"? Have you discussed this with your surgeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gshock_123

Berserker wrote: »
    Can you explain what you mean by "it opens up a bit again"? Have you discussed this with your surgeon?

I've got a few infections that set it back but when I seem to do too much walking it's like the wound breaks down and seems to open up more. Ya the surgeon has seen it a few times, they just tell me to keep dressing it and it'll be fine, it just takes time. It's fairly small at the minute and not that deep but seems to bleed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I've got a few infections that set it back but when I seem to do too much walking it's like the wound breaks down and seems to open up more. Ya the surgeon has seen it a few times, they just tell me to keep dressing it and it'll be fine, it just takes time. It's fairly small at the minute and not that deep but seems to bleed.

Can't really offer you much in the line of advice above what you were told. Keep the area clean and change the dressing every day. I know that the cost adds up when you have to keep buying dressings for months on end but keeping a wound like that clean is the key. You are just going to have to tough it out, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Melanieg081

Just wondering how long people had pilonidal sinus for and how is they cope?

I helped to cure flare ups in the following ways:
    Epson salt baths, keep area free of hair and keep dry. If flare up occurs treat with bentonite clay it takes out infection. If necessary slice an onion place a light gause on area and keep on over night. Very large boils/ infections need to go to A&E they will make a small drain incision, nevessary as antibiotic.s are too late

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Melanieg081

I helped to cure flare ups in the following ways:
    Epson salt baths, keep area free of hair and keep dry. If flare up occurs treat with bentonite clay it takes out infection. If necessary slice an onion place a light gause on area and keep on over night. Very large boils/ infections need to go to A&E they will make a small drain incision, nevessary as antibiotic.s are too late

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pilonotfun

Hi All,

I have recently had my second dose of surgery (the first was many years ago) and want to share my experience to benefit others as I was lucky enough to fall into it and it really worked out. I didn't see any information on it at the time online and I really really recommend it. I think the procedure is new in Ireland.

I was living down in Cork at the time so called into a local GP. I'd noticed the telltale sign of blood on my boxers, but to be honest about it, I kind of knew for years that there was something going on down there. That 'feeling' had come back.

Anyway, the GP diagnosed it, and referred me to the local colorectal surgeon, a Mr Brian Barry, who is based in the Cork Clinic. Guess because its that general area, they deal with it. The previous surgeon who I'd gone to in Dublin had since retired. So I called up his office and made an appointment, nice fellow, ran me down my options, the success rates, long healing time etc. A depressing situation really as if you're reading this you know all too well. He explained about leaving the wound open, healing from inside out, weekly dressing, vacuum dressings etc. Having done a little bit of research online, I asked 'are there any alternatives'. He explained that there were, although he didn't know too much of the detail, there was a plastic surgeon (also based in the cork clinic) that could use her skin grafting skills to manipulate skin from around the area to seal up the wound. But I'd have to go and see her in order to find out the details, recovery rates etc. I thanked him and made an appointment with the plastic surgeon, a Ms Ann McKenna.

Ms Ann McKenna, what can you say when someone so lovely saved you so much pain and time and discomfort. Honestly. So I met Ann in the Clinic, I'm an inquisitive fellow and I asked a bundle of questions. She took the time to explain the current thinking which I'll describe at the end of the post as best as I can remember as its been a few months now. She happened to have a gap/cancellation in between performing surgeries on kids, shes an actual saint, and could see me in a few days time - so I've no idea of waiting lists. The lovely Ann performed a 'Z-plasty flap reconstruction', which entailed digging the whole lot out (also another risk with the old surgery methods is that they might miss the pit, with the Z plasty you're practically guaranteed to get it - plus its biopsied to ensure that they did), then moving skin over from the side and sowing it all up. So instead of an open, painful, slow healing wound, you have a closed Z.
    (there was also a rectangular option that she decided against). The surgery was in the Bons down in Cork (luckily I had private health insurance so all it cost me was the GP fee and the excess on the surgery), the procedure required general anesthetic, and 2 or 3 nights in the hospital, can't recall which. I was back to my desk based job in about 9-10 days total, although I used a cushion for a while. Went back for a check-up 3 weeks later and was given the go ahead to go back to the gym etc (something about blood flow when muscle is re-arranged - Ann will explain if you're gunning to get back exercising).

The only downside is, it got a little uncomfortable sitting down on long haul flight that I took a month later. At the same time, I was able to get a long haul flight 1 and a half months after the surgery. It feels like there is a lump there. Ann explained it as such: you're body is used to having a big hole there, now you have tissue, it'll take a while to get used to. And I am gradually getting used to it too. Also, there is a narly enough scar on your bum like Harry Potter's scar. I don't mind but perhaps others might.

So, 100% would recommend. Ann really sorted me out. And she's lovely.

Current thinking: Some hair follicles have numerous hairs, most of the hairs will stay inside the follicle. Sometimes in that moist, sweaty atmosphere that is your crack, an infection will set in. So the whole 'hair from your haircut falling down into your crack and borrowing in' - is BS. Also, shaving is bad. Can't remember about laser being good or not.

Advertisement