Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI-E Question

Options
  • 04-09-2007 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have a socket 939 motherboard ( A8N-SLI Premium) with two 8x PCI-E slots. I want to upgrade my gfx cards to one of these: http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=640-P2-N821-AR&family=23

Will this work with my motherboard? the website claims the card has "PCI-E x16 Compatibility (PCI Express Compliant)" - would this work in an x8 slot?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chisler

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yes it will work.

The two PCI-e slots are only running in x8 mode when SLI is enabled, when it is not the primary slot is running in x16 mode and the second is running as an x1 slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chisler

Thanks for the reply. I'll go ahead and order the new gfx card now.

Chisler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

unless you have a large screen <22" then i would go for the 8800gts 320mb version. Because you will not see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chisler

I have two Dell 2407WFP's - heard the extra memory is needed for high res screens (1920x1200). Is that the case?

Chisler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yep, thats the case indeed. That why i asked about your screen. As if you had a 17 or 19" screen you would not be able to tell the difference in the two cards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement