Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom netopia router, used for file sharing?

Options
  • 04-09-2007 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Can the eircom Netopia router (The wireless one, but i'm using RJ45 connections from computer => router) be used for windows file sharing. In other words, can that router be used like a hub/switch?

It may be a silly question, I realise routers are Layer 3 devices, unlike hub/switch (layer 1 and 2) but would like to know if it can be done before I try it and possibly pull all my hair out! Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

if the router has 4 ports in the back, then its a 4 port switch / router , then it behaves exactly the same as a normal switch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sweet, yeah it has 4 x RJ45 ports... I'll give it a shot this evening so :)

Presumably just make sure all pc's are in the same workgroup and have file and printer sharing ticked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Also, make sure that DHCP is activated on the netopia, and that all your PC's network cards are set to get an IP address automatically.

Or, if you've manually put in IP addresses (these should still be non-routable addresses, in the 192.168.x.y range) , make sure they are in the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0 would be fine in a small office/home office setting).

Edit: Yaay...300th post :)

Yakuza - Yup, DHCP is active on the router and IP's on PC's are 'Set automatically' ... no point in manually assigning IP's when DHCP can take care of it, there's only 2 pc's in question

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unless you play Guildwars, use Skype, etc etc in which case Static IPs and portforwarding may be more useful.

• Advertisement

watty wrote:
    Unless you play Guildwars, use Skype, etc etc in which case Static IPs and portforwarding may be more useful.

So you reckon turn DHCP off and assign IP/Subnet to each PC? Do I need to set the gateway on the PC's as the router's IP? (192.168.1.1 from memory)

Advertisement