Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Professions and Insurance Premiums

Options
  • 04-09-2007 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Just out of interest, I was wondering as most insurance companies want to know what you do for a living before they quote you, which would be seen as a high risk profession? And what would be a low risk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I would guess its because certain positions mean you are out and about in your car more, or maybe at more unsociable hours. I'd say your average 9-5 office job would be considered low-risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It used to be the case where they would load certain professions, but i think that's kinda changed now as there is more competition in the car insurance market, but i'm open to correction...

i can't remember the last time i was asked my occupation when going for a quote..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Go to one of insurance sites and try it..

Tried a few on the QD site and it didn't make a difference to the quote.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Jockeys, entertainers, sportspeople and journalists publicans will tend to be loaded.

It's down to claims experience and varies insurer to insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Only yesterday I asked a good friend of mine who works in Hibernian what the story was and she said they can't do it anymore. Barmen were one example she used where they used to be loaded due to driving late at night and it seems to be done away with now.

I'm sure they've found some other way to screw us now though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Always Loaded being a mechanic :mad: but it dropped dramatically when i went to work in a bank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

Gardai get a discount...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I get quoted more if I state I'm an Interior Designer, cheaper if I say industrial designer...

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

The punters friend (AKA The Bookies ) used to be considered high risk probably due to the transfer of cash to /from the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

My brother is a professional musician and I can't get him insured on my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

do musicians tend to drink drive or something?

Advertisement