Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia vs Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

nipplenuts wrote:
    Yes, and as you say, two poor to mediocre teams, so a fair result. This, whether we like it or not, is our level, and the sooner we understand that, the happier we'll all be.
    We have a better squad of players than Slovakia. We should have won that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Anto McC wrote:
    8,500 clowns in Celtic jerseys with bodhráns and rubber hammers singing Olé olé olé, i'm f*cking delighted for every single f*cking one of you.

Trolling doesn't become you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

BaZmO* wrote:
    Is this the bit where we're all supposed to say, "How dare you?" "What are you talking about?" "Don't be such a twat!!" etc. ect. :rolleyes:

Dunno but the same guy has Forza Shels and up the dubs in his sig, the same shels who had 24 thousand of these people at a game and the dub who have 100,000 smack heads if croke park could hold them all.

again wtf?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Just back in from the pub. Nearly died after the first Slovak equaliser, when Doyles went in i just prayed for it to end. The place was packed out, beautiful birds around the place, the hought of flying to Prague with 3 in the bag, Im thinking come 90 plus there is going to be one hell of an all nighter (cant go clubbin, off to Prague on Tuesday and so Im paranoid about losing the passport before it) I havent cried about anything in god knows how many years but tonight was the closest I have come. Its almost as if it wouldnt have been as bad in any other minute, but with what, 2.5 mins left? Absoloutely heartbreaking. Had a few of the lads round last night and there are 7 beers left to throw on top of the pub pints. Needless to say, Im getting ****ed tonight :(

Anto McC wrote:
    8,500 clowns in Celtic jerseys with bodhráns and rubber hammers singing Olé olé olé, i'm f*cking delighted for every single f*cking one of you.

Indeed. Lets do like the Slovak fans- when the team have a slim but possible chance of qualifying, dont turn up to the stadium, to the extent that the foreign fans ounumber the home lads.

This whole anti Ole Ole show your proud to be Irish thing on this board thing has intrigued me for quite a bit, whats the story with it?

re decisions, ref missed a few for us (particularly the bizarre Doyle decision for pushing, no.1 he didnt push and 2nd the slovak made a blatant handball, he looked as surprised as we were to win the free). Taking off Doyle for Douglas was insane, Robbie did next to nothing tonight, stick on Long in his place (or was he still injured? Read earlier he had a broken hand but was expected to play anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

nipplenuts wrote:
    Yes, and as you say, two poor to mediocre teams, so a fair result. This, whether we like it or not, is our level, and the sooner we understand that, the happier we'll all be.

I'm not saying we shouldn't aspire, mind you.

Thats the frustrating thing! we're not! just look at our squad, we can easily play 11 players who are playing well week in week out for their clubs at decent levels. Under this management we're mediocre but that is NOT our level.

zuutroy wrote:
    What was Nancy O'Shea doing for that goal?

Fúck knows. And I was only saying yesterday how I thought he'd improved over the last twelve months. And I wonder why my footy bets never come up, I obviously know nothing. Shag this, I'm off to Bordeaux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

nipplenuts wrote:

I'm not saying we shouldn't aspire, mind you.

Lol my opinion kdjacs opinion is his and his alone

That ireland are no better than Eircom League and on a par with the best players the Eircom league has, still to this day is my opinion. We punched above our weight for a few years now sadly going back to the level we rightfully should be at. But the fans that jumped on the bandwagon are all PL fans and assume that ireland should be good for some reason.

kdjac

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Thats the frustrating thing! we're not! just look at our squad, we can easily play 11 players who are playing well week in week out for their clubs at decent levels. Under this management we're mediocre but that is NOT our level.
    Hear, hear!

Obviously the likes of Germany are a superior side. The Czechs would have a narrow advantage over us. We definitely have a superior team to the Slovaks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

But how can we attract a decent manager if we NEVER get to any major championships?

Also i think BaZmO is going to set the Guinness World Record for number of consecutive posts with the eye rolling smiley in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ah well, it'll all be forgotten when Keano sticks 4 past Lehmann in a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

We have a better squad of players than Slovakia. We should have won that game.

But we shouldn't. We were away from home with a squad whose star players are a good goalkeeper and an average defender. Slovakia have several Bundesliga players in their squad, they are no less a side in terms of quality players than Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Can someone upload the bit were Dunphy takes the piss out of England. They was just so funny.

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    But how can we attract a decent manager if we NEVER get to any major championships?

I just think we need a manager. Dont need a world class one, dont need a very good one, just a manager who has managed teams with a reasonable amount of success and has been in these situations before and so can call on past experience with various previous teams to guide him in his decisions.

Christ how many people on this board posted up their expectations/ideas of substitutions which would have been far more effective then playing 3 central midfielders, none of them particularly creative when we're being penned in and really need some place to be able to release the ball to. Would pretty much everyone in the country who knows a jot about football not agree that Hunt and Reid would have been better decisions then Gibson and Douglas? Ok, if you want to be cautious make only one of those subs (though imo Hunt would have offered more both attacking and defending then Douglas, and at least would have been mad to get on the ball).

nipplenuts wrote:
    But we shouldn't. We were away from home with a squad whose star players are a good goalkeeper and an average defender. Slovakia have several Bundesliga players in their squad, they are no less a side in terms of quality players than Ireland.
    Disagree. Overall, our squad is stronger than the Slovakian one, the vast majority of whom ply their trade in very weak Slovak/Czech leagues.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Would pretty much everyone in the country who knows a jot about football not agree that Hunt and Reid would have been better decisions then Gibson and Douglas? .

Steven Reid? He is injured and wont be fit for another few months iirc.

I agree about Douglas though, as said utterly bizarre descision unless Shane Long was unfit. Doyle didnt need to come off, he was still full of energy. McGeady should have been replaced within the 20th minute, his DIY bollix cost us some chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Hunt is one of the best players in the world at getting on that ball and taking it away to the corner flag and just pissing off the opposition team, im still shaking my head that Douglas was in the squad let alone given the chacne to eff it up for us.

Doyle would have kept on fighting and what is Daryl Murphy?

also he meant Andy Reid not Stephen, Shane 86.

shane86 wrote:
    He means Andy Reid, who has been playing some fantastic football as of late for Charlton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

shane86 wrote:
    Edit that before you cause yourself any further embarrassment.

**** off :D

I thought he was talking about bringing on S Reid as a sub.

Ive had a few, as you can imagine :(

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote:

If thats the case then they should be screaming about their manager too because they looked awful tonight, and awful in the first game against us. maybe they are a much better team then that and should be playing at a much higher level, but out there they looked worse then a very badly performing irish team.

If you have honestly seen our players (including very importantly the subs we didnt use) im sure you'll agree you see them play much better then they did tonight with the exception of Dunne, kilbane, Given and at times Doyle (who all played about their usual level). Maybe we should both be performing much better then we did, but i cant speak for Slovakia, i only know that our players playing as well as i've seen them play for their clubs on 10s and hundreds of occasions (depending on the teams they play for) would have destroyed tonights Slovakia, as well as tonights Ireland.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Edit that before you cause yourself any further embarrassment.

lol

Not sure who mentioned Doyle staying on but think Stan said he felt something tightening up so came off as a precaution. Could be wrong on that, I tend to mentally switch off when I hear that accent.

Collie D wrote:
    lol

Not sure who mentioned Doyle staying on but think Stan said he felt something tightening up so came off as a precaution. Could be wrong on that, I tend to mentally switch off when I hear that accent.

twas ireland felt the twinge i think. which was fair enough, cant be helped. The choice of player to replace him however had me shouting at the TV about Israel and making the same mistakes again. Im sure my poor mother who was reading a magazine thought id turned into a raving fundamentalist or something!

Anyone want to take some positives out of the game?

I thought Kilbane was actually very good tonight. Dunne looked more impressive than ever despite having 3 clowns playing with him tonight. If S. Ireland can be brought into the game, he's quality. If we give the ball to Keane or Doyle, they will produce some magic.

shane86 wrote:
    Ive had a few, as you can imagine :(
    Blonde moments?

agree Raskolnicov. Kilbane surprised me tonight, though i do have much more time for him on the wing then in the middle. Id prefer a cleverer player but he does what he does very well and will give everything for the shirt. Dunne was immense as was Given. Ireland as you said did well when given the ball. For this moment in his career i think he might be better utilised in a more wide position as (said by the RTE guys) he doesnt force himself into the game in the middle, while out wide generallly a player will be given the ball if they're in space whether they're shouting and roaring or not. Based on tonights performances and assuming Finnan doesnt reach fitness in time, and considering we need to win;

Given

O'Shea--McShane--Dunne--Kilbane

Ireland---Carlsey--A.Reid---Hunt

Doyle--Keane

• Advertisement

I thought Kilbane was actually very good tonight.
    When the game was over Kilbane looked like he was after doing a warm up for the Namibia match tomorrow.

I actually think he comes in for way too much criticism. Fair enough if we were a team like France or Brazil but for an Irish squad he definitely deserves a starting place.

Ah come on lads, someone was enquiring here only the other day as to why Duff wasnt playing. :)

Can anyone find a site that shows both fixtures and venues? Im looking at

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/fixturesresults/index.html

For the Czechs Ive been guessing a point against the Germans (or, even better, a loss) a point against the Slovaks (although they werent out in force tonight, acording to a workmate from Slovakia Czech v Slovak is always a well watched grudge match no matter what the sport so you could expect a hostile response/crowd wherever its played) and 3 against Cyprus, in Cyprus. However all depends on where they play Slovakia, if they play them in Slovakia the place will be packed out with hostile fans, even though they no longer have a chance.

After San Marino the Czechs are iirc 3 ahead of us (1 pt ahead tonight, we moved up one, they moved up 3, 3 pts far as im aware). If we can win Wed, we are level. We have a max of 9 points to gain. Even if we only gain 6 (either a loss to either Czech or the Germans) we could still snag it by a single point. Unbelieveable to think, but given the matches Ive thought about if we held on to our lead tonight we could nearly have run away with 2nd place, Czechs wouldnt have had a hope if we beat them Wednesday, even if we lost against the Germans (according to my drunken maths at least :) )
    BaZmO* wrote:
    Blonde moments?

If we hadnt drew Id be in the pub right now waffling to plenty of them given the look of the packed out crowd :D Just couldnt give a bollix afterwards, headed home to get locked on my own :(

shane86 wrote:
    acording to a workmate from Slovakia Czech v Slovak is always a well watched grudge match no matter what the sport so you could expect a hostile response/crowd wherever its played)
    Of course. What do you think happened to the former Czechoslovakia? They bleeding hate each other since the split although both of them seem to get on with the People's Republic of O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

you're optimistic thinking he's going to start Hunt. I don't think he's ever started hunt in a competitive match.

But his substitutions today we're a joke. I'm just glad we can stop hoping we are going to qualify now.

And before you start saying we can, if we're unable to be Slovakia we're not going to beat the Czechs or the Germans.

He should be sacked now and give a new manager so practice games in before the next world cup qualifiers.

Noelie wrote:
    And before you start saying we can, if we're unable to be Slovakia we're not going to beat the Czechs or the Germans.
    In fairness though I think we'd actually have a good chance against Ze Germans, what with it being a home game in front of 75K and on at an unusual time of 7:30 on a Saturday. But I'm doubtful for Wednesday.

• Advertisement

In the interview, Staunton sounded like he would be going to Prague with the intention of having to win the game. I hope that bears out in the team selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I can see where you're coming from but if we don't get a win on Wednesday, which I can't see us getting, it won't matter what we do against the germans we'll be out.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Of course. What do you think happened to the former Czechoslovakia? They bleeding hate each other since the split although both of them seem to get on with the People's Republic of O

Peoples rep of where now?

Both countries are huge into international ice hockey. Though soccer is the biggest sport in Czech, in Slovakia Soccer sort of has the same position as rugby has in Ireland, it has a hardcore following but its not the major sport. Ice hockey is the one they live breathe and die for. Despite that, a Czech v Slovakia match would bring out the fairweather Slovak fans in the same way the England V Ireland rugger in croker back in March had everyone claiming they knew rugger and followed it for years (not me mind, when it comes to rugby, ive tried but i just cant get excited about it :confused: )

re the subs, taking off the on fire Doyle for Douglas when he probably should have experimented with the defensive line up was insane. We can still take this group if we win in Prague. However its unlikely we will, and even if we do the Czechs will pretty much have to go exactly as my hopeful prediction showed. It is absoloutely devastating that, when looking at the group, we were 2.5 mins away from running away with 2nd place no matter if we won, , lost or drew in Prague.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Anto McC wrote:

Celtic jersies?

What sort of fool wears the jersey of a foreign club to a game involving Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I actually kinda hope we get whupped by the Czechs and the FAI finally comes to their senses and employ a manger with some tactical know how and EXPERIENCE! Doesnt have to be a great coach, just a bloody decent one. Unfortunately by the time Staunton is finished with us well struggle to get even a below average manager.

shane86 wrote:
    Peoples rep of where now?
    Just how many beers did you actually have Shane?

I actually kinda hope we get whupped by the Czechs and the FAI finally comes to their senses and employ a manger with some tactical know how and EXPERIENCE! Doesnt have to be a great coach, just a bloody decent one. Unfortunately by the time Staunton is finished with us well struggle to get even a below average manager.
    Stan ain't going anywhere, well certainly not before the next round of qualifiers anyway.

Is Bobby Robson giving any input at all anymore? I havent heard a word about him in ages.

As my mate correctly said just before the first Slovak goal, typical Ireland away match. Score one, get the hopes up, then the attack starts. Given is forced to make a good few saves (4 or 5 afair) before finally one gets past him. Not at all a disrspect to Shay, who I would rate as my no.1 in my years of following in terms of both skill and undented commitment, but i dunno, something about him tonight, he looked tired or not himself. I know he saved maybe 8 odd shots but still, something about him just didnt look his usual self. Saying that, he is what, 31? We have, god willing no career ending injury, 2 more tournaments to qualify fr if we dont make this. We are patiently waiting*

Anyway, im off to Prague on Wednesday, needless to say i wont be boarding the plane with the 3 foot wide smile i thought i would be going with until the 90th :(

*: speaking of patiently waiting and somewhat related, following some alcohol fuelled football waffle re qualifying and my trip to Prague, I learnt of the husband of a Polish work colleague at her leaving do last night that, despite their great teams of the 70s and reasonable teams ever since, they have never once qualified for a euro championship :confused:
    Unfortunately id guess ill be following Scotland next summer :( **** it tho lets see what we can do in Prague
    I actually kinda hope we get whupped by the Czechs and the FAI finally comes to their senses ...........

We have a slim chance, but a chance all the same.

If you own an Ireland jersey, scarf and/or posters, please take them outside and burn them. Because given the above attitude its probably the best thing for you to do.

We are ****ed but, as Pitt said in Snatch, not "proper ****ed". By Wednesday night we will know if we are proper ****ed or not.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Just how many beers did you actually have Shane?

About 6 pints and the bottles take me to 9 beers.

Seriously, i cant think of what yer on about :confused: Please enlighten (unless you mean they are in some mad consiracy with Oireland whereby they both agree to try and hold Ireland to one useless point in each match)

One thing that just hit me- if we dont beat the Czechs on Wednesday, the 90th minute Slovak goal is essentially what will have got their bitter enemies the Czechs into the tournament instead of us (Slovaks are out, and in fairness, the Cyrpus, Germany and Czech at home results didnt help but hey, if necessary ill annoy them with the mentioned fact regardless)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Devastating the manner of the result tbh. No one really believes we can beat the czechs. The worst is the invevitibility that 1 goal up Ireland will concede at the end of the game. Our away form is like a desease and we wont have the cure by Wednesday. Angry at Staunton for not having Hunt and Reid even come off the bench!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

shane86 wrote:
    About 6 pints and the bottles take me to 9 beers.

Seriously, i cant think of what yer on about :confused: Please enlighten (unless you mean they are in some mad consiracy with Oireland whereby they both agree to try and hold Ireland to one useless point in each match)

Czechoslovakia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

what a ****e day.

What sort of fool wears the jersey of a foreign club to a game involving Ireland?
    :rolleyes:

Not everyone can afford an Irish jersey. Therefore, many will wear the next best thing, something green, like a Celtic/GAA jersey, or even wear a plain green, made in Indonesia t-shirt like I did.

Not everyone can afford an Irish jersey. Therefore, many will wear the next best thing, something green, like a Celtic/GAA jersey, or even wear a plain green, made in Indonesia t-shirt like I did.

I don't support the IRA.

I don't support the IRA.

that statement has completely lost me..
    I have to admit i dont own an ireland jersey and would happily wear a celtic home jersey to an irish match (except i dont have any of those either) so i wear whatever i can find thats green to any of the irish matches i've been to in Landsdown or Turners Cross. Have even worn a Limerick jersey on one occasion (im from cork so thats low) but its all i could find that was clean at home. (bro went to UL and their segerson team got free limerick jerseys one year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zuutroy wrote:
    Ah well, it'll all be forgotten when Keano sticks 4 past Lehmann in a month.

Didnt think there was a Spurs - Arsenal game coming up.

:)

IS a Celtic jersey that much cheaper than an Ireland one?

~Rebel wrote:
    Have even worn a Limerick jersey on one occasion (im from cork so thats low) but its all i could find that was clean at home. (bro went to UL and their segerson team got free limerick jerseys one year)

Kudos. That is dedication. Shameful...but dedicated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I live in rural Portugal and just got back from a night out and checked the result now, was disappointed to see 2-2 and was sick to see the last minute goal.

I really despise this kinda sh1t though
    Celtic jersies?

A foreign team?
    They are the closest club side of an international caliber that have an Irish identity, being founded by people from these shores and even still that side of Glascow don't forget where they come from.

Would you rather have people going to these games with Man United Jerseys who have never even been to Manchester. At least they are identifying with a club side that has large Irish connotations.

Anyway sick sucker punch - I suppose it's in our history to get some of our own even further stabbing us in the back when we're down :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

luckylucky wrote:
    A foreign team?:

Yes, thats exactly what they are, no more.

Anyway thats a different discussion for a different thread.

luckylucky wrote:

Would you rather have people going to these games with Man United Jerseys who have never even been to Manchester. At least they are identifying with a club side that has large Irish connotaions.

I'd rather see people at Ireland games wearing Ireland jersies - or no football jersey at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I'd rather see people at Ireland games wearing Ireland jersies - or no football jersey at all.

Get the impression you and your ilk just like to get your moan in even when the circumstances are totally wrong for it.

I mean agreeing with this piece of sh1t of a statement
    Anto McC wrote:

what a fcuk wit. :mad:

Advertisement