Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia vs Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

luckylucky wrote:

what a fcuk wit. :mad:

Charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

~Rebel~ wrote:
    that statement has completely lost me..

Best to ignore him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Steven Staunton should never have been appointed manager.

The man who appointed him should go.

Delaney OUT.

Shameful performance once again by the national side.

McGeady was crap because he was nervous. I wonder will the usual suspect be along to trot out that old chestnut anytime soon?

Hunt, our best player by a country mile, not even coming on as a sub was brutal.

Andy Reid not getting a look in was brutal.

Full backs in reverse positions was just idiocy on the part of the management team.

McShane puts in one decent performance and everyone calls him the saviour of Irish football. He was to blame for the first goal. The Slovak player didn't even have to jump to get his header in. Joker.

Robbie Keane dropping deep and playing balls to where HE should be, take the captaincy off him and give it to Given. If Given doesn't get pissed off and retire. At least at Newcastle he's getting some kind of defence sorted now.

Jonathan Douglas plays in League 1. Enough said. There were at least two better players on the bench.

'Zinedine' :rolleyes: Kilbane needs to learn that his 'trick' works once in a match, then the full back knows what he's going to do every time after that.

What a goal by Doyle, his talent is wasted in this team.

The Czechs will murder them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

bizmark wrote:
    thats it i give up screw this team

You should have done so after the hammering from Cyrpus. It's not too late though, get behind the rugby squad and forget about them til Staunton is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

DesF wrote:

Delaney OUT.

McGeady was crap because he was nervous. I wonder will the usual suspect be along to trot out that old chestnut anytime soon?

Hunt, our best player by a country mile, not even coming on as a sub was brutal.

Full backs in reverse positions was just idiocy on the part of the management team.

McShane puts in one decent performance and everyone calls him the saviour of Irish football. He was to blame for the first goal. The Slovak player didn't even have to jump to get his header in. Joker.

Robbie Keane dropping deep and playing balls to where HE should be, take the captaincy off him and give it to Given. If Given doesn't get pissed off and retire. At least at Newcastle he's getting some kind of defence sorted now.

Jonathan Douglas plays in League 1. Enough said. There were at least two better players on the bench.

'Zinedine' :rolleyes: Kilbane needs to learn that his 'trick' works once in a match, then the full back knows what he's going to do every time after that.

I agree 100% esp. about McGeedy the guy never seems to do it when needed. I am hearing Celtic fans singing his praises but I have never seen him play well.

McShane his pace was shown up tonight too. God he is slow.

I fear for Irish football with tese people from the FAI. The fans at the end of the game should have also told the team what they were thinking. Not cheering on like idiots as if we did well to get a draw.

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote:
    I am hearing Celtic fans singing his praises but I have never seen him play well.
    Celtic fans will have you believe the Scottish league is decent.

It's shíte, end of.

McGeady looks decent playing there.

Liam Miller anyone?

DesF wrote:

Liam Miller anyone?

Who ? Sounds familiar actually dont answer that.

ciaran76 wrote:
    Who ? Sounds familiar actually dont answer that.

Only reason he's not in the squad at the moment is because he's from Cork. NOT because he's actually crap you know.

DesF wrote:
    Only reason he's not in the squad at the moment is because he's from Cork. NOT because he's actually crap you know.

I wouldn't call him crap...just not good enough would be more realistic I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Dosent matter if we beat the Czechs or not. We''ll find some way of ruining are chances again somwhere down the road.

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote:
    I wouldn't call him crap...just not good enough would be more realistic I think.

Anyone 'not good enough' to get into that Ireland squad IS crap.

DesF wrote:
    Anyone 'not good enough' to get into that Ireland squad IS crap.

See that depends on who is picking the squad. Which opens a new can of worms !

tdv wrote:
    Dosent matter if we beat the Czechs or not. We''ll find some way of ruining are chances again somwhere down the road.

Actually, come to think of it, they probably will beat the Czechs. Or get a 'creditable draw', which will once again save Stan's and Delaney's skin.

Here's a question lads. Now that qualification is out if the picture, would you like to see Ireland take an absolute hammering on Wednesday, so The Gyaffer and his boss are left with no option but to resign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

To be honest, Keane is just captain in name. The real captain of this team, the only player thats put in consistent and top class displays, is Richard Dunne. He's become the heartbeat of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DesF wrote:

Delaney OUT.

Nail. Placed on top of head. BOOM!! Hammer strikes home.

Yeah, we got stuffed by a goal in the 91st minute. Yeah, it's a draw away from home. Whatever, this just is not good enough.

**** Delaney. Stupid twat. I can't blame Staunton too much tbh. He was offered a really cool job and told by his prospective employer that they would get behind him if he accepted. I can't blame him for taking it. But from a HR perspective this kind of blatant incompetance should be punished.

McGeady was beyond awful. Again.

DesF wrote:
    Actually, come to think of it, they probably will beat the Czechs. Or get a 'creditable draw', which will once again save Stan's and Delaney's skin.

Here's a question lads. Now that qualification is out if the picture, would you like to see Ireland take an absolute hammering on Wednesday, so The Gyaffer and his boss are left with no option but to resign?

I would NOT like to see us hammered as thats just wrong but I think as a betting man Stan would/hope step down after a bad defeat to the Czechs so that he keeps what dignity some fans still have for the man.

DesF wrote:

Here's a question lads. Now that qualification is out if the picture, would you like to see Ireland take an absolute hammering on Wednesday, so The Gyaffer and
    his boss are left with no option but to resign?

Only when qualification is a mathimatical impossibility will I hope for the worst. We have a tiny chance, yet a chance nonetheless. No point quitting now.

LuckyLloyd wrote:

**** Delaney. Stupid twat.
    Couldn't have put it better.
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I can't blame Staunton too much tbh. He was offered a really cool job and told by his prospective employer that they would get behind him if he accepted. I can't blame him for taking it.
    Exactly. It's not really Stan's fault. It's the Fúcking Arsehole Incompetents.

The fact that the League Of Ireland is in the hands of these imbeciles gives me headaches.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    But from a HR perspective this kind of blatant incompetance should be punished.
    Aye, but the man to do the punishing is hardly liable to punish himself, now is he.

Delaney won't put himself on the dole.

Delaneys not the greatest CEO in the world, but I just hold my grudge against Stan, not him.

Why can everyone in the country bar Stan (the manager of our national football team) figure out that JOS was meant to start of the left, with Kelly on the right. Not the other way around.

Why did a man with over 100 caps can think that the way to hold on to our first meaningful away victory in 20 years is to send on a League 1 player and a teenager making his Ireland debut, while proven, exciting players like Andy Reid and Stephen Hunt warm the bench?

Why did he give the captaincy to a serious inconsistent striker whos made his name scoring goals against diobolical opposition in Lansdowne Road? Keane hasnt scored an away goal in a qualifier for 7 (SEVEN) years. Holland back in 2000 was the match. Dunne should be captain. End of.

And then add on top of that this little event called Cyprus 5 Ireland 2 and being 1 minute away from drawing against semi-pros from San Marino. We probably wont qualifiy, and then we can all hopefully look forward to a competent manager and forget these past 18 months.

deise59 wrote:
    Why did a man with over 100 caps can think...
    Because he isn't properly qualified and capable to properly fulfill the requirements of the job. Therefore, the ultimate blame lies with those who chose to employ him in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im always surprised how disappointed i can be at the performance of the irish team.
    i gotta keep believing that we will be better, and every time im let down. isnt it enough i support spurs without having to live with the disappointment of the national team as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anto McC wrote:
    8,500 clowns in Celtic jerseys with bodhráns and rubber hammers singing Olé olé olé, i'm f*cking delighted for every single f*cking one of you.

Do you feel the when the Dubs lose? All those Dub bandwagoners who if you asked them who played at Parnell Park, they'd tell you Rochdale. ;)
    luckylucky wrote:
    A foreign team?
    They are the closest club side of an international caliber that have an Irish identity, being founded by people from these shores and even still that side of Glascow don't forget where they come from.

Would you rather have people going to these games with Man United Jerseys who have never even been to Manchester. At least they are identifying with a club side that has large Irish connotations.

Anyway sick sucker punch - I suppose it's in our history to get some of our own even further stabbing us in the back when we're down :rolleyes:

Celtic=British=foreign.

Even NI fans don't go to their games wearing Rangers jerseys or having Rangers crests on their flags. It really is sad to see people abroard representing Ireland and looking like a Brit.
    I'd rather see people at Ireland games wearing Ireland jersies - or no football jersey at all.

Yep. And why will people say they can't afford an Ireland jersey, yet they can afford to make it abroad? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

+1 for hating Celtic jerseys at Ireland games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

-10 for the shambolic FAI

-10 for the ****e display from the Irish team

-10 for the people who just hate everything to do with Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Zebra3 wrote:
    It really is sad to see people abroard representing Ireland and looking like a Brit.

Really is up to the 'real' fans who frequent this board to show them the way

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'd rather see people at Ireland games wearing Ireland jersies - or no football jersey at all.

who cares what you would rather? if people make the effort to travel and support the team they can wear whatever the fuck they want to as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'll do some realistic totting up

Czech Republic 12/09/07 Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland 13/10/07 Germany

Germany 17/10/07 Czech Republic

Republic of Ireland 17/10/07 Cyprus

Czech Republic 17/11/07 Slovakia

Wales 17/11/07 Republic of Ireland

Cyprus 21/11/07 Czech Republic

With the remaining fixtures, it really makes last night result ever more heart breaking, 3 points and 1 point in Prague would have made qualification a very realistic ambition. As we stand, a draw against the Czechs which is the most likely outcome IMO would not write off our chances, but leave us hoping that the Czechs, 1) lose to Germany and 2) draw to either Cyprus or Slovakia. And then we have the easy task of having to beat the Germany, Welsh and Cypriots.

This pot is still open and a victory in Prague, however unlikely will put Ireland in pole position to finish 2nd.

Don't lose the faith yet lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

copacetic wrote:
    who cares what you would rather? if people make the effort to travel and support the team they can wear whatever the fuck they want to as far as I am concerned.

Agreed. Obviously an Ireland jersey is preferable but some people don't have them so making do wuth anything green is the next best thing.

As for NI fans wearing Rangers jerseys. Simple answer is they'd look a bit silly wearing blue at an NI game, wouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Don't lose the faith yet lads.
    Been stung by that one before.

Heartbreaking night, our inability to put games to bed never ceases to amaze me. The similarities between this and the Israel games are uncanny.

Neither Hunt nor Reid getting any time still bewilders me, as do so many other things that have already been said a million times in the thread.

About the Stan issue, I've stated a few times in the past, like the majority of people here that he should go, but no point saying it now because he'll obviously be here for the remainder of the qualifiers at least. We can only hope that there'll be some shake up at the end of them (ideally which would culminate in Delaney's departure as well, but I won't harbour any hope in that).

Roll on the World Cup :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The worst thing about Stan making mistakes is that he refuses to mend them, as he feels people will say "Should have done that in the first place".

Hunt and A.Reid HAVE to start against the Czechs if we want to win.

McGeady is a player i admire. He is energetic and attacking. But he is too young to be starting crunch games like that. I lost patience with him yesterday and when we took the lead Hunt should have come on. I think Aido is one for the future, he will mature and his final third will improve. It happens with every young winger, so everyone needs to chill.

Also those who "despise" Celtic jerseys being worn at Ireland games should get over themselves really. I wear my EIRCOM billboard to the games but at least they are at the match and they can wear anything they want, green and white is quite appropriate and a club founded by Irishmen for poor Irish families, Tis' a bleedin disgrace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DesF wrote:

Never. No matter how bizarre last nights descisions were (leaving the almost unoticeable Keane on instead of bringing on Long. And the only thing that made my jaw drop more than the 2nd Slovak goal was Doyle being replaced with Douglas). Ive stood up for him before but Im sick to my bollix of this, Long or Hunt could well have got a 3rd goal, especially if they were brought in fit and full of energy after 70 minutes. Defense was pretty poor, we really missed Finnan (will he be fit for Prague?). In truth if it wasnt Shay in goal Id reckon we might have went 5 down.

As Weathercheck said, holding the 3 last night and getting only 1 point in Prague would have likely had us coming 2nd by a comfortable margin. The Czechs are currently 3 ahead, if we can equal the points gap with a win we have a good chance of taking 9 points from the next games (even 7 would probably do).

Wales- win
    Cyprus- win
    Germany- unclear, however we have a chance of gaining a likely 7 points minimum

Post Ireland the Czechs are looking at an away game in Germany (loss or draw probably), Slovakia (unclear, and cant find out if its in Czech or Slovakia on google, but the Slovaks will be keen to dig into the auld enemy) and Cyprus away (controversially struggled to beat them at home following an all nighter with alot of drink and hookers apparently. The FAI needs to organise a champagne and hooer reception at their team hotel :) ). A czech disaster could result in maybe 5 points from these games. The bastard thing is that its possible both of us will level on 6 points from the post Prague matches, and the Czechs go through on goal difference. We should have destroyed San Marino, and unfortunately even at hom Cyprus wont be the type of team we are going to knock 5 against. An Irish loss in Prague puts the Czechs six clear. If we got all 9 points from the remaining matches, the Czechs would have to lose against the Germans and either lose or draw with the Slovaks and Cyprus. Even one victory at that stage would completely end our chances. Basically, if we lose Wednesday, we might as well pay more attention to Czech matches than our own, as its only a run of brutal form for them that would see us through.

Oh and finally, this Celtic thing, get over yourselves. Its the closest Ireland has to a team that poses any type of threat in European football. And lol at EL fans panning the SPL as ****e.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Ranked 10th best league in Europe on co-efficients. http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2007.html

How s***e does that make 35th ranked Eircom league then?? :)
    And therefore why should the FAI even contemplate calling up players from this s***e league??

I think we all know how ****e the EL is but the Scottish league is more or less 10th by default. Outside the English, Spanish, Italian, German and possibly French leagues it gets decidedly average. Then take into account that the Scottish league isnt in that decidedly average section, but below it with the "best of the rest".

I mean the Portugese are capable of a decent team doing well (Porto) and the Dutch have (had?) quality but outisde the top 5 leagues its pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Why do people still get upset when we do thing like draw with slovakia, we are not the team we once were, we are somewhere in between, a medeocare team and europes whipping boys, Irish fans seem to think we have a right to be in the top two of a group every time, most of whom are living in the glory days of 1990 were we got to the quater finals of the wc without winning a match.

In saying that I still wouldnt let stan manage a girls under 9 team never mind the national squad, I said it before and will say it again he ruined a great career and name he had with Irish soccer by taking this job.

Why are people doing calculations such as "If we beat the czechs, and draw with Germany..." We cant beat the 'lesser' nations in the group but yet we cling on the beating and drawing with the top two,

"If"(which I would bet my house we wont) we beat the czechs on Wednesday night, stan will come out with some bollox like we wanted 4 points from these 2 games. Yes we did but we expected the 3 points last night, so we are still down 2 points. Which could and probably will be the difference between us getting 2nd spot and not getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Another big let down by the boys in green. I suppose at this stage we should have come to expect it. The way the team sat back in the last 20 minutes (or so) was only inviting Slovakia to come and get a goal. Make no mistake, Slovakia were an average team, but we mustn't have been any better when we couldn't beat them, despite the fact that they constantly gave the ball away and with 8,000 irish in the stadium it should have felt like a home game for the players.

Anyone see the post-match intervuew between Stauntoon and Tony O'Donoghue?? O'Donoghue put the question to Stan "Why didn't Steven Hunt and Andy Reid come onto the pitch?" but staunton wouldn't answer saying "these things happen" etc. Its one thing to be beaten by a better team, but when the manager buries his head in the sand, and wont face up to the glaringly obvious, well the team is going to go nowhere IMO.

If we loose to the Czechs on Wednesday, are we out of qualification? With the looks on some of the players' faces after the match, it will be very difficult to motivate them for wednesday. Added to that the fact that the Czechs will know that there will be 6 points between us and them if they win - I am finding it difficult to see any sort of positive result for the irish on Wednesday....

dbnavan wrote:
    Why do people still get upset when we do thing like draw with slovakia, we are not the team we once were, we are somewhere in between, a medeocare team and europes whipping boys, Irish fans seem to think we have a right to be in the top two of a group every time, most of whom are living in the glory days of 1990 were we got to the quater finals of the wc without winning a match.

In saying that I still wouldnt let stan manage a girls under 9 team never mind the national squad, I said it before and will say it again he ruined a great career and name he had with Irish soccer by taking this job.
    1)We were playing Slovakia. It's all relative.

2)After the debacle of his management is brought to an end - Steve Staunton will still be an Irish footballing hero in my mind. What he did as a player can't be diminished - and he was a fcuking giant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dbnavan wrote:

Gah im getting tired of saying the same thing every time.That team out there last night did not play to its potential, or anywhere near it. We see those players (and very importantly the unused subs) play every week for their clubs playing much much better then they did last night (with the exception of Given, Dunne, Kilbane and Doyle who played to their usual standard).

When the day comes that we play to our potential, everyone does what they do for their clubs week in week out, and we still draw with a side that played terribly, then ill agree with you.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Do you feel the when the Dubs lose? All those Dub bandwagoners who if you asked them who played at Parnell Park, they'd tell you Rochdale. ;)

Celtic=British=foreign.

Even NI fans don't go to their games wearing Rangers jerseys or having Rangers crests on their flags. It really is sad to see people abroard representing Ireland and looking like a Brit.

Yep. And why will people say they can't afford an Ireland jersey, yet they can afford to make it abroad? :confused:
    You, and everyone else should stfu on this point btw. Whether people like it or not, Celtic are a football club with a strong Irish link and tradition. Numerous Irish people get on Ryanair and AerLingus flights to go over to Scotland and watch Celtic play each week. You may not like it, but if they want to wear a green and white jersey to an Irish game so be it. If they were wearing green Notre Dame American football jerseys or T - Shirts with a leprechaun on it that says "fighting Irish" that should be ok too. They have travelled over to the game to support the national side - they can wear whatever the fcuk they feel comfortable in because they are the fans putting their money where their mouth is.

When it turns to booing players because they have a link to Rangers it is bad. When it comes to inserting extra lines in the fields of Athenry it can be questioned. But the simple act of wearing a jersey is not a big deal IMO.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Ranked 10th best league in Europe on co-efficients. http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2007.html

How s***e does that make 35th ranked Eircom league then?? :)
    And therefore why should the FAI even contemplate calling up players from this s***e league??
    Eh what?

I haven't once in this thread said that eL players should be called up.

Here, tell me this, where is League One ranked in your list?
    shane86 wrote:
    and cant find out if its in Czech or Slovakia
    It's in Czech.
    shane86 wrote:
    Oh and finally, this Celtic thing, get over yourselves. Its the closest Ireland has to a team that poses any type of threat in European football
    This is just embarrassing at this stage.

Celtic are from Glasgow. Glasgow is in Scotland. 'Closest thing Ireland has'. Get a grip will you.
    shane86 wrote:
    And lol at EL fans panning the SPL as ****e.
    Bizarre. I never once claimed that the eL is full of world beaters, I have my opinion of Scottish football, and outside of The Old Firm, and Hearts' new money, it IS shíte.

Look mate, I know all about shíte football, I support a team in the eL1stDiv ffs. I'm an authority on brutal football.

Lads, Ireland won't beat the Czechs on Weds. It really is that simple.

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    I agree with you, calling it an average league is probably being kind TBH. But if DesF can criticise McGeady's selection because of the league he plays in (plays in CL as well BTW) then using his own standards nobody from the Eircom league should get a sniff of being in the Irish squad.
    Where the fúck did I say eL players should have been in that squad?

I didn't criticize McGeady's selection because he plays in Scotland. I criticized people saying McGeady is class because of the performances he puts in in the Scottish League.

For a young, exciting player playing in The Championship, who set League 1 on fire last season, I can't believe the so called 'experts' on here aren't calling for the inclusion of Wes Hoolahan in the Ireland squad. He was inspirational in Blackpool's promotion last season from League 1. But of course, he's tainted with too many years in the eL, isn't he?
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    You, and everyone else should stfu on this point btw. Whether people like it or not, Celtic are a football club with a strong Irish link and tradition. Numerous Irish people get on Ryanair and AerLingus flights to go over to Scotland and watch Celtic play each week.
    Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, London, Birmingham.

All in Britain. All as Irish as Aran Jumpers, Foster and Allen and a pint o' plain,

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Gah im getting tired of saying the same thing every time.That team out there last night did not play to its potential, or anywhere near it. We see those players (and very importantly the unused subs) play every week for their clubs playing much much better then they did last night (with the exception of Given, Dunne, Kilbane and Doyle who played to their usual standard).

When the day comes that we play to our potential, everyone does what they do for their clubs week in week out, and we still draw with a side that played terribly, then ill agree with you.

Well ok I agree that the team selection was wrong but if I was playing for my country and a top english team like the afore mentioned Mikey Mouse could manage the team for all I cared, I would have a job to do and I would do it, the is no passion or pride left in the Irish team, I will always remeber before Kevin Sheedy's goal in Italia the face of determination and grit on Pat Bonners face before lauching the kick out. You dont get that anymore, nobody to chase balls til they are impossible to reach, nobody to give players a bollocking cause they arent pulling their weight. If the ball doesnt land on half their toes they they wont chase it, the only person last night that showed any of that was Richard Dunne, who looked to be a pro in an amature league. But even he didnt rally the troops.

ziggy67 wrote:
    So i will ask you outright, should any Eircom league players be called up for the Ireland squad
    And I'll give you a straight answer. At this moment in time, no.
    ziggy67 wrote:
    Yes if you take away the top 25% of any league it will be s***e :rolleyes:
    So, without Manyoo, Chelsea, Pool, Arsenal and Spurs the Premierleague would be shíte?

Without Real, Barca, Valencia, and whoever else, La Liga would be shíte?

Hmmmm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Celtic jersies?

What sort of fool wears the jersey of a foreign club to a game involving Ireland?

Yeah, it's dreadful isn't it? Imagine as well, all those Irish lads who play for foreign clubs. Disgusting it is. No way should they let be play for Ireland. :rolleyes:

What are "jersies" anyway? I know what jerseys are, never come across those jersies though.

Apologies for going off-topic - I just think it's a shame that some idiotic Ireland "fans" are more obsessed with the choice of other fans clothing than the game itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dbnavan wrote:
    Well ok I agree that the team selection was wrong but if I was playing for my country and a top english team like the afore mentioned Mikey Mouse could manage the team for all I cared, I would have a job to do and I would do it, the is no passion or pride left in the Irish team, I will always remeber before Kevin Sheedy's goal in Italia the face of determination and grit on Pat Bonners face before lauching the kick out. You dont get that anymore, nobody to chase balls til they are impossible to reach, nobody to give players a bollocking cause they arent pulling their weight. If the ball doesnt land on half their toes they they wont chase it, the only person last night that showed any of that was Richard Dunne, who looked to be a pro in an amature league. But even he didnt rally the troops.

Oh i agree that something is very very wrong. It isn't the potential standard of the players though. Its pretty much everything else. Which is the frustrating thing since he have the players to be so so much better.

Those decisions last night still have my blood boiling though. Its just sheer stupidity. Situation; The team has nicked a goal to go back ahead, but we're still not performing well by any stretch. Lots of the players dont look to interested and as you said aren't chasing and harrying and taking the pressure off the backline. Surely this is the time to put on someone who'll get stuck in, show a bit of pride, take the game by the scruff of the neck and try and make something happen up the field rather then inviting them on us. Hunt gives everything when hes in an ireland jersey and is having his second impressive season in the premiership. but no, we put on Murphy and Douglas.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Surely this is the time to put on someone who'll get stuck in, show a bit of pride, take the game by the scruff of the neck and try and make something happen up the field rather then inviting them on us. Hunt gives everything when hes in an ireland jersey and is having his second impressive season in the premiership. but no, we put on Murphy and Douglas.

Couldnt agree more, I think Hunt and/or reid would have been the player to grab the game by the balls. Murphy and Douglas are but still fringe players imo and last night was not the night to use them.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Gah im getting tired of saying the same thing every time.That team out there last night did not play to its potential, or anywhere near it. .

Thats when you need a good manager to make the decisions to change the team and the game. Without a manager capable of that you get results like last night and against Isreal.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    You, and everyone else should stfu on this point btw. Whether people like it or not, Celtic are a football club with a strong Irish link and tradition. Numerous Irish people get on Ryanair and AerLingus flights to go over to Scotland and watch Celtic play each week. .

Everytime I go to Liverpool the plane is full of people go over to the match as well. Doesnt make Liverpool any closer to being Irish.

Plane and boatloads of people go over to watch Liverpool , Utd, Spurs etc every week, they are still English teams playing in an English league.

I've also noticed a large amount of Scandanavians and Spanish in the last few years at Anfield.

ziggy67 wrote:

Yes if you take away the top 25% of any league it will be s***e :rolleyes:

Compared to that top 25% it's not at the same level but the qualities stay the same when comparing the leagues. The 75% of the premiership that is the "sh1te" is a lot better than the 75% of the "sh1te! from the Scottish league. It's all relative.

• Advertisement
Advertisement