Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia vs Ireland

12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It's not that hard to make the connection.

I know a few people who are hardline republican sympathisers and support Celtic. The sort of people who are happy when some random English person dies in a car crash.

Then there was the guy with OMAGH 98 printed on the back of his Celtic jersey.

And the booing during the one minute's silence for the Omagh victims at a game in which Celtic were playing.

Then you have the Wolfe Tones whose fanbase at gigs consists of significant numbers of people chanting 'ooh aah up the IRA' while wearing Celtic jerseys. Also note that the Wolfe Tones have never, to the best of my knowledge, condemned the Shankill Road bombing, Enniskillen 1987, Omagh 1998 or Warrington 1993.

Obviously not all Celtic fans are IRA lovers but some of them are.

Hang on a minute, whether any of the above is true or not, you referred to Glasgow Celtic as the "sporting wing of the IRA". Don't try and worm out of it.

I certainly wouldn't support any organisation with a connection to terrorists. Glasgow Celtic FC has no links with any such organisation, regardless of your blinkered views of their fans. Celtic can do nothing about tossers who print stuff like "Omagh 98" on their shirts (I'd never even heard of that one until now).

If you honestly think Celtic is the "sporting wing of the IRA", you are a without doubt seriously deluded, and should probably seek some help. But I think more than likely you're just trolling as I don't think anyone could be so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

PauloMN wrote:
    But I think more than likely you're just trolling as I don't think anyone could be so stupid.
    Oh yeah some people could be ;)
    But I think you're right he's just trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Come on now, this is just juvenile stuff. Don't forget it was that Zebra guy who refers to Celtic as the sports wing of the IRA with BC as one of his fanboys. As I said, it is juvenile stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just to clarify my reference to Celtic as the "sporting wing of the IRA", I don't for one my minute think they are, but there are no shortage of gob****es going around in their gear who think they are. There has also been no shortage of pro-PIRA chanting amongst their supporters down the years, along with sectarian and racist behaviour. Not a club I like to see supporters of our national team being linked with as I wouldn't like to see Nazio or Chelsea stuff at our games either.

And there's no shortage of people wearing Celtic stuff at Ireland games that aren't green (away kits, polo shirts, etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Disappointing result, decent performance.

I believe Stan was at fault for it to be honest..

Notice when douglas (i think) came on as a sub almost in injury time, Stan was smiling away and patting whoever came off on the back..

As if to say job done, well done lads..

When you see that sort of attitude coming from your leader, ultimately it has to spread in some shape or form to some of the players..

And i think that's what happened last night. The played well in fairness, better than i thought they would, but perhaps that was just slovakia playing poorly?

That match was as good as a home match for Ireland.. HUGE support, outnumbering the home crowd.. it was the perfect opportunity for 3 points and a nice 'cushion' going into the czech republic.

Now it's win, win, win. Draw or lose in the remaining matches, and it's all over in reality. That means we need to win twice away from home.. when was the last time we did that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Zebra3 wrote:
    Just to clarify my reference to Celtic as the "sporting wing of the IRA", I don't for one my minute think they are, but there are no shortage of gob****es going around in their gear who think they are. There has also been no shortage of pro-PIRA chanting amongst their supporters down the years, along with sectarian and racist behaviour. Not a club I like to see supporters of our national team being linked with as I wouldn't like to see Nazio or Chelsea stuff at our games either.

And there's no shortage of people wearing Celtic stuff at Ireland games that aren't green (away kits, polo shirts, etc).

lol

I know a guy in Dublin who is big Shelbourne fan and he is the biggest racist I know. Can I describe Shelbourne footballl club as the racist club considering the proportion of Shelborne fans who are racist??? I think not as that would be just as juvenile as describing Celtic as the IRA club as you have done!! Get a grip on yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah God be with the days when the mods used to actually mod the football forum! IRA? Football matches? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

lol

I know a guy in Dublin who is big Shelbourne fan and he is the biggest racist I know. Can I describe Shelbourne footballl club as the racist club considering the proportion of Shelborne fans who are racist??? I think not as that would be just as juvenile as describing Celtic as the IRA club as you have done!! Get a grip on yourself

I think you need to reread my post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

PauloMN wrote:
    Hang on a minute, whether any of the above is true or not, you referred to Glasgow Celtic as the "sporting wing of the IRA". Don't try and worm out of it.

I didn't say that.
    Zebra3 did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

BaZmO* wrote:
    Ah God be with the days when the mods used to actually mod the football forum! IRA? Football matches? Am I missing something?

So, Bazmo (or anyone), what do you make of the situation we find ourselves in? Will we still see McGeady on the RW since Ireland is out? Will we see the famous Stan position changing and have Hunt RW with Kilbane LW and Reid center with carsley? Or the old, throw Kilbane into the center, "sur he runs an awful lot", with Reid right and Hunt left?

Kilbane deserves to stay in the team after his performance, but id move to to LB in place of Kelly who looked very dodgey, this leaves room for Hunt at LW. Reid and Carsley centre and then, due to a lack of options, McGeady right i guess..Murphy has been playing okish whenever i've seen him on the wing but even still, McGeady does have the look of someone who could pull something out, for all his headless corner running. He usually plays attacking LW for celtic doesn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I didn't say that.
    Zebra3 did.

My apologies, you didn't.
    Zebra3 wrote:
    Just to clarify my reference to Celtic as the "sporting wing of the IRA", I don't for one my minute think they are,

Why didn't you say that in your original post then? You just referred to them as "the sporting wing of the IRA" and this would look to anyone like you believe that to be the case. It would be like me posting something completely racist, then trying to defend myself by saying "ah well I don't actually think that but some folk do".

Edit: this thread has gone way off topic, and the folks who don't follow Celtic must be bored senseless. Apologies for that from me anyway, but it's hard not to reply when you see such rubbish being posted about the club and it's support. Let's keep the Celtic stuff in here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055022657&page=52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

smemon wrote:
    I believe Stan was at fault for it to be honest..

Notice when douglas (i think) came on as a sub almost in injury time, Stan was smiling away and patting whoever came off on the back..

As if to say job done, well done lads..

When you see that sort of attitude coming from your leader, ultimately it has to spread in some shape or form to some of the players..

My thoughts exactly, I was devestated when I saw Stan on the touchline as Doyle came off, the first thing that came to mind was Lothar Matthaus in Barcelona in 1999. I said it right then that we wouldn't win that game, we're just lucky we didn't suffer the same fate as Munich that night.

Advertisement