Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions about future planned upgrades

Options
  • 04-09-2007 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Build and have my home computer working fine. So now I'm thinking about improvements that I hope to make whenever I have spare cash. My first port of call is ram,

I have 2 gig, I'm running vista 64 so I have room for quiet a bit more, but firstly I want to double the ram I have. I want to buy faster ram, but will that cause a conflict with the slower ram I currently have?

Secondly the price drop in quad cores has raised my interest, but what is the pay off in upgrading from the duel core I currently have, I remember reading sometime ago that vista does not get full performance from quad cores, is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you put in any RAM that is faster than your current RAM it will clock down to the lowest (slowest) common denominator that all modules can handle.

As for quad core the OS itself is multi-threaded but the more important part is that you really need software that is multi-threaded to make the most of it. The OS can't make an application use all cores on the CPU the app itself must be written to do so & not many are outside of certain fields like video encoding, 3D renderer's etc.

Unless you have such applications you are better off waiting at least until the next revised versions of Intel's quad cores come out which is I think later this year or near the start of the next.

Advertisement