Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What day or night for training?

• 04-09-2007 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Ok might as well get the ball rolling. I'd imagine everyone's gonna have a day or 2 that they simply can't do but you can't please everyone so just pick a day and we'll see what the overall consensus is.

Obviously Mon/Tue is out cos they'll either be match night or else too close to match night.

Edit: Please leave a note saying which night you prefer and why, seems we're attracting some 'klingons' hijacking the poll.

So all things considered, I went for Sunday.

I want to train on.... 8 votes

Monday
    0% 0 votes
    Tuesday
    12% 1 vote
    Wednesday
    0% 0 votes
    Thursday
    0% 0 votes
    Friday
    25% 2 votes
    Saturday
    0% 0 votes
    Sunday
    62% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

I reckon weekend definitely. Voted sat but sun is also fine.

As for places, there's a place by me in ringsend called ESB sportsco that has 5 a side cages that are almost always available on the weekend. Very similar to what DCU have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

sat,as early as possible would suit me best..maybe even sunday morning to cure a hangover. perferrably on an open park or something,where we can do proper training,not just a 5 a side kick about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

perferrably on an open park or something,where we can do proper training,not just a 5 a side kick about.
    Agreed. Be nice to have a routine or three for corners, free kicks etc.
    The 5-a-side astro with the ping pong ball is a different ball game altogether to the 11-a-side we play, but if that's all we can do so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Sunday for me. Saturday doesn't suit me really. And a proper full size pitch is needed. Hard to do a proper warm up in a 5 a side cage, as well as free kicks/corners. You can play a 5 a side game on a full pitch by using cones but you the reverse doesn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, I think what we were doing early last season was decent.

Drills, sprints, shooting etc etc for a while, then a kick around at the end til everyone is tired.

It was in the Phoenix Park of a Saturday usually.

How about starting it this Saturday?

Now, I realise some of you lads are involved with other teams that play on a Sat/Sun. If this is the case, then fair enough. You're keeping fit and playing ball.

The training is about a few things.

1. Fitness
    2. Touch
    3. Keeping the team together.

• Advertisement

Personally, my sole obstacle for the Saturday vote is that it straight forward clashes with me udder team. That said, from around mid-october, maybe November, the games start getting called off (these days you could pour a litre of water on a pitch and they'll call it off) so I'll go with whatever the group consensus is and just work around it.

Saturdays are bad for me unless it's late in the afternoon. I'm going back to college this year and I can't get a job during the week so have to do a few grinds on a Saturday to get by.

I work out on my own time so I'm not too worried about my own fitness. but I'd like to get along to training to build up an understanding with some of the lads I don't know too well.

Also first touch and short passing are really important on some of the slick surfaces we play on so two touch games on a very small area with small goals might be an idea to improve everyone's touch.

Most important thing though is to work on setp pieces and corners. Some of the defending in this league is atrocious and set pieces are a great way to pick up easy goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Sunday morning around 11am or 12 would be good. I'm also okay with Saturday.

Training this Saturday is okay with me Des.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I'm in a similar position to sav with having games on the weekend with another team but my games can be on either a sat or a sunday so at worst ill have to miss out or arrive late to some of the sessions

Who the hell voted for Monday? What, we're gonna train before or straight after a league game? That's crazy enough to work.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote:
    Who the hell voted for Monday? What, we're gonna train before or straight after a league game? That's crazy enough to work.
    :D

Sav, it's a public message board. I'm sure some bounder, who has nothing to do with the team, in a fit of hilarity, voted for Monday.

Tut.

Lads, if you are voting will you leave a note here.

Just so we can weed out the idiots who are voting.

Cheers.

If you've already voted, let us know how you voted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I voted saturday.

Is it a good idea to train sunday if we potentially have a game the next day?

I voted sunday. good point by Q_Ball there that we could have training and matches on consecutive days. Of course if that was the case we could just do tactical/set pieces work so we're not tired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I think Thursday or Saturday would be best..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

I voted Saturday, because theres nothing worse than training on a Sunday after a hard night out on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I voted Sunday but am actually split 50-50 between Satuday and Sunday so either would do.

Mister Des how soon will a decision be made on this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

13 votes out of 20-something players. Above the 50% mark, poll closed :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement