Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spicy Potato Wedges

• 04-09-2007 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

just looking for decent ideas of what to include in a recipe for potato wedges...

I gather it's just a case of chopping up the potatoes (skinning them first if you're so inclined), coating them with whatever, and then throwing them in the oven for a while.

So what should I coat them with?

I was thinking I could just get some olive oil in a bowl and then crush up some garlic, chili flakes, some sort of herb...... mix it all up and coat the potatoes, and then maybe put some paprika on after?

What ye think? Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That sounds yummy, but if you don't boil them first for around 10 minutes they'll take ages to do in the oven and will be very hard on the outside.
    If you do boil them first they'll only take 20-30 minutes to roast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

1 Teaspoon of coriander seed, cumin seed, yellow mustard seed & fennel seed. Dry fry in a pan until aromatic. Bash in a pestle & mortar and scatter over par boiled spuds before roasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I use pepper, chilli powder or curry powder, salt, cornflour, garlic,. Par boil them and then dip then in the flour mix when wet, then dip in veg oil. I leave the skin on and have them upright on a baking tray- the pointy wedge pointing straight up, this way the only contact with the tray is the rounded area on the bottom so it doesnt tend to stick, also means they do not need turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Perforated pizza tray works great, crispy and not soggy also a very hot over as high as its goes is also a good ides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They worked out reasonably well in the end actually! I microwaved the potatoes for a couple of minutes before chopping them up. Then threw them on the frying pan... added some chilli flakes, butter, paprika, chorizo (must be added to every recipe :D), think that's it... possibly a herb of some sort! I woulda put some onions in too but we had none :( Just fried it all together for a while until the potatoes were well coated. Then just put it all into a bowl for a while until the oven was hot enough. Took out the wedges and put them into a hot dish with oil in it and 20 minutes later they were done! Bout 5 more minutes woulda made them perfectly crispy.

Overall pretty easy to do, so I'll mess around with the coating next time, cheers folks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

You don't need to pre-cook them if the oil and tin are hot when you add the potatoes. About 40 minutes should do it. They're lovely with onions, rosemary and big flakes of sea salt. And mayonnaise for dipping in, of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My favourite recipe.

I dont bother precooking them first.
    Chop about five largish spuds into wedges, then plonk into a big bowl, drizzle a little olive oil over them, add about a heaped teaspoon of hot paprika powder, teaspoon of rosemary, teaspoon of oregano,3 crushed cloves of garlic and a little salt, mix up well and then spread out on greaseproof paper on a baking tray.
    Pop into a preheated oven (220°C) and cook until browned (30- 40 mins)..for an extra indugance I sometimes grate some cheese on them once out of the oven..

Serve with beer and Rugby, feeds three sports fans.

Sinfully good!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement