Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shotguns - public roads

Options
  • 04-09-2007 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I've been following the recent exchanges on licence carrying and have a related question. I have land on both sides of a public road - it's certainly not a major road, in fact it's a very quiet back lane but it is certainly a public road. If I'm out looking for rabbits on my land then I need to exit my private lane go about 20 yards down the public road to get back into my own fields.

What's the drill for walking along that short stretch of public road? Should I put the gun in a slip? Should I unload it? Should I have my licence in my pocket ? I've never seen a member of the Garda on the road but on the other hand it is a cross-border road and from time to time the Guards drive around the area.

I must say that favourite spot for the bunnies to sit is actually on the road - but I guess I know the answer as to whether it's OK to shoot them or not!

George

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The 'cross border' bit of your particular situation may make things a little different, but around here the normal procedure for crossing/walking along the road is to unload the gun (in all cases) and carry it broken (if a SB/DB shotgun) over the arm/shoulder, or over the arm or slung on a shoulder for other types (rifles and other types of shotgun).
    Good idea to have the licence with you (see other thread), and don't be pointing it at anything other than the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

A quick point and something to remember don't discharge a firearm within 50 yrds of the center line of the road.......it's against the Law. Two fellas got done up our neck of the woods when they were observed taking a shot at a magpie out the window of a car. Someone rang the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

I thought it was 20m? In any case its a common sense answer... in the sticks walk down the road gun broken, no prob... although legal, its not a good idea to do this on Grafton St!!! No shoting from the road.. full stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

Also no shooting within 60 yards of a dwelling house.

:eek: wonder does that include ones own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm still trying to find where those rules about centrelines of roads. I mean, they're right there in UK law, but what Act are they under in Irish law?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

Thanks - all very helpful. Surely the rules about not shooting within x number of yards from a dwelling house etc can't apply to one's own house ? In my case - and lots of others I'm sure, the house is surrounded by one's own fields and is also a long way from any public road i.e. at the end of a half-mile "private" lane. Suppose you need to do a spot of rat control in and around the yard and outbuildings?

I note the comments about not shooting near the road etc - but it's very tempting when they are sitting sunning themselves on the roadside - it's almost as though they know they're safe(r) there!

George

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sparks wrote:
    I'm still trying to find where those rules about centrelines of roads. I mean, they're right there in UK law, but what Act are they under in Irish law?
    As far as I am aware there are no distances given in Irish law. It all comes under the reckless discharge of a weapon the distance is irrelevant, it's up to the guards to decide if it was a reckless discharge or not.
    You will hear many people quote many different distances but they are all talking shite. These distance have been passed on for years by word of mouth and come from when we used to be governed by English law.

Technically your right that law is english and goes back to the 18 Century when if you discharged a fire arm too near a road you could throw a rider from a horse. English law was our law pre 22 and not until the government of ireland act was enacted in parliment did we stop using english law. I do believe your right anything the guards will pursue you on will hing on reckless and danger to public safety

Same way as part of the law governing the use of explosives in ireland refers to 1875 and in 2007 is still enacted through ammendments. The law is funny.

However old if it is still on the statutes it can be used.............take heed

The fire arms act 1925 is still on the go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The fire arms act 1925 is still on the go..

As amended :D

It's a far cry from the little document it was in 1925.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

I remember being stuck in the usual traffic jam leading into Moate one evening when I noticed a lad strolling down the road with his shotgun under his arm. Broken of course. This would have been outside the town but with house all around. I remember thinking that if he did that in Dublin he would proabably be surrounded by the ERU by the time he got very far.

So was he acting illegally?

So was he acting illegally?
    Technically, a court would have to decide. Practically - well, you said it yourself, try doing that in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote:
    Technically, a court would have to decide. Practically - well, you said it yourself, try doing that in dublin.

I have done that in Dublin :D

Many years ago of course.

Carrying my new rifle (couldn't afford a slip) from Watts on the Quays to my car 100 yards away.

Recently carried an air rifle down the main street in Wicklow town as well.

There are many practical reasons why you may have to do what I have done. Definitely make sure you have your licence with you in such cases :D

Years ago I used to see many people walking the road outside my house with shotgun in hand. Now it is very rare. I think it's because society has become more nervous of guns and shooters don't want any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

When my brother was selling his rifle he was walkin down shop street to Duffy's in Galway with it (didn't have a slip so it was wrapped up in large army surplus bag but still obviously a scoped gun), came around the corner and who was there but a securicor van and about 7 or 8 FCA lads with Steyr's !!!! He didn't tempt fate and headed off down the first alley way he could find to get a way around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

spideog7 wrote:
    When my brother was selling his rifle he was walkin down shop street to Duffy's in Galway with it (didn't have a slip so it was wrapped up in large army surplus bag but still obviously a scoped gun), came around the corner and who was there but a securicor van and about 7 or 8 FCA lads with Steyr's !!!! He didn't tempt fate and headed off down the first alley way he could find to get a way around :D

Hmmm, considering the FCA don`t do CIT(Cash in transit) I`m going to have to say that your brothers a bull****ter.

rrpc wrote:
    There are many practical reasons why you may have to do what I have done.
    Yup, and they'd probably be accepted by the courts as the "good reason" mentioned in the '90 act; but you'd still have the hassle of going to the court if you ran into a garda before he'd had his morning coffee and was a bit on the peevish side.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

FCA, army Reserves, defence forces, Navy, Air Corp whatever you want to call them they are all the same in this country darling ;)

Allright you two, we have enough spats without getting the FCA, PDF, Naval and Aer Corps in a scrap with each other in here too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

just on a side intigrated reserves have done CIT's :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I think, as always, common sense goes a long way.
    (Should be compulsary test for shooters !!!)

Quiet rural road, close to home etc. no local is gonna even notice anyone walking with a rifle/shotgun. Unloaded, broken, carried safely as always.

Basic best practice is to have your cert with you, and I think we should all know not to shoot near roads/houses etc... no matter what the law does or doesnt say.

And I wont even start my rant about muppits shooting signposts...

NARGC run proficiency courses frequently. Looking at the CJA i'd say its only time. I for one think it is a good idea, it rules out the argument of nutters running around with guns.

At least we can argue well trained, keen sportsmen enjoying their sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

NARGC run proficiency courses frequently. Looking at the CJA i'd say its only time. I for one think it is a good idea, it rules out the argument of nutters running around with guns.

At least we can argue well trained, keen sportsmen enjoying their sport

Proficiency course won't stop the nutters running around

Sad to say your right

It's not possible to fail the Proficiency course.It's like the safe pass course, all you have to do is turn up.

Advertisement