Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Return Laws

Options
  • 04-09-2007 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

anyone have any idea what are the laws around returning a used car to a garage.

Its a 2004 Fiat Stilo that i bought about 5 months ago. I have a 12 month warranty from the garage. Car is breaking down continually and they are offering me a lesser car or a more expensive car for €1500 extra. I dont want either so I asked could they refund me and they said they can't cause its policy?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Any decent solicitor will know. You really need to consult one.

If car wasn't "fit for purpose" or of "merchantable quality" you are entitled to a refund. Their policy doesn't matter a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Henry Ford III, forever full of knowledge....

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

yep that's what I thought,i've said it to them several times now and they've just said no we won't give a refund cause it's company policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Speedway wrote:
    yep that's what I thought,i've said it to them several times now and they've just said no we won't give a refund cause it's company policy

Most companies use that line. However they've admitted its not suitable for its purpose as they've offered you a new car, just of lesser or more spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

"Company policy" means nothing. It's your rights under consumer law which is what is important. Seek legal advice on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It appears that the car is not fit for its purpose. They have admitted as much. Get their offer in writing. By law they are obliged to repair the car or offer a refund. they cannot make you take another car. "Company policy" cannot deprive you of your rights. When they confirm their offer in writing go to a solicitor and complain to the Office of Consumer Affairs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Speedway wrote:

Which is exactly why you should go legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Good luck getting a penny off an Irish Motor dealer, legal or no legal help.

Usually the cost of taking them to court outweighs the price of the car. And they know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

i got a full cash refund for my Fiat Brava today from the dealership i bought it from. Turns out it had been crashed before i got it and i wasnt told, and it had lots of issues with things breaking all the time. I took out AA membership because of this car. Anywho, long story short got my money back without having to resort to solicitors or SIMI or small claims court. Best of luck with you getting you money back, don't accept anything less.

Advertisement