Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended GPS for bikes.

• 04-09-2007 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get GPS for bike, any recommended make? what should I look out for, map versions etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Garmin Zumo 550 is recognised as the best for mo'bike use - waterproof, comes with everything you need. Bit pricey though...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Garmin Zumo 550 is recognised as the best for mo'bike use - waterproof, comes with everything you need. Bit pricey though...

'cptr
    It is pricey but you get what you pay for ie £380 STG + on ebay, I was also looking at the Garmin Quest, about half the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The Zumo rocks. Could not recommend it enough.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    The Zumo rocks. Could not recommend it enough.

MrP
    Is there much odds between the 500 and 550, presuming a later design, also I need it to be quick detachable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

the zumo is an excellent unit.
    difference between 500 and 550
    550 says street names, 500 doesnt
    550 is xm traffic compatible 500 isnt (makes no difference in ireland)
    550 has all europe maps, 500 is only uk and ireland only.

Its not a later design, they came out at the same time, but is just a cheaper alternative

• Advertisement

The Doktor wrote:
    the zumo is an excellent unit.
    difference between 500 and 550
    550 says street names, 500 doesnt
    550 is xm traffic compatible 500 isnt (makes no difference in ireland)
    550 has all europe maps, 500 is only uk and ireland only.

Its not a later design, they came out at the same time, but is just a cheaper alternative
    Can you get them in Ireland? I had bad experience buying stuff from Ebay with warrenties etc, I would pay the difference.

ye can, but u will pay dear! I couldnt point you in the direction of irish retailers.
    I got mine in www.blokesstuff.co.uk they were the best price (when carrige was taken into it at the time)

Im sure the other lads with em will name a few places where they got theirs for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Don't think the 500 comes with the stuff to put it in the car either. Could be wrong there. I got the 550 and it's great, highly recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I know a few lads who bought from http://www.gpsw.co.uk/ were happy enough

bushy... wrote:
    I know a few lads who bought from http://www.gpsw.co.uk/ were happy enough
    I came across them here for €667 from a crowd in sandyford, about €50 in the difference when you take postage etc. www.mysatnav.ie Ive seen other kits including the ear phones etc.

• Advertisement

I came across them here for €667 from a crowd in sandyford, about €50 in the difference when you take postage etc. www.mysatnav.ie Ive seen other kits including the ear phones etc.

the 550 is €581 at pixmania... probably get it cheper if you look around.

And papparazo is right, the 500 doesnt include the car mount.

The Doktor wrote:
    the 550 is €581 at pixmania... probably get it cheper if you look around.

And papparazo is right, the 500 doesnt include the car mount.
    I settled for the Zumo 550, mysatnav.ie in Sandyford, payed €50 over odds but got it "now" I also prefere to be able to shout over a counter than on a phone if It ever gives hassle. THe guy was telling me that moisture gets into the electronic pick up pins on the mounting plate and a few have been returned. Wasnt happy with u bracket supplied , so made up my own plate to hold unit. Thanks for help.

make sure you update the software on it from www.garmin.com to the latest.
    On the older versions it auto recalculates with out asking, and a few other things. Also newest version tells ya altitude ... cos thats very important!!:rolleyes:

The Doktor wrote:
    make sure you update the software on it from www.garmin.com to the latest.
    On the older versions it auto recalculates with out asking, and a few other things. Also newest version tells ya altitude ... cos thats very important!!:rolleyes:
    I was told to hold off regestering it until the latest map comes out, he said early in the new year. The altitude feature would be handy in a multi story carpark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You get a free update within 2 years, I wouldn't worry too much about registering early. First thing i did when i got mine, was install all the software, updated it all, and same with the actual GPS unit.

Paparazzo wrote:
    You get a free update within 2 years, I wouldn't worry too much about registering early. First thing i did when i got mine, was install all the software, updated it all, and same with the actual GPS unit.

free update within 2 years? cool... didnt know that. Think i should RTFM.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know this is too late for the op, but if you have axa insurance (car) and buy in halfords, they give a pretty significant discount. I think its 10%. Worth knowing about if your getting something expensive like gps.

Advertisement