Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs at the beach.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OK - we get the message by now. Always muzzle you dog and keep it on a lead .

Why does every thread on this board end up in controversy. :rolleyes:

Because its the internet, and as the cruel joke goes 'Arguing on the internet is like running in the special 0lympics, even if you win your still a fvcking retard'.

Talking about walking on the beach. Our usual walk is Portmarnock most mornings, but this morning we took Jericho to Dollymount beach for a change, jeeze we couldn't believe how filthy that place was.

As Jericho is just 14 weeks old we usually let him run free for a few minutes, so you can imagine our horror when he returned with a plastic bottle full of syringes!. Then there's the dog sh*t everywhere too.

So its back to Portmarnock for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

iguana wrote:
    Ireland is actually a very dog-unfriendly country. It's almost impossible to rent with dogs, you can't take them on public transport and more and more you can't exercise them. I have to wonder if these problems play a part in the amount of unwanted dogs in the country.

I'll correct you there iguana. Ireland is not a very dog-unfriendly country. It's a very animal-unfriendly country in general. From my travels around the country, the problem is particularly noticeable in non-urban areas most where there seems to be absolutely no respect at all for the countryside and everything that comes with it, particularly animals. If you look over the water to the UK, people are proud of their countryside and it's beautifully maintained. And by extension, animals seem better treated in general as well.

I think there are several problems that are inter-related and all just connect up. I was appalled at the recent Dublin county council legislation regarding "dangerous" dog breeds and how blase and cavalier they were in putting this up, and staggered by their blind arrogance at the outcry.

It makes my blood boil reading about the mistreatment of animals in the papers and how badly funded and over-subscribed all of the shelters and pounds are. These poor creatures deserve so much better than this. If anything, we should be throwing the former owners in instead. I'm against euthanising animals for convenience, but I have no such restraint for former owners.

Anyway, rant over and I shall apologise for preaching to the choir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

thats just it mate, we seriously looked at whether we could exercie her properly before taking her in. it's why we didnt get a border collie. does anyone know if the ban can apply to church areas and waterways ireland areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hi Alexdenby6,
    "Church areas" are technically private property, so you would need permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

iguana wrote:
    Ireland is actually a very dog-unfriendly country. It's almost impossible to rent with dogs, you can't take them on public transport and more and more you can't exercise them. I have to wonder if these problems play a part in the amount of unwanted dogs in the country.

I agree with you here, we found it almost impossible to find somewhere to rent when we were moving back to Ireland from Uk because of our dog, we eventually found somewhere and what do I find when we move in ? ...almost every house around us has a dog and they all wander around the estate off lead , dogs of all shapes and sizes off on their daily strolls sans owners, and what happens if I leave my garden with my Whippet x Manchester Terrier ...(ahemm ...Long legged staffie) .... I get told she has to be on a lead and muzzled !

Instead of making a whole fuss about banning certain breeds from Council Houses in Dublin they should maybe consider something like introducing a system whereby you can only keep a certain sized breed according to the size of your house and Garden, which in turn would probably mean less Big dogs that need muzzles etc living in densely populated areas.

• Advertisement

right then i'm ok because its open to the public, but private property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Adesina

JarOfFlies wrote:
    There's no such thing as a "dangerous" dog ;) Only bad owners.

I've had my Staffie for years and I never muzzle her ever. They have bad enough reputations as it is, but muzzling her would make people think she's prone to biting or something.

I completely agree, I have two GSD's and though they are classed as 'dangerous' they are two of the friendliest dogs you could find anywhere ('cause I'm not biased at all:rolleyes::D). Neither are muzzled, are only let of the lead on the beach when there are few people and no dogs around and have excellent recall. It's ridiculous that some breeds are given a bad name because of irresponsible owners.

Adesina wrote:
    I completely agree, I have two GSD's...Neither are muzzled, are only let of the lead on the beach when there are few people and no dogs around... It's ridiculous that some breeds are given a bad name because of irresponsible owners.
    If the law requires certain breeds be leashed and muzzled then you are one of those "iresponsible owners" if you disregard the law and parade your dogs without muzzles and let them loose on the beach. Even "few people" about is not acceptable, as many people have a fear of dogs and are entitled to be on the beach without the worry of loose dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

If the law requires certain breeds be leashed and muzzled then you are one of those "iresponsible owners" if you disregard the law and parade your dogs without muzzles and let them loose on the beach. Even "few people" about is not acceptable, as many people have a fear of dogs and are entitled to be on the beach without the worry of loose dogs.

I think you are missing the point.

I also think that most of your posts on this thread are goading for a reaction.

Do you have a dog?

Thalia,
    You could not be more wrong! I am most certainly not "goading for a reaction". I am simply expressing my opinion - which I believe this board entitles me to do. I do have dogs (big and small) and I believe in responsible dog ownership, with respect for the feelings and opinions of those who do not appreciate the joy of dogs.
    The point made in the comment I quoted was that he let his GSD loose on a beach despite the regulations set down and with no reagrd for the public in the area.
    While you are equally entitled to your opinion on what I wrote, I don't appreciate you personalising the debate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Thalia,
    You could not be more wrong! I am most certainly not "goading for a reaction". I am simply expressing my opinion - which I believe this board entitles me to do. I do have dogs (big and small) and I believe in responsible dog ownership, with respect for the feelings and opinions of those who do not appreciate the joy of dogs.
    The point made in the comment I quoted was that he let his GSD loose on a beach despite the regulations set down and with no reagrd for the public in the area.
    While you are equally entitled to your opinion on what I wrote, I don't appreciate you personalising the debate!

Well that's fair enough, I stand corrected so.
    I don't think anyone here is trying to advocate being irresponsible, I think the point is really that while the law is there many people feel it to be unfair given the temperament of their pets.
    I don't know if you own one of the 'dangerous breeds' or not but it is quite difficult not to be able to let them off to enjoy themselves on the beach but such is our choice for having them I suppose. I find it particularly hard when people who I would consider to be irresponsible let their badly behaved 'non dangerous' dogs do whatever the hell they please off the lead and they are techincally allowed to do this because their pet doesn't fall under the 'dangerous' banner. I own a GSD and I get this quite a lot when she is on her lead she is pestered by those that aren't leashed, who won't come when called and who insist on pestering my dog......yet per the law I am the owner with a 'dangerous dog'.
    I don't really feel I'm personalising the debate, that's the nature of the internet my friend. You put up an opinion then you open yourself up to responses on that opinion.

I agree that people should be able to go to the beach without the fear of dogs if they are afraid of them, that is why we go far down the beach where it is mainly, if not only, people with dogs before we take the lead off, at times when the beach is usually mainly empty. Our dogs stay close to us at all times unless they are chasing a ball out into the water and if people without dogs or people with leashed dogs come near we put the leash on ours. You may feel that that makes me an irresponsible owner and you're entitled to your opinion but in my opinion it is the owners with 'non-dangerous' dogs that, when off the leash, bother/chase other dogs, won't come back when called and are generally extremely badly behaved that are irresponsible.

thank you adesina.

You're welcome :)

Advertisement