Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Parking in Housing Estate?

Options
  • 04-09-2007 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,
    I don't know if I'm posting this on the right board?
    Does anyone know of any laws against long commercial vehicles parking in housing estates? We have a problem on our street where a new family have moved in with four cars and one of them is a long stretch limo. Our problem is with parking availablilty. The limo is parked outside their house and the neighbours (Taking two parking spaces) One car is in the drive, the other outside another neighbours. It makes it extremely tight for two neighbours to get in and out of their own driveways and if any of us have visitors there's nowhere to park.
    We plan to go to our residence board but I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and how did you deal with it?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You'll get more helpful replies here.

I too would be interested in knowing the status of this. I've seen everything from Hi-Aces to full-height lorries to Artic cabs parked on our estate (standard width residential roads), blocking the view, large sections of parking and a number of junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

For heavy vehicles, you can request the local authority to pass a motion to limit capacity of the roads. Many residential estates do this, and get a 3 ton limit applied. So, trucks and such can't park or drive through.

For a limo, well, that's a different issue. It's down to the residents I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

seamus wrote:
    You'll get more helpful replies here.

I too would be interested in knowing the status of this. I've seen everything from Hi-Aces to full-height lorries to Artic cabs parked on our estate (standard width residential roads), blocking the view, large sections of parking and a number of junctions.

Thanks Seamus, I was unsure where to place this query!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

If people are parking on a public road they are not doing anything wrong per se. It may be that they are breaching the laws against parking- causing an obstruction, blocking an exit etc. In this situation call the guards. Otherwise the only thing neighbours can do in this situation is to ask that a disc parking scheme be brought in. The disc scheme can be limited to two residents permits per house

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jo King wrote:
    The disc scheme can be limited to two residents permits per house
    One problem: they may list the limo on one of those two permits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

On street parking as in the OPs situation is a common problem
    in most parts of Dublin - especially where one house on a road
    has more than one or two cars. Unfortunately as long as the
    cars are taxed there is nothing you can do about it. The space
    outside your house is not 'yours', anyone can park there.
    As long as the cars are not blocking an entrance or likely to
    cause an accident due yo dangerous parking the owners are
    technically doing nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I can't see a solution to this, unless they are causing a hazard or are obstructing entrances.
    Jo King wrote:
    The disc scheme can be limited to two residents permits per house
    These can vary between one per household and four per household, but usually only one per person.

Potentially, the scheme states that a car must fit within a single space - about 5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Contact your local council and see what they can do. But saying that there is supposed to be a ban on over 3.5t parking in South Dublin and they are parked everywhere.

If you have a management company in the estate they may have rules regarding parking, a few clamps on the limo and they'd soon move it.

Only other solution may be to park all your cars in such a way that a limo can't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I don't think it'd be the nicest thing to just call the gardai or to start clamping your new neighbours. It doesn't even sound like anyone has mentioned it to them. You say it's tight for 2 neighbours to get to their drive, but still possible. If you mention it to them, they might be happy to park the limo a little further up the road and when you say there's no room for visitors to park, do you mean outside your houses or in the whole estate or close by and they are forced to use pay parking or would they just have to walk a little extra?

cormie wrote:
    I don't think it'd be the nicest thing to just call the gardai or to start clamping your new neighbours. It doesn't even sound like anyone has mentioned it to them. You say it's tight for 2 neighbours to get to their drive, but still possible. If you mention it to them, they might be happy to park the limo a little further up the road and when you say there's no room for visitors to park, do you mean outside your houses or in the whole estate or close by and they are forced to use pay parking or would they just have to walk a little extra?

We live in a cul de sac so the parking is tight for everyone and especaily if there are any extra cars. ( Like in most housing estates now!) The frustrating thing is, the limo never moves! It was bought as a new venture over two months ago, but he doesn't seem to be doing any business with it!
    Thanks for all your responses, I'm going to try and get two other neighbours and go and approach a member of the residence association and see if anything can be done. I'm hoping there is some rule about vehicles over a certain length parking in the estate??( I'm sure their isn't )
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

its unusual to leave a limo parked on public road long term as you risk it getting scratched/damaged/stolen by teens/drunks/scumbags etc. Talk to them if its a prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just be careful about confronting your neighbour if its a stretch Hummer - I'm saying no more...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

racram wrote:
    We live in a cul de sac so the parking is tight for everyone and especaily if there are any extra cars. ( Like in most housing estates now!) The frustrating thing is, the limo never moves! It was bought as a new venture over two months ago, but he doesn't seem to be doing any business with it!
    Thanks for all your responses, I'm going to try and get two other neighbours and go and approach a member of the residence association and see if anything can be done. I'm hoping there is some rule about vehicles over a certain length parking in the estate??( I'm sure their isn't )
    Thanks again.

Have you asked the owner about it yet even?

Just an update....The limo was moved over two weeks ago! I don't know if anyone complained to them or were they approached by anyone on the residence commitee but it's great to see it gone and the road's not as congested anymore!:D

Advertisement