Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mtb trail map for around howth

Options
  • 04-09-2007 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hello all,
    does anyone here go mountain biking in howth and if so do you have any online maps marked with trails.
    thanks for any help that can be given

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

to be honest, you really don't need a map as Howth is quite small and very easy to find your way around. There are two main areas for MTB.

1. The cliff area (this stretches from the Martello Tower on the Sutton/Dub Bay side past the Bailey lighthouse and over to near the village. You can also access it from the car park up behind the Summit Pub)
    2. The back of Deer Park Golf Course (this also brings you over as far as Howth Golf Club on the Dub bay side and up to the higher points of Howth where you get some nice 360 views)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

hows the ging lads,

I am fairly familiar with the loop around the Car Park but have never seen the route behind Deer Park how do you access it ??? , thats interesting as I did not know it was there.

Thanks in advance

Kevin...

there are numerous entry points.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.383546,-6.068466&spn=0.008818,0.020084&z=16&om=1
    you can get in from the end of Balkhill Park

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.373421,-6.063917&spn=0.00882,0.020084&z=16&om=1
    There are also various points along Windgate Road

cheers for those links ,

Was up there over the weekend , its pretty sweet when you combine the two together , the problem was before the cliff loop was too short not any more though.

If anyone wants to meet up for a spin , I'm game.

Kevin...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Hi Lads,

I'm a relatively novice MTB'er and regularly go up around Howth, usually around the summit pub car park and then either back around to sutton or else around to the village.
    I'm just wondering how I could combine the runs mentioned above? ie Where do I need to go as I'm not too familier with the roads names etc.

Cheers

• Advertisement

The best way is to get up there and explore it for yourself. Use the information I gave earlier and pretty soon you will know all the trails. The two links I gave show entrance to more trails. Have fun :)

hows the going rainyface,

There are two main trails , on the summit side and across the road at the aerials side .

Here is what I usually do.

from the summit take the higher trail and down towards the village. this is the fast and flowy bit off trail ( i am sure you know it ) down as far as the car park.
    from here I sometimes take the road back to the summit pub. or depending on human traffic take the cliff trail back to the summit pub.

Then I take the trail down the lighthouse again fast and flowy , from here I take the trail around the back off the houses ( not sure if you know this bit if not let me know) and that bring me out on the road half way down the hill on the sutton side.

From there I take the road back to the summit pub but this time instead off heading to the summit car park I hard across the road to the trails around the
    aerials, these are good craic and have the added advantage of much less human traffic . There are alot of different paths to take here and everyone has there own preference.

I ll be up there tomorrow about 12.00 if you want me to show you my route...

Kevin

Cheers for the replies, not sure if I can make it tomorrow.
    I definitly know th summit car park trails, down the steep steps bit and then left along the cliff walk around the head and down into Balscadden car park into the village, I also know the one if you take a right after the steps toward the lighthouse (fast section) down to the light house, up the road to the gates marked private property. From here I normally take a left back out onto the trails around to sutton.
    I'll not sure where the back roads at the houses - I'll have to check these out. I always wanted to do some trails around the masts but could never figure out how to get up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Rainyface wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies, not sure if I can make it tomorrow.
    I definitly know th summit car park trails, down the steep steps bit and then left along the cliff walk around the head and down into Balscadden car park into the village, I also know the one if you take a right after the steps toward the lighthouse (fast section) down to the light house, up the road to the gates marked private property. From here I normally take a left back out onto the trails around to sutton.
    I'll not sure where the back roads at the houses - I'll have to check these out. I always wanted to do some trails around the masts but could never figure out how to get up there!

Just a warning about that route. It is very narrow/overgrown at parts. I remember getting hopelessly lost up that way once.

Chaps,
    I found this at home. Green are main trails, light blue are secondary and red are step trails. It is a photo of an A3 sized map which I have. If you could do with more detailed pictures, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

P

• Advertisement

Thats a great map. Where did you get that? I could do with one of them!

Rainyface wrote: »
    Thats a great map. Where did you get that? I could do with one of them!

No idea, found it lying around the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MartiW

I live in Sutton at the foot of the hill. Attache is a route I take regularly.
    Starting from the Sutton side.
    Quite steep in places and runs to about 20km.
    The yellow line is it the cliff walk people have mentioned. VERY dangerous, don't recommend this to anyone!!!!!! Unless you're Hans Rey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

:D

That route (cliff walk) is a piece of cake. The main hazard is the walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

MartiW wrote: »
    I live in Sutton at the foot of the hill. Attache is a route I take regularly.
    Starting from the Sutton side.
    Quite steep in places and runs to about 20km.
    The yellow line is it the cliff walk people have mentioned. VERY dangerous, don't recommend this to anyone!!!!!! Unless you're Hans Rey!

What do you find dangerous about it? not being smart, its just I find it grand, and my girlfriend finds it ok(and she is a right girl).

The only problem is in short sleeves and shorts, you will be ripped apart!

kona wrote: »
    What do you find dangerous about it?

Probably the whole cycling off the edge of the cliff part!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Raam wrote: »

you would want to be fairly sketchy on a bike to achieve that feat :D

The only tricky part is when you come to those bollards, of course you could just get off if your not sure.

you would want to be fairly sketchy on a bike to achieve that feat :D

The only tricky part is when you come to those bollards, of course you could just get off if your not sure.

A few years back I was out on the MTB along there and I heard some lady exclaim "people cycle along here! Oh my god!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Raam wrote: »
    Wear a helmet.

Wear a helmet.

and a parachute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Cliff ride is piece of cake, train on it on my cross bike all the time.

I've a 28km loop up in Howth if anyone wants a guided tour i'd be up for it, get a group out. Lots of stuff people dont know about it up behind the masts and down in the valley. Potential NPS race...but i didn't say that....cause its still in progress.

I'll probably be heading out for a spin on friday after work if anyone is up for a blast.

billy the WORCie

billy.fish wrote: »
    I'll probably be heading out for a spin on friday after work if anyone is up for a blast.
    what time?

Depends if i can get my rear wheel back or not! Say 6:30 at Sutton Cross?

Provisionally I'm in, I'll PM on friday to confirm. I may have a buddy with me.

FRIENDS!! How dare you have friends....

Score. Let me know!

up to my proverbial in work today so not going to make it out to bike later. Bloody gorgeous weather too.

billy.fish wrote: »
    up to my proverbial in work today so not going to make it out to bike later. Bloody gorgeous weather too.
    same here, I wouldn't make it to howth from newbridge on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

What do you find dangerous about it? not being smart, its just I find it grand, and my girlfriend finds it ok(and she is a right girl).

The only problem is in short sleeves and shorts, you will be ripped apart!

Am I reading correctly - you've a girlfriend!!

She must have been very bold in her previous life?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MartiW

It's a piss easy ride and not at all challenging, No climbs. Just dangerous and not worth the effort. I much prefer uphill on the east hill of Howth from the harbour side.

• Advertisement

MartiW wrote: »
    It's a piss easy ride and not at all challenging, No climbs. Just dangerous and not worth the effort. I much prefer uphill on the east hill of Howth from the harbour side.

Not at all challenging...fair enough. Obviously you've not ridden half the trails up there so. There is a lot more than just the lower cliff path.

But on a scale of 1-10 that hill you speak of is about a 4 in itself. Not long, not steep, and not hard. If you want some hills go to Wicklow, in the same way if you want trails that are longer and harder go to Wicklow. Now if you want trails that are nearly always clear, 5mins from my house with tea, double up as great interval training loops and with a mixture or rock/roots/mud/grass/everything on the northside. Go to Howth.

But horses for courses. If you dont go, it just means less traffic for me. I probably wont miss the 9million inches of travel you deem necessary to lug about.

And its not dangerous. If you cant stick to a foot wide trail and not fall off go back to riding fireroads.

*sorry i'm in a hungover/condescending mood*

Advertisement