Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mtb trail map for around howth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MartiW

I can take hills easy. I have the thighs. For that reason I take howth hill twice a night Mon-Thurs. I have a life outside of those days.

The cliff is bravado and exhibitionist. Old ladies walk it.

I know Howth better than you ever will. I live here and cycled every metre. I've stopped for picnics in places you've only seen pictures of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Interesting, maybe we should have a Howth off. I'm actually from there as well, and have lived in this area all my lovely 28 years. Mountain biking and hill running for over 16 of them.

But im sure that means nowt.

I'm heading out for a ride now infact so, if you want to come show me places ive never seen let me know. However i don't tend to swing that way.

Later troll, im off to run up a hill wearing a perfectly good bike, and i wont be stopping for a picnic

I'll be the lad on the cyclocross bike BTW, red Planet X uncle John Cross, in Team WORC (Wicklow Off Road Club) kit.

Also PM'ing people to abuse them...not so smart.

I'm sure your Giant is fantastic. I like my bikes two, but i don't feel the need to try and show off with my 'bikes' i am more than happy with them.

Anyway, im off riding, i'll be in the quarry and valley for the next hour practicing for 3 Peaks race in two weeks.

PM's from MartiW:

**** bike...
    I'm sure.
    Beat a E3000 Giant

Hey

What do you ride and when.. I'll look out for you.
    I'll chat with your BF while you catch up

• Advertisement

Oh Mods:
    Feel free to impose whatever to me for being a git, but i dont like private abusive pm's. I can send screenshots if you want.

Back to riding anyway

Great ride up in Howth today, black berrys are in full fruity bloom. Tasty. Nice 2 hour spin on the cyclocross bike, sweating like a little doggie.

God i love dusty trails!

Did you pop out MartyW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dave McGinn

Hi Im from howth, i go up a couple times a week. There are spots for everything, if you want an easy cross country, from the martello tower at Sutton dinghy club to balscaden car park, if you want something more aggressive there are some options, start points are 1, wind gate road, near windgate rise, there is a farm gate, go up ther go left and then streight, after 10min you will come to a steep trail, when you get to the bottom there is a bit of an incline, go up,streight between the golf courses, twards deerpark hotel, there is a tree trunk i built a little jump to get over it, but it was gone in 2 days. its about 1.5 foot. if you jump it be careful at the next bend.(dont ride this one when it is wet, it gets destroyed at the moment the first half is ok. 2, at the top of Barron road on old Somalia village, there is a access point to the top of the south mountian, at the top you can ether ride down twards the road or towards the golf club, if you go towards the golf club, go on to the fairway and follow the colored stones, it is a right of way, anyone is cross, it will bring you to the 1st trail.3, go to the high point car park behind the summit inn and go towards the light house.(Does anyone know any spots near the dart line)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Anyone got a Garmin map for these Howth trails?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think a Garmin map is overkill for up there. If you stand on the summit you can almost see all the trails.

• Advertisement

Probably, just being lazy and wanted a Garmin of a good loop there, been a few years since i've off-roaded around there, was a great trail where you had to skim along Howth golf course and then a good downhill through Howth Demesne..

One of my earlier posts in this thread has a picture of a map attached to it. Maybe that will help you.

Reckon ill go up there when the evenings get brighter and map out a garmin route to post up here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Anyone got a Garmin map for these Howth trails?

I was abandoned as a baby on the slopes of Howth Head, the wind howling and the lightning flashing. I was raised by seagulls and I lived off regurgitated fish and lost golf balls. I can pick my way through the gorse just by smell and I can navigate on the blackest of nights. My thighs are chiseled from Howth granite and I howl at the moon as me and my steed are silhouetted against the twilit sky. And you have the cheek to ask me about a Garmin?

;)

I'll have to mark you as a hazard on my Garmin map! castaway.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 paudidog

This is the map I go by

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

I have a feeling martiW has never ridden a bike in his life and has no idea where howth is.

No man could ever experience the beautiful wee trails of howth and then be do ignorant to its wonder!!

I love it up there, so handy having it on your doorstep. You could do some decent 2hr plus spins up there.

I do just want to add that caution should be exercised on cliff path- nothing to do with disappearing into Dublin bay but more to do with courtesy to walkers / runners etc. If we all use the area responsibly then it can be used, even raced on(dare I say it) some day.

Groups are working hard at talking with howth walkers group to aid this.

Leave no trace, say hello, don't scare the poop out of people & pull in / stop for people. Cliff path is best ridden early morning as from now on it will get heavier use by walkers seeing as weather / light is improving!

Enjoy it. I ll see you all up there I'm sure.

I like to try (unsuccessfully) to keep up with billyfish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

billy.fish wrote: »
    Not at all challenging...fair enough. Obviously you've not ridden half the trails up there so. There is a lot more than just the lower cliff path.

But on a scale of 1-10 that hill you speak of is about a 4 in itself. Not long, not steep, and not hard. If you want some hills go to Wicklow, in the same way if you want trails that are longer and harder go to Wicklow. Now if you want trails that are nearly always clear, 5mins from my house with tea, double up as great interval training loops and with a mixture or rock/roots/mud/grass/everything on the northside. Go to Howth.

But horses for courses. If you dont go, it just means less traffic for me. I probably wont miss the 9million inches of travel you deem necessary to lug about.

And its not dangerous. If you cant stick to a foot wide trail and not fall off go back to riding fireroads.

*sorry i'm in a hungover/condescending mood*

From what you ride regularly what do ya think the ratio of climbing to get to the start of a trail is to enjoying the trail ? Village to summit on a mountain bike is a biatch

Also , do you go from red rock all way around to the pier on lower cliff walk , I have just ran it ? Is there enough room with the overgrown , fair few bit you would need to carry the bike also ?

Might have a rip on it Saturday morning if its do-able in a spin

Maybe something like

Red Rock - Lighthouse , up to the Summit Car park , over windgate road to quarry down , up to the aerials and down towards the GAA pitch back to the summit and finish lower cliff walk...what am I missing ?

I'll be up in the quarry training from 4 today if anyone is about.

Starts and hill reps.

Practice for Leinster League next week.

More than welcome to come. Wont be waiting on the way up things, wouldn't expect you to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 neil.kennedy

Hi all i just moved out to Sutton and would like to tag along if anybody is doing this route? best way to learn it! cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

Hi all i just moved out to Sutton and would like to tag along if anybody is doing this route? best way to learn it! cheers

Hi Neil-

I should be out for a spin on the trails tomorrow morning (Friday the 23rd of Sept). I could meet you at 7:30 or 8 and be out for an hour or so? Let me know if you're interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Raam wrote: »
    Chaps,
    I found this at home. Green are main trails, light blue are secondary and red are step trails. It is a photo of an A3 sized map which I have. If you could do with more detailed pictures, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

P

I'd love a scan of that if you have the time. Been looking for something like this for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 neil.kennedy

Hi Neil-

I should be out for a spin on the trails tomorrow morning (Friday the 23rd of Sept). I could meet you at 7:30 or 8 and be out for an hour or so? Let me know if you're interested...

Thank-you fore the offer unfortunately I leave for work at 20 past 7 :-( any time at the weekend or in the evening would be great. Any way thanks again
    Kind regards
    Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Any one for a spin !!! I got a new MTB machine !!

Wot you get? I'll head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Yo I got a Giant talon 2 from Paul in the hub .. we'll should defo get out over the next while !

droidus wrote: »
    I'd love a scan of that if you have the time. Been looking for something like this for years.

Another request for this if you still have it.

Another request for this if you still have it.

Tis here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54788183&postcount=11

Ah, yeah, just looking for a scan or something a bit more legible. Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

Ah, yeah, just looking for a scan or something a bit more legible. Thanks anyway.

Tis too big to scan, but I'll try and take a better picture of it for you this evening.

Advertisement